100% Wool Fedora - Steam to the rescue

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Curtis Bessette
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

100% Wool Fedora - Steam to the rescue

Post by Curtis Bessette »

Good Day,

I hope all is well. I am a newbie and am acquiring some gear, on a budget. I purchased a Jaxon 100% wool fedora through Wested and have been steaming it with hat hardener to get a Raiders look:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... JpIjoidCJ9

Not sure how to upload a pic here, so the URL is above.

I am happy how it is turning out, except for the brim. I have tried ironing it and also steaming it with a heavy dose of felt hat hardener. I am tempted to undo the sewn seam. Would I wreck the edge and make the brim droopy if I took out the edge stitching?

Blessings
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: 100% Wool Fedora - Steam to the rescue

Post by Jeremiah »

Welcome.

Guess you are doing the best you can do with what you have and I can certainly appreciate "indy on a budget", but I fear you will only truly be satisfied by getting a fine fur fedora in either rabbit or beaver. Only so much you can do with a wool fedora and that bound edge.

Saving up or selling a few things will get you there eventually. Good luck.
Last edited by Jeremiah on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Looks pretty good for wool felt.

My advice, don't mess with the bound brim. It's not that the brim would end up "floppy" (it's supposed to be very floppy) but you'll never get it to look right. A hatter could trim it and make it clean, but better to put the money toward a custom. :TOH:
Curtis Bessette
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

I will certainly be saving up and holding out for a Penman Raiders in beaver. :) Thanks for the tip on leaving the brim as is. Cheers guys.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I agree with everyone else. Sometimes we want something to be something that it's not. Just appreciate it for what it is: a brown fedora. Not everything needs to be an Raiders. :shock:

Dave
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

As you wear it, the hat will take on character. It looks like you have done a good job with the crown, and that is the hardest part to really get down for the hat. Just let the rest of it happen. I bashed an old Stetson wool Temple and got a more Raiders look to it, but once I got my hands on a nice rabbit fur fedora made in a closer Raiders style the differences became apparent. Still, I wear both, depending on what I am doing. Both hats have a worn in style of their own.
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Looks like my old Dorfman Pacific that I cut the bound edge with scissors :lol: not recommended. #-o
Curtis Bessette
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

adiemilio wrote:Looks like my old Dorfman Pacific that I cut the bound edge with scissors :lol: not recommended. #-o
Thanks for the info. I was contemplating trying that. :)
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Is that the "outback" style DP? I trimmed the brim on mine with decent results. It was one of the first Indy hats I owned. Yours looks nice. :TOH:
Curtis Bessette
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

anindyjones wrote:Is that the "outback" style DP? I trimmed the brim on mine with decent results. It was one of the first Indy hats I owned. Yours looks nice. :TOH:
Thanks, Anidyjones. The one in the first pic is from Wested, a Jaxon.

When you trimmed the brim, was it stiff enough by itself, or did you need to use a stiffener spray on the brim to keep the shape you wanted?
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

It was pretty floppy after the trimming. I believe I did spray it lightly with some felt hat stiffener. If you do this remember to steam the brim in the areas you I tend to use stiffener on BEFORE you apply the stiffener. Otherwise it will leave a flakey residue. :TOH: