Searching for hat reblocking service. Newbie

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

BenBrim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Searching for hat reblocking service. Newbie

Post by BenBrim »

Hello all,

This could be a much asked question, but here goes:

I am located in middle Tennessee, and I have an Akubra Federation in need of reblocking. I have been google searching for a hatter nearby by that reblocks the hat to a good mould and with an open crown.

Does anyone know of someone who does that service in or any states around TN?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Searching for hat reblocking service. Newbie

Post by Michaelson »

Dave Garrison of Garrison hats.

He's located in North Georgia, just south of Chattanooga.

I'm located in South Central Tennessee myself, and Dave has reblocked 3 of my hats to date with complete satisfaction.

He's Local Land Surveyor here. Drop him a line, or look up his website and give him a call.

http://www.garrisonhatters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Also,

http://www.penmanhats.com
Services
Full Re-block - $105.00
Full Re-block (Penman brand hat) - $75.00
Re-flanging a hat - $15.00
Re-flanging a ( Penman Brand hat) - Free
Cleaning (bath) - $30.00
Cleaning (bath) for Penman brand hat - Free
Cleaning (spot) - $15.00
Cleaning (spot) for penman brand hat - Free
New Sweatband replaced - $40.00
New Liner replaced - $20.00
New Ribbon replaced - please contact me
New Bound Edge ribbon - please contact me
Though Garrison is a lot closer to you and maybe cheaper though his prices aren't listed.

I'm sure there are a few more out there that I haven't thought of.... and just maybe some in your area (though if Michaelson doesn't know about them, then I doubt it) Real hat shops are few and far between as I'm sure we all know.
BenBrim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by BenBrim »

Thanks for the info!

I will drop Garrison a line.

And you a right backstage jack about few hat shops being around. There was one in Nashville for a while, but to my knowledge it disappeared over a decade ago.

--BenBrim
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I can second Michaelson on David's work. He's made several hats for me and reblocked two, all with great success.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

All good points, backstagejack, but John Penman has also stated on MANY occasions he does not like to work on Akubra's, so he removed himself from that list of possible vendors for re-block.....that, and it was asked for anyone close/local. Penman is on the West Coast.

There is a fellow up in Kentucky, but he likes to mainly work on cowboy hats, so I didn't mention him either.

Dave is one of us, and worked directly with Steve Delk of Adventurebilt (one of the makers of the CS film fedora), so he has hands on experience with our hats.

Like I said, call or drop him a line and start a discussion and see what he says.

He fits all the criteria that you ask for in your original question......and he 'local' to 'us' in Tennessee. :TOH:

Regards! M