pants color question

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

pants color question

Post by Trevelyan »

I was playing with dye over the weekend, and dyed an old pair of beat-up Dockers dark brown, and a new pair of savane a tan color. I was just curious what everyone thought of the color. It seems like the tan color is what I used to think Indy's pants looked like, while the dark brown seems to more closely match the color after I scrutinize the film. Thoughts?

Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

That's a lot closer (re: dark brown dye job) than the tan. Yeah, that's seems to be a common misconception about the color of the pants. They are clearly taupe or "officer pinks" type color found in the WWII military pants. Tan is not even close. That makes me very surprised that Peter is selling his pants "beige" which is tan to me. ?????? Oh well. But you are definitely on the right track.

-Sergei
Last edited by Sergei on Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trevelyan »

Thanks Sergei, that's what I was thinking too. I was really excited about Peter offering pants, but the color seems way off. As far as the Savanes, I got them from Burlington Coat factory. This particular pair doesn't have pleats, but I've seen some that do. The flap pockets are what's really important to me if I have to choose.
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

Could be I am way off, but the pics Peter posted of the Indypants where they not just to show the style and shape?

The fabric was more or less random chosen..or..?

Best regards

JAN
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

JAN wrote:The fabric was more or less random chosen..or..?
I know but personally, I thought the pants looked really nice in brushed cotton. Not screen accurate, but really nice.

Pyro.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

JAN wrote:Could be I am way off, but the pics Peter posted of the Indypants where they not just to show the style and shape?

The fabric was more or less random chosen..or..?

Best regards

JAN
Hi JAN,
If you read that thread, I asked Peter for clarification on the color. His reply was "beige".

-Sergei
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

And that "Beige" reply is precisely what is keeping me from ordering a pair until other people get them and can clarify the color. I wish Peter would come on here and give us the full story with the color.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

I have a pair of NH Raiders. I just ordered a pair from Wested. When they come in, I will take photos.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

For what its worth, this is scan I did of a swatch of NH pants I got from Schwammy.

I found that adding just a little bit of grey or black to the dye mix will adjust the brown down to apretty close match.
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

I really dont want to have to dye my Wested pants though. Hopefully Peter will just make them in the correct color.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Magnum wrote:I really dont want to have to dye my Wested pants though. Hopefully Peter will just make them in the correct color.

Peter does an awful lot of business in the film world and I am fairly sure that he is well aware of the coloration of the gear for Indy across the board, especially since he got the patterns, etc. from NH.

So, good Sir Peter, if you get this thread let us know what the scoop really is.

Peace
Ken
Starman Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Starman Jones »

This has probably been gone over at some previous time, but there is little, if any correlation between a color's name and what it looks like. That's why the Pantone Matching System was developed for the print trade. A pantone number represents a certain percentage of cyan, yellow, magenta, and black ink. I don't think the textile business is as cut and dried. One person's taupe may be another's beige. Even the same color will vary somewhat from dye lot to dye lot. IMO, all this fuss about screen accurate color is just so much dust in the wind. If it's close, go with it. In 25 years no one is going to care anyway.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

The difference between the printing industry and the fashion (textile) industry is that the names of the colors are part of the marketing of that item. That's how you get all of those crazy names that sometimes overlap. I have seen khaki called "dessert sand", orange can be "tangerine", and all of that sort of thing.

I'm not sure who they are marketing to when they use the color taupe. I hear that word as a color choice, and I say, "What's that? Just call it light gray (or light brown as it often is).

I guess that's what RIT is for.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Starman_Jones,

No offense but, you fail to understand that a lot of what we've been striving for is our own perception of said items. Based solely on screen shots or photos.
No one is arguing the differences of every version of Taupe out there.
We're just trying to get our own perception of screen accurate gear.

Thats what all of the fun is about. Thats why we're all here! :D ]

Dalexs
Division 6
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Division 6 »

Just to throw another log on the fire.
Most here are looking for the exact look of a picture or film still that has been processed to h$ll and back again.

For the most part the real item looks nothing like said images.

As an example:
When Episode 1 came out I decided to dye my hair the exact colour of OB1's for the opening.
I used as many reference pix as I could find and match the redish brown of those pictures.
When I saw the movie his hair was brown with no red in it, needless to say I was not happy.

Some want the real deal where others want what they see in the processed images.
It's just a matter of choice, not one being right or wrong.

D6