12 foot 10 plait bullwhip on ebay

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

12 foot 10 plait bullwhip on ebay

Post by giantthugee86 »

I was thinking of buying this...Should I avoid given how cheap the price is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-foot-10-plai ... Swr7ZW3I-f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Re: 12 foot 10 plait bullwhip on ebay

Post by Blake Bruning »

Yes!!! Unless you are just wanting to buy a costume piece.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Do a search for jrzjoe, not considered a quality whip.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Those whips are good for beginners in terms of price, but look at the tapering on it. The tip is not much thinner than the base of the thong meaning that crack is not going to be that good. I would do a little shorter and pay about twice as much and you would get an excellent first whip that you can crack and learn to take care of but not be too upset if you mess it up.

My $.02 :TOH:
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

The other problem with this guy is that the picture it isn't what's ever sent. He has a picture that he makes his stock photo but it's not what you get.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I believe someone video taking one of those apart before and posted it somewhere once... Tissue paper on the inside among other things.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

If you want a great deal on a cowhide whip from eBay find a guy named Arturo6060.. or something like that. He makes a good whip for around that price. I would go to pureehips.com and by a whip from Gus if you just want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a functioning whip.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

I'm going to chime in an say that unless you're on a tight budget I would recommend Blake Bruning and Steve Townsend. They both make some very high quality whips for very reasonable prices. These guys don't get much press maybe because their work is relatively unknown compared to some of the other whipmakers, but I would put their whip right up there with those other makers, and even over some of them. I have a few whips from both Blake and Steve in both Indy and Aussie styles, and I'm going to be placing more orders. They also do their best incorporating custom specs, which I have been known to request now & then...
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I agree! :TOH:
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

chenricy wrote:Those whips are good for beginners in terms of price, but look at the tapering on it. The tip is not much thinner than the base of the thong meaning that crack is not going to be that good. I would do a little shorter and pay about twice as much and you would get an excellent first whip that you can crack and learn to take care of but not be too upset if you mess it up.

My $.02 :TOH:
I already have an 8 foot latigo from Adam Winrich. :whip: Was just looking for a good but under $200 10/12 foot whip. On a budget right now.
Last edited by giantthugee86 on Fri May 06, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Blake Bruning wrote:If you want a great deal on a cowhide whip from eBay find a guy named Arturo6060.. or something like that. He makes a good whip for around that price. I would go to pureehips.com and by a whip from Gus if you just want to spend a couple hundred dollars on a functioning whip.
Can't find Arturo6060 on ebay. Love Gus's Raiders 12 plait whip but the 10 foot is $300.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

10-12' under $200, you probably need to look at paracord. And really not a bad option.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:10-12' under $200, you probably need to look at paracord. And really not a bad option.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
What about Todd's?
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

giantthugee86 wrote:I was thinking of buying this...Should I avoid given how cheap the price is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-foot-10-plai ... Swr7ZW3I-f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the correct reaction when you see a jrzjoe whip:

Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

giantthugee86 wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:10-12' under $200, you probably need to look at paracord. And really not a bad option.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
What about Todd's?
I have owned several jrzjoe whips and it is a miracle if you can get them to crack two times in a row (and that's if the fall doesn't break on the first). Some of his special whips have "a full 10 plait all the way down." Hence, no taper and an uncontrollable whip. Believe me on this one. Todd's are quite good for the money. I own an 8' in natural tan and it is wonderful, especially for the price. Just slather it with some Pecard's before you try to crack it.
folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by folkprophet »

Todd's are great for the price.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Stay FAR away!!