US Authentic jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

US Authentic jacket

Post by Hammerklavier »

https://www.flightjacket.com/indy-jacket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recently found they are produce a custom made indy jacket including HH, does anybody had one before? I heard nice things about their high quality A-2.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: US Authentic jacket

Post by Indiana Jeff »

This is the most recent thread pertaining to their Indy offering. Started by me three years ago. Alas I never did get pictures of my friend's jacket and he's since moved.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... jacket.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

thanks, Jeff. The picture they displayed is little strange , I think I will probably stick with Wested HH
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Not sure about their Indy jackets, but I own two of their A-2s, one in goat and the other in HH. The goat is amazing and soft and the HH is tough (not Aero or LW tough) but very durable and looks great as well.

R/ David
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

They have two types of horse hide. They have the cheaper chrome tanned leather and a more expensive aniline horsehide that they call vintage. Just go to the A2 section, click on custom and then you'll be able to select the Light, or Dark Vintage HH. A picture will pop up, showing an example of the one you selected. I like the dark better, myself. They don't offer the nicer "Vintage" selection for their standard, off-the-rack A2. Call them up and ask if they'll make an Indy jacket for you in this. It looks nice.

I have an A2 in the chromed tanned russet horsehide. The grain is nice, but the finish won't wear naturally. If you rub some of it of, different piece of the jacket will likely have different colors of finish underneath that top layer. Part of my jacket has a finish that rubs off easily with alcohol and the color underneath is a peanut color. The other parts of my jacket have a finish that won't come off easily with alcohol and the color underneath that is a dark brown that actually looks weird, not nice or attractive. So, you won't be able to plan on distressing it well with alcohol.

That being said, the part with the darker undertone can be sanded off and the leather underneath is sort of like the peanut color. I got knocked off my motorcycle and the pavement helped me make this discovery.

The grain is beautiful, though. Sorry, I don't have a digital camera to show you. But it is reminiscent of the grain you would see in real HH A2's or any other HH jacket. I don't know why they put chrome tanned finish over such nicely grained leather. You won't see the grain at first, though. It takes time to come out. I hope this rambling is helpful. I wear my A2 on my bike to this day. The insurance company of the guy that hit me actually paid me full price for it, due to the minor damage, and I got to keep it. Free A2! Free distressing job, too!