The MKVII satchel

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The MKVII satchel

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Couple of questions:

1st- when buying a MKVII there are several original manufacturers. Is there one that's better made than the others?
2nd- are there ones, be it new or used, that have better internal features?
3rd- does anyone use theirs on a day to day basis?, how do the originals hold up?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The MKVII satchel

Post by Indiana Jeff »

1. Bit of a tricky question to answer. Members will claim some manufacturers are better than others and there is a thread here somewhere that discusses which manufacturer was actually used in ROLA. In terms of purchasing, I don't know of any vendor who will dig through their inventory of bags to find a specific manufacturer brand so it's pretty much "you get what you get."

2. With original bags the internal features will be all over the map since they were likely modified over time. One of the features that most reproductions do not copy is a divider wall that split the bag into two sides. Think spaces side by side for larger water bottles, but you can't put a tablet inside the bag or put another way, instead of the interior being a rectangle the interior is two squares. Most of the originals have the divider wall removed and I don't think any of the reproductions have it. Removing the wall makes the bag much more functional.

3. Many, many members use their MKVII as an EDC bag. I have an original I carried for years before getting a reproduction made out of leather. As to how well they hold up? Well, you are talking about canvas that has been in storage for up to 70+ years, sometimes in less than ideal conditions. Personally I never had a problem with my bag, but members have had bags fall apart in weeks of moderate stress daily use.

My suggestion if you plan to use the bag as an EDC, get a reproduction. If you are really set on having an original, get one to use for costuming.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Thanks for your reply. It delves up more questions.
Do you recall if the internal divider goes all the way to the bottom panal, making for two separately sealed compartments?
Also, if I do get an original, or even a repo for that matter, is there anything I should be treating the canvas with to prolong the longevity of the piece?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

We're assuming you also read through all the info on the main page, right? A lot of your answers are there. :TOH:

http://indygear.com/igbag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep in mind all the bags are simply made of cotton, so other than cleaning and keeping dry, there's not a whole lot more you can do but maybe Scotchgard the bag after cleaning to hold down staining and help a bit with water resistance.

Cotton will rot if kept in a wet environment, so it's all in how it's stored and kept that determines longevity.

I've had originals that have fallen apart within a year, and some that just keep on going and going. It's all the luck of the draw.

My current bag is a W&G reproduction, and it's does just fine.

Regard! Michaelson
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Just did. Thank you for that.
I know it'll lose its "Indy" look but seeing how most of the manufactures on the main page say that they used either Cotton or linen base fabric. Has anyone tried to treat it like oilskin?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I've had an original Mrk VII acquired from the late Noel Howard that I've used fairly heavy since 1999 and it's just now getting to the point where I'm afraid the cotton webbing on the rings will break, but I think I had one in really good condition.

Personally, I'd go for a repro (and will be buying one) as they're usually about the same price, look the part fine and will probably last long than a random 70 year old bag that may or may not last you more than a year.

jmo

:TOH:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

You know what... get both. You know you want a real one and there are still unissued and very clean issued ones available at ok prices. Not as cheap as they were a few years ago tho.

Plus get a repro as a beater if you are worried the original wont last - Mag's ones get good write ups.

I still have the first original one I bought ten years ago and it is still fine, it was dirty and well used, washed it in the washing machine and it was good to go. The repro I bought (WPG) didn't survive a wash.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Kt Templar wrote:You know what... get both. You know you want a real one and there are still unissued and very clean issued ones available at ok prices. Not as cheap as they were a few years ago tho.

Plus get a repro as a beater if you are worried the original wont last - Mag's ones get good write ups.

I still have the first original one I bought ten years ago and it is still fine, it was dirty and well used, washed it in the washing machine and it was good to go. The repro I bought (WPG) didn't survive a wash.

[-X encouraging bad gear head habits....... and great ideas. ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Woodsrunner79 wrote: Has anyone tried to treat it like oilskin?

Not to my knowledge. Don't see any reason why a bag couldn't be treated with oil or wax.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Pygar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Pygar »

I used silicone spray waterproofing on mine, so as to avoid changing the look.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Stay tuned... we'll soon be offering genuine unissued satchels with our straps... :)
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

I own two Magnoli reproductions, and both have the center divider. The divider does not go quite all the way to the bottom of the bag. The divider is not quite centered. One section is slightly larger than the other. The smaller section holds a 40oz "HydroFlask" model insulated water bottle absolutely perfectly in place while hiking (although the top flap will not snap over the top of the 40oz flask, which is just slightly too tall).

Magnoli's original reproductions included a "double bottom," which I preferred, and which is accurate to the originals. Some people complained that "the bottom vent drains are only cosmetic," which was not the case; the bottom vents were merely covered by the interior panel of the double bottom. Later Magnoli bags lack the double bottom, which I suspect was to placate the complaints as much as to save on cost, so you can see the bottom vents from inside, but dust and moisture are more likely to get into the bag. Nevertheless, both Magnoli bags are great, very durable, and are stamped with period-appearing dates and numbers inside the top flap. I doubt that anyone short of a WWII uniform historian would be able to tell the difference between a Magnoli and an authentic 1940s issue bag. (And I simply fold up a piece of cloth to line the bottom of the single-bottom bag.)

The Magnoli bag also features a narrow interior front slot or pocket which does, in fact, allow an iPad (regular model) to fit, although it does not provide much padding or protection. There are also two narrow slots at the back of the main compartment, suitable for small notebooks or perhaps a passport or some pens and pencils.

I purchased my Magnoli reproductions a few years ago. I am assuming they are still the same, with the center divider and the narrow front slot.

I shall update this post with a photo here as soon as I can snap one.

{EDIT}

Magnoli reproduction stuffed full of junk to illustrate the compartments. Note iPad in the front slot, HydroFlask bottle and camera in the main center compartments, car keys in the accessory pocket at the top of the main compartment, and a point-n-shoot camera and eyeglasses case in the two narrow compartments behind the main compartments.
The two back compartments are very narrow, and are more suitable to notebooks, souvenir pamphlets, or perhaps a phone. With this much junk crammed into the bag, the top flap will not snap. However, removing the point-n-shoot camera from the back slot allows the flap to snap.

Magnoli reproduction with iPad, 40oz water bottle, and camera. The center divider in the main compartment, which does not reach the bottom nor does it come all the way to the top, is perfect for holding the water bottle in place. This is my go-to hiking bag; water bottle in one side, snacks in the other.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I have the exact same bag. I only dyed and redyed it to a brown greenish shade to match the Last crusade bag.

GREAT bag. Has held up perfectly the last 8 years. (and its been loaded)
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

I'm digging the Magnoli repo bag. I'm buying two just so I can experiment with one and hopefully tweek it to the point were I have the ultimate hiking/muzzleloading bag.

Thank you everyone who replied, you've been most helpful.

Cheers, Jordan.
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Woodsrunner79 wrote:I'm digging the Magnoli repo bag. I'm buying two just so I can experiment with one and hopefully tweek it to the point were I have the ultimate hiking/muzzleloading bag.
One thing to bear in mind: the Magnoli reproduction bag does not include a strap. You'll need to factor that in if price is a consideration.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

My 10 year old Magnoli bag is on it's way out the door, and I was planning on replacing it with a Todd's off his Garage Sale Facebook page. Are you saying that the Magnoli bag has more pockets, dividers, and storage options than a typical MKVII replica?
Ride Guy
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ride Guy »

I think Magnoli used to make a custom sized "adventure" bag that was dimensionally larger to hold laptops; not sure it that is still an option but would be a great way to carry.

Ride Guy
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Genuine unissued bags now available: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=66842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Got my bag from Magnoli. I had a Todd's bag and if it's a replica they did a fantastic job.
I like the buttons and smell better on the unissued one from Magnoli. I made the two straps for each. Magnoli bag with 1" bridle leather strap on left and 7/8" strap on todds on the right. Both are walnut bridle leather.
Inside and outside pics show the color to be more of a chocolate on the todds and a ruddy brown on the Magnoli. I used a thicker hide for the 1". Both will age great as bridle leather does.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Jeremiah,

The Todd's bag looks smaller, is it or is that a trick of the camera angle?

I've had a bridle leather strap on my EDC satchel for almost 9 years and love it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

no I don't think so. I lined them up with the seams and they appear similar in size. Todds also came with the webbing strap and a leather one. No markings inside his though but I really can't tell a difference other than the flap buttons are better on the Magnoli one.

Todds came with what I think is Latigo leather for the strap. I had to really put it through some abuse to get it softer and broken in. Not so with this bridle. When I cut it and by the time I have it all where I want it's quite flexable and floppy yet strong like bridle is.

Thanks.

Correction
I was curious so got out my measuring stick. Yeah todds bag is around 14 and 3/8" measuring from top of flap to the top of the bottom seam. Where magnolis real McCoy is 15"
I did this measurement with both bags flipped over and side by side. Seams line up good but the flap on mAgnolis is a bit longer. So that must be the difference. Good repro though.

Btw. I took Magnoli's description "unissued" to mean these bags he has for sale at the moment are unissued vintage bags and not repros. Am I wrong?
Ok I checked website and see two are offered. One repro and one original. This one is the original I bought.

Added some detail to the strap too.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

I have a genuine MkVII that I was lucky to acquire from a member here and a terrific Magnoli replica which is tough as nails. The genuine one is used for my Camera and photographic accoutrements.

Interestingly, my favorite bag for my Indy paraphernalia is a vintage MkVI which is perfect because besides looking the part (its been hammered), its got loads of pockets and space to store anything a self respecting grave-robber would require when going about his business.

Regards
MARK
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Nice Mark. I would love to find a MKVI bag one day.
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

yeah really want to pick one of these up since mine has some dry rot on the sides but has held up wonderfully for having been used as a diaper bag for the last 4 years....love these bags.