What whip do you regret passing along the most?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Blake Bruning
Vendor

What whip do you regret passing along the most?

Post by Blake Bruning »

I thought this might be a bitter/sweet topic.

My biggest regret is an 8' 12 Plait Joe Strain Raiders. It was the first kangaroo I bought and the first of many from h. I needed finances bad and still regret it years later.
Basil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: What whip do you regret passing along the most?

Post by Basil »

I regret selling you my 12 foot strain lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

That was a great whip! I regret passing it along as well. Basically every whip but two of them that I regret selling again are Strain Whips.
Basil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Basil »

Aw you sold it. Lol I was tempted to see if you wanted to sell it back to me lol

RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

16 plait, 9ft KOTCS Strain. That was such a nice whip.

Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Maybe I should title this...what Strain whip do you regret passing along the most...lol
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Then allow me to chime and say anything than I ever owned by Mike Murphy, even the ones that I felt didn't suit me that well. My reasons for selling most of them were length, handle length, color, and then finally had gotten out of the sport and sold them to fund other hobbies. I suppose my rationale was that he was one of the full time makers, and he was pretty young - way too young to retire. Who would've thought that a career change was a possibility?? I also regret selling a few Strains and the Del Carpio's that I also owned around the same time. And a few of the Benjamin Scott's as well...
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I regret a bit passing 6ft roo stockwhip by Kooniu and 10ft Indy whip by Emanuele. They were amazing whips.
I regret not buying a Murphy whip too. They were relatively cheap, cheaper than other Aussie makers. And Del Carpio's whip when the prices were more appropiate for my wallet :(
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

Basil wrote:Aw you sold it. Lol I was tempted to see if you wanted to sell it back to me lol
Might this be the one you're speaking of?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=64893
Basil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Basil »

link doesn't work.

Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Most likely because it sold & the post has now been deleted.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Not regret passing on, but my biggest regret has to be leaving my bullwhip at my ex's place. I never did see that Joe Strain ever again...

It was a beaut. Made right before KotCS came out, 8ft in whiskey/brandy. Too bad Strain retired...
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Not regret passing on, but my biggest regret has to be leaving my bullwhip at my ex's place. I never did see that Joe Strain ever again...

What?!? Go back over there and pick it up!! Right now!!!
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Tyrloch wrote:
Castor Dioscuri wrote:Not regret passing on, but my biggest regret has to be leaving my bullwhip at my ex's place. I never did see that Joe Strain ever again...

Considering that breakup was 3 years ago, it's either dying slowly in a landfill, or with any luck, possibly in the hands of one of our members... One can dream. ;)

I think we all can learn an important lesson here, everyone. :Plymouth:
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:
Tyrloch wrote:

Considering that breakup was 3 years ago, it's either dying slowly in a landfill, or with any luck, possibly in the hands of one of our members... One can dream. ;)

I think we all can learn an important lesson here, everyone. :Plymouth:
Yeah!! Grab your Indy gear first in a divorce or breakup!
szlsznsk
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by szlsznsk »

10' saddle tan Joe strain made right before KOTCS that someone stole from me in Fayetteville north Carolina while I was in the army. I was on a training exercise for a month when I got back my house was ransacked and when I asked a neighbor they said that there had been a garage sale there (at my house) earlier that week. That whip was the only indy whip I had ever bought. It was perfect. Now I braid my own out of 550 cord and dream about what it was like to hold a masterpiece. I will never get that whip back.
lelec2
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by lelec2 »

Since I seriously started collecting whips I bought many whips, but also sold some of them.
I could do different names, Murphy, Bernie, Pagey, Jacka and even a light used Nichicolas Ammann I bought from Del Carpio... but certainly one that lacks most is a 10ft ToD by Strain recently sold. Until a few months before I always thought that I would never have sold that whip :(
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

szlsznsk wrote:I was on a training exercise for a month when I got back my house was ransacked and when I asked a neighbor they said that there had been a garage sale there (at my house) earlier that week.
Waitaminit...so lemme get this straight. First, thank you for your service.

Someone held a garage sale at your house without your knowledge? Do tell. :-k
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I want to know what kind of neighbors know you are gone, know there was a garage sale that was obviously not tou, and didn't do anything about it?
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

I'll have to admit I'm very curious...
szlsznsk
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by szlsznsk »

Yup wild I know. I had recently moved into the neighborhood and had not introduced myself and apparently, I later found out, that house had had several tenants in a short period of time. This was in Fayetteville N.C. And less than a mile away was a very seedy mobile home park. I didn't know anything about the area at the time. Any way I had left for training and soon after a small group of special people who where locals decided to have a garage sale at my house with my stuff. Ps. None of my neighbors who may have bought things offered them back. I got a home security system and got to know my neighbors after that... None of them were trustworthy. The only good thing about the whole disaster is that in the pile they had made of the things I had left somehow by miracle was my AB fedora. I was shocked. While extremely grateful for that luck I still morn the loss of my joe strain. Also of a handmade knife my friend made when I was 21. Damascus steel and iron wood.