Hat stand effects on brim

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Hat stand effects on brim

Post by JohnnyD97 »

(Forgive me if this has been discussed before but a cursory search didn't yield any specific thread)

Has anyone observed the effect storing a fedora on a hat stand versus laying it flat? Specifically I'm curious as to how it affects the brim shape. I keep my fedora on a stand and I started wondering if gravity mixed with humidity is slowly altering its shape. I wear it quite a bit in the hot and humid Florida weather, and I'm questioning if I should let it lay flat as opposed to the hat stand. Has anyone noticed any changes based on storage choices? How about hanging it up on a peg on a wall so it rests vertically? I'm certain how we hang these hats affect their look and longevity... Just not sure how since I don't have any other fedoras to compare against.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Hat stand effects on brim

Post by Jeremiah »

I too reside in this sweat box of a state. I highly recommend a hat stand over the laying of the hat down on its brim.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

My experience is that humidity is more of a factor especially with felt that doesn't have a lot of stiffener. I live in a hot dry climate and there seems to be little difference between a stand, hatbox or peg. When I go to the coast or the northwest the humidity messes with the hats ability to hold its shape almost immediately if I do anything but store it upside down on its crown.
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

Jeremiah wrote:I too reside in this sweat box of a state. I highly recommend a hat stand over the laying of the hat down on its brim.
Yeah but should we? Flat or on the wall I have some control over the shape the fedora settles in. On the hat stand do we introduce warping when the felt is saturated with humidity and then allowed to dry out.
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:My experience is that humidity is more of a factor especially with felt that doesn't have a lot of stiffener. I live in a hot dry climate and there seems to be little difference between a stand, hatbox or peg. When I go to the coast or the northwest the humidity messes with the hats ability to hold its shape almost immediately if I do anything but store it upside down on its crown.
Hmmm... I hadn't even considered upside down in a supporting hatbox. That seems like it would be optimal for retaining shape and keeping the crown high at the same time. But it also means trying to get my hat box back from my lovely wife...
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I live in South Texas with all its heat and humidity. I use Styrofoam meads from Hobby Lobby for my favorite hats. And I sometimes squeeze a little foam swatch in the front and back to get that swoop so that others looks cool to me as I stare at them. AND keeps that swoop as my own head normally distorts them.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I have always used the kinds of stands I show in this thread. Have never had a problem with distortion. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the sweatband is particularly sweaty I'll set the hat upside down on it's crown for a few hours/overnight to allow it to dry/air out.

You'll have more distortion by laying your hat flat on a table for extended periods. When I don't have a stand with me I put my hat upside down on it's crown.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff