I got the Strap with the Free Bag...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Jackson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I got the Strap with the Free Bag...

Post by Indiana Jackson »

I got the Strap with the Free Bag as the site states at What Price Glory. Just ordered my 1st MKVII Replica WPG Bag yesterday. Anxious to get it. My wife calls it my "man purse" :lol: . A couple of questions:

1. How satified are owners with the WPG MKVII over the original MKVII?
2. How often do you use or carry it?
3. When do you carry it or for what purpose?
4. Do you ever get strange looks when you do carry it?
5. and I know its been asked before, but what do you carry in it?

Thanks for your replies,

Indiana Jackson

PS This IJ gear collecting is becoming more & more addictive everyday?
morgan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by morgan »

It's great for carrying stuff, unfortunately it sometimes isn't big enough to accommodate some of my usual accessories e.g. A4 Sketch pad. You do get some funny looks, but "man bags" are becoming fashionable at the moment so I just pretend to be a trend setter.

morgan
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

The looks come with the territory, lol. If you do get a look, give a look back as if to say, "What are you lookin' at?". Usually if anyone does make a comment it's some punk kid who dosn't know Indy from Lara Croft. I took my bag with me down to Orlando and nobody really said anything, mostly because I was in most of my gear. I even wore it when I wasn't wearing my hat. I mostly used it for my camera and film. I also put a comb in there for when I did wear my hat, I could comb out my hat-head. I also put a roll of electrical tape in there too....I still don't know why :shock: . In the past, I put a couple cans of soda and other goodies when I went upto New Hampshire. I gotta admit that it is quite difficult to pick up chicks when you're wearing a "man's purse", let alone the other gear. But think of it this way, if she picks out that you do look like Indy, and she continues to talk with you, then don't let her go because chances are she likes a man with a bullwhip, lol. :whip:

Indy N. :wink:
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

BTW I liked the way you featured your purchase, bag straps with free bag (just the way WPG optioned it).

Well in my opinion, I like the WPG repros as good as the authentic ones. I have 4 WPG's, 6 MKVII's and 2 MKVI's. I tend to give my WPG more use since they offload the wear and tear from the real deals. My only disappointment with the gas mask bags is that I can't carry my laptop. :-)

-S
Sir Ernest
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Sir Ernest »

Sergei, give it time...the laptops of tomorrow will fit the bag with room to spare!

I should have my WPG MK on my doorstep when I get home...if not I think I'll take tomorrow off to wait for it...no joke! Then I'll post a picture with it.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Daniel
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Actually I think they are quite accurate when I compare them to my real one. Except for the buttons/snaps. I wish it was a green color though...
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

You know, these type of bags are very trendy around here now. I use my WPG bag daily- I usually just wear jeans, shirt and old converse- I've had a lot of comments on the bag from people in shops and stuff- it's fun telling them it's a replica of Indy's bag.
I just got back from New Zealand yesterday, where I used it to carry our important documents- I'm very happy with it, I'd keep the original WWII bags in safe keeping...
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

I think the quality of the MkVII has more to do with standards back then for EVERYTHING then simply the fact that it needs to be battle hardened. Things were built with quality in mind back in the day.

Where the WPG Is reallly good is for everyday use; you then don't need to concern yourself with wrecking a screen accurate antique should something happen.

Regards,

Farn
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

there grrrrrreat..............................except for the color........but thats just my opinion. I like my mk-vii to be olive green
-scott
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Re: NO WAY

Post by Sergei »

INDIANAMIKEY wrote:
Sergei wrote:BTW I liked the way you featured your purchase, bag straps with free bag (just the way WPG optioned it).

Well in my opinion, I like the WPG repros as good as the authentic ones. I have 4 WPG's, 6 MKVII's and 2 MKVI's. I tend to give my WPG more use since they offload the wear and tear from the real deals. My only disappointment with the gas mask bags is that I can't carry my laptop. :-)

-S
You're kidding me,,,,,,,the WPG bags aren't NEAR the bag that a real MKVII bag is. A real one is better ,stronger material , better craftsmanship (sewn much stronger). I have several MkVII's , and one WPG repro,,,,,I like the WPG and use it probably more on a day to day basis (it's replaceable if it's damaged,and I use it as a gym bag) but you can't compare them to a real one :lol:
Well that's my point. I am not saying the WPG is better. It's strong enough, and the detail accurate enough that it became my daily carry. The MKVII's are too valuable to trash, like you can with a WPG. I do like the stampings of the MKVII/VI's which lend itself to the history.

-Sergei
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I'll try and do the simple and short answers thing. 8)

1. They can't be compared with the real deal in my opinion. (I think that has to do with the 'me and those bags' thing though.) They are great bags however and just as good as any bag you would buy in a clothing store. What struck me the most when I got an authentic Mk VII was how sturdy the snaps were compared to the ones on the WPG. Great bags and very functional to sum it up.
2. During summer I used a Mk VII everyday to keep my stuff together without having to shove it all in pockets or in a backpack. During winter I have a pretty long coat/jacket thing that carries most of the stuff I need to bring. The bag would also be hidden under this jacket and it wouldn't look good on me as I like to wear it the way Indy does.
3. Whenever I need my stuff gathered depending on the situation. :D
4. Not that I've noticed. Army style shoulder bags are quite trendy these days and are carried by both guys and gals. Also, if you feel comfortable wearing it you tend to get less attention... and I do feel comfortable with it!
5. Useful junk.

Regards
Swindiana
Rumpled Fedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rumpled Fedora »

Cool!
I think I'm gonna get a WPG Bag! 8)
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

I think the WPG bag is just as nice as a vintage. Sure they have different materials and such but as far as being utilitarian they are equal in my book. I think the WPG bags are built pretty darn sturdy too. Unless you are looking for the historical attributes of a real bag there is nothing wrong with spending a little less money (and even less time searching) to buy a WPG bag. Buy a Keppler strap for it and you've still spent less money than what authentic bags are going for these days.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

that depends though kyle, in my case i got a unissued mkvii in mint
condition for 20$ from swindys vegas source. I got it for cheaper than the repro.
mola
Sir Ernest
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Sir Ernest »

Hey All,

Like I said yesterday...my WPG bag was not here when I got home so I took off work today and I'm waiting for it!

Daniel
Indiana Jackson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jackson »

Sir Ernest
How long ago did you place the order?
Sir Ernest
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Sir Ernest »

I placed it last thursday, but I live about 300 miles from WPG.

They said that they sent it out on Monday. Now, if they use UPS then that's cool, but it it's US Mail they were off on Monday; MLK.

Still waiting.

Dainel
Rumpled Fedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rumpled Fedora »

:?
So, are these WPG bags pretty strong?
Sir Ernest
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Sir Ernest »

Rumpled,

Strong enough for anything I could think of using it for. Thick material and lots of stitching. For the $38 it's a great bag.

Daniel
Rumpled Fedora
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rumpled Fedora »

Thanks for the info, Sir!
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

WPG Bag press studs

Post by The_Edge »

Just a FYI:

I just replaced the frilly weak press studs that come stock on the WPG bag with plain brass button snaps. I used a drill to go through the middle of each one and in one case had to use a pair of wire cutter so clip off the tip of one. I then used a snap set that you can purchase at just about any hardware store or hobby shop to install the new ones. Good as new, much better looking and much more secure. All this took me less that thirty minutes to do with very little hassle.

So if anyone dislikes the WPG press studs I thought you'd like to know that they are not all difficult to change out.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

A personal experience with the originals....be careful not to get them punctured, as they will unravel pretty badly. Think old pair of bluejeans with a hole. The old MkVII's unravel just like that, and you can only stop it with a patch. Been there, done this. It ain't pretty. That's why my WPG gets the nod for actual field use now. They don't unravel like the originals, and if they get wrecked, you can afford the replacement. It's a dicey market when it comes to replacing your MkVII, though. Regards. Michaelson