Cheap close-enough boot makeover

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Tobzors
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Cheap close-enough boot makeover

Post by Tobzors »

Hey fellow gearheads!

So, in order to finish my Indy costume the only thing I still missed was the boots. Aldens and even other boots such as Jcrew or Wolverines are extremely expensive, especially for a college student such as myself. Those boots cost as much as I earn each month and even though I love Indy, food and warm water has to take priority (silly, I know).

So I set out to find a pair of super cheap, close-enough boots that I could modify to look even better - and I think I found them.

I bought a pair of Ikon boots off Amazon as the overall shaped seemed right, they had a pretty good color for a pair of raiders boots and the stitches seem to be in the right place.
I got an awl, a needle and some thread and started sewing the stiches on the toes an the boots were missing those. After that I got some sandpaper and a hobbyknife and went beserk.

As a result I got myself a pair of close-enough Indy boots for a total of 40 dollars. Now I just have to wear them until they're good and worn. Overall, I'm pretty happy about them - but they are NOT comfortable! :D

Boots right out of the box: http://imgur.com/Ye2RggM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Modified Boots: http://imgur.com/Xll744k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just wanted to share,
good day to all of you :)
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Cheap close-enough boot makeover

Post by donovan »

great job ! couldn't have been easy sewing those stitches in too the toes - have you tried some gel insoles for comfort ?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well done indeed. Other members have tried their hand at adding moc toe stitching, but none look as good as these.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I was not expecting to be that impressed. Darn good job.
Tobzors
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Tobzors »

Thanks guys, really glad you like them.

I think I might replace some of the eyelets at the top of the boot with more accurate ones and maybe ask a bootmaker to do something about the heels and soles as I'm not used to wood heels, which is the primary cause for my discomfort other than the fact that it's not really a comfortable boot to begin with. The soles of the boot have absolutely no grip at all, resulting in me practially skating around everywhere I go! :D

The suggestion about gel insoles is also something I will definitely consider.

I hope to get myself a pair of Aldens eventually, but I will have to save up for those. Right now I'm having a lot of fun working on costumes and props on a budget level :)
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Great job! :clap:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

:clap:
Fantastic.
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

As a fellow college student I feel your pain. Do you have a link to the Amazon listing? Those are an excellent budget option.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'd leave the lace holes myself. I'm not a fan of the speed lace hooks since a cousin took a nasty fall down some stairs when he accidentally hooked one lace on the other boot (non-Aldens, but same kind of hooks).

If the sole is too slick you can have a rubber layer glued to the bottom of the shoe. I do this with all my dress shoes. It provides better traction and protect the sole. When the rubber layer starts to wear, I can easily get that replaced greatly extending the life of the shoes.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

While not SA. I am not a fan of speed laces either. More because I just don't like them.
Tobzors
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Tobzors »

CalMusquez wrote:As a fellow college student I feel your pain. Do you have a link to the Amazon listing? Those are an excellent budget option.
Got one right here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016RISZNC?psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unfortunately they aren't on offer, but perhaps you can find a different pair.

I think I'll still get the lace loops, never had any problems with them and I will only be wearing the boots when costuming.

Glad you guys like the boots, I feel all nice an warm inside now :D