Last Crusade fedoras

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Screencapped
Vendor

Last Crusade fedoras

Post by Screencapped »

I guess I'm kicking 2016 off on this forum so hooray for me! ;) I'm curious what other members think about the number of hats Indy wore in LC and how many different ones were used? Also, which scenes did he wear a Stetson?
HAPPY NEW YEARS! :TOH:
Brian
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Last Crusade fedoras

Post by Jeremiah »

Was the Stetson the one he got from fedora?
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Not sure whether the one Fedora gave him was a Stet or not. I've heard the hats with the short brims were Stets though I'm not too sure how accurate that is. And I assume it would be the scene in Sr's house and possibly near the end in the canyon.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Gotcha.

Personally, I have only ever really liked the Raiders hat. At least for a hat I wanted to get and wear.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I'm not sure about Stetson being used in the Last Crusade....I believe they were all Herbert Johnson, once more for the third film, hence the return to a rather taller, boxier shaped body...

Temple used some that might have been Stetson, and maybe that's where the confusion is coming from?

But I might be wrong.....As far as I'm aware, the Raiders is Herbert Johnson, the Temple is Stetson and perhaps a HJ left over from Raiders, and then Crusade was back to HJ's.....

I rather like the Crusade shape....But it's less distinct than the Raiders, and I like standing out with that hat....The Crusade is an easier wearing hat, more subtle and classy than the others....Easily fitted to modern clothing and less obvious to the public....Lovely hat to wear though, as I'm now finding...
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Raiders and Crusade are my favorite movies but I seem to like the fedora from the last movie most. Kind of cool - a fedora for everyone. ;)
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

I don't know how to say this because it doesn't "take." But please consider this:

Myself, I was an intern at ILM in 1990 - 91. And at that time I was lucky enough to be able to cruise through the archives at leisure and examine things. I found Belloq's hat but all the Indy hats were HJ, Last Crusade era (no Raiders and seemingly no TOD). However, I did find one hat that was Beaver Brand (with the red label and thicker, stiffer fur). It was size 7 5/8 and had a narrower ribbon. I immediately concluded that it was the hat for the "Fedora" character but, just to be sure I asked Don Bies, the archivist at the time.

He said that it was, yes, the hat for the "Fedora" character in LC.

It was not an HJ.

I have mentioned this before but folks just don't seem to be wanting to believe it. ????
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I believed you then, and believe you now. :TOH:

Lee Keppler told me YEARS ago he had been able to work one of his hats into LC, and said it was for the Fedora character then, but asked me to not say anything as he didn't want LFL folks coming down on him for telling anyone he was the source. They didn't want him profiting outside the Lucasfilm group.

You confirmed it when you first posted that information, and I smiled when I read it, as it drove me nuts for years to know that information, but not be able to say anything since I promised Lee I wouldn't. ](*,)

Thank you for sharing that nugget of information. :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

Hello, Michaelson!

I forgot to mention the few exceptions... :rolling:

But as I used to be one of the more "scary" fans so I very much understand having blinders on. Big time. It's not a crime but it'd be fun to track down one of them Beaver Brand hats.

Never saw any Stetsons in the big box there either. I went through every hat in the archives and all LC hero or stunt or whatever. The hat in Donovan's appt. was labeled and there is a box that says "HF's favorite hat" but I was not allowed to open it!!!!

Folks there felt, feel that Raiders and TOD hats were prior stolen and by the wayside, etc.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: ;)

That has pretty much been the 'story' that's floated around for years.

One such hat was supposedly 'borrowed' by Robert Davi (Jake) from the Temple of Doon lot and worn in the Goonies. Some have said it was supplied by Spielberg for Davi to wear, also sourced from the TofD stock.

Who knows?

Beaver Brand hats are good, but the felt is definitely thicker and closer to a Western felt than a dress felt. That's the thing that caught my eye in viewing LC in the close up of Fedora's hat brim. It was DEFINITELY thicker than anything worn by Ford.

Regard! M
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Interesting information darthjones2. That's one job I would've truly loved :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not me! =;

I'd be so busy digging through boxes, I wouldn't get any work done. [-(

:Plymouth:

Regards! M
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Anybody want to guess the hat in the box? I wonder why Ford would designate a hat as his favorite yet never bother to keep it after they wrapped? :-k
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

Well, that was what was written on the box but it was probably just his "go to" hero hat. I guess. I simply wanted to see it but it was all taped up. And my guess too is that it was probably just a matter of fit as every other hat in there looked just the same.

There was another hero hat in there on a mannequin that looked a LOT like the cavern hat from end of LC - higher pinched crown and narrower looking brim (whether that was optical illusion or not). But I was told it was a hero hat, size 7 1/4 too, etc.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...then again, the box may be empty and Ford really did sneak away with the prize. :CR:

Regards! M
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

To me Ford seems like someone who's not the least bit nostalgic. I would really be surprised if he's held on to any gear or props from any of his films. However, George Lucas Appears to be just the opposite in that regard. I'd love to see those archives of his. :shock: =P~
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I seem to recall Lucas stating in the distant past that Ford did go home with one of the LC jackets. :-k

Ford does appreciate quality, though. I'll never forget the email I got from an EXTREMELY elated Steve Delk when Ford tried on the second iteration of Steve's AB, and said to Spielberg, and I quote, "Now THAT'S one @#$%ng nice hat!!!" :lol:

He said the same thing about a G&B Expedition that was presented to him by G&B right after LC, and from outside reports wears it quite often when he flies. We just wish someone would catch him wearing it when they had a camera in hand. :roll:

Regards! M
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

I don't see why they just didn't use some of the leftover LC hat's for the last film? :-k No disrespect to Steve Delk (what happened to him btw?) I've noticed too many fans including myself who weren't too pleased with the costume in KOTCS. Of course I should point out that until I joined COW & started my IJ obsession a couple years back I saw no problem with the costume originally.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

For one reason, those hats were over 19 years old and kept in pretty loose storage, so they weren't in that good a condition and would have required extensive reworking to get them film ready.

Most importantly, though, the main concern about the hat for CS was the fact they had to be water resistant due to all the water Ford had to deal with in the latter part of the film.

Beaver is water resistant. Rabbit is not, especially HJ's, so there was an actual concern about material, so the HJ's couldn't be used. Remember the dunking the HJ received in the river during TofD? It completely collapsed in that one scene. The AB beaver felt hats did not. Speilberg/Pollack did not want a repeat of that situation for CS.

Steve has been very ill for several years. You can read more in the vendors section.

Regards! M
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Never knew the KOTCS hats were beaver. Sorry to hear about Delk's health issues :cry: I've been perusing the old archives here in the Fedora section all the way back to the beginning & I noticed that Steve was all over this forum up until a few years ago. What an incredibly knowledgeable guy he is in terms of hats! Amazing :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

He was experimenting with hats before Indygear started in 2002.

He was with 'us' at Indyfan.com too and was learning his craft messing around with Akubra Campdraft open crown hats 'back in the day'. :TOH:

Regards! M
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I seem to recall some debate a few years back on whether Ford wore a Stetson on screen at all. :-k

The one that stands out in Temple is the shot from the cockpit of Lao Che's plane. I can't recall any from Crusade that stand out so glaringly from the obvious HJs.

Trying to recall that debate now, I seem to remember a few guys mentioning that the contract with Stetson simply required Fore to wear the hat and didn't specify that the actual shot with said hat needed to be used. If he was filmed or photographed with the hat and the scene/session later discarded, it still qualifies as having been in the film and fulfills the contract. I know the same concerns were raised with claims by certain jacket vendors. But, that's a whole other can of worms I won't open up here...or in the jacket section. :-$

Frankly, I think the hats in Temple were generally better looking than the ones in LC. There was more inconsistency with the the crease than in the other films, but most looked better than Crusade. Just my opinion. And that bridge scene hat...one fine looking hat if you ask me. Rivals the SoC hat in a big way, if you ask me. :[

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, I, too, understood the hat switch in the Ford Tri-motor cockpit was the Stetson, and was done so in order to fulfill the 'product placement' requirement in the contract with Stetson, and was told this from several sources in the industry, specifically the Paramount Studio prop department.

You remembered correctly, Dave. :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Just call me the "Rememberer of Things." :P

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: ;)
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

darthjones2 wrote:Hello, Michaelson!

I forgot to mention the few exceptions... :rolling:

But as I used to be one of the more "scary" fans so I very much understand having blinders on. Big time. It's not a crime but it'd be fun to track down one of them Beaver Brand hats.

Never saw any Stetsons in the big box there either. I went through every hat in the archives and all LC hero or stunt or whatever. The hat in Donovan's appt. was labeled and there is a box that says "HF's favorite hat" but I was not allowed to open it!!!!

Folks there felt, feel that Raiders and TOD hats were prior stolen and by the wayside, etc.
I just had a conversation with Steve Delk and he said that in his opinion the Donavan's apt fedora was indeed a Stetson. He even told me he talked to the guy who made that particular hat.
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

But the Donavan's appt. hat was an HJ - at least the one in archives labeled Donavan's. It had an HJ logo and felt/ looked the same. But always ??? with this stuff, right?

And Fedora's hat was definitely a Beaver Brand western hat. I picked it up, put it on, etc. It was 7 5/8.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Yes I agree. I looked at screen caps of the scene in the apt and if you look closely you can even see the HJ logo in the hat when Indy takes it off his head. Maybe the Stetson is the hat in Sr's house. It looks to have slightly different characteristics compared to the apt.fedora e.g.. taller crown, shorter brim..But like you said" with this stuff?" :TOH: