Webley Holster

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Webley Holster

Post by zhund »

I decided to try my hand at making my own LC holster. I use the term "making" loosely, as I'm actually just dying and distressing a premade Webley holster for $35 from here http://www.armynavysales.com/products/w ... ster/h113/. This holster has surprisingly thick leather and is well constructed for the cost. I find it suitable to carry an actual firearm.

Here are some before/after photos, and the next step will be to mold it to the pistol and do some distressing. Anyway, I think it looks good so far.

Image Image

ImageImage

Once I wet mold it to the pistol and sand it a bit, I'm going to scrape it in sand, bang it around on some rocks, and smash it up a bit.

Regards,
KZ
aichdawg
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: Webley Holster

Post by aichdawg »

KZ,

That dye job looks great! Looking forward to the post-distressing pics.

What did you use for dye? Im interested in trying your method, but i worry about the dye bleeding onto my pants.

Aichdawg
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Looks good. Did you find that the dye you used changed the feel of the leather at all? Hand dying is something I am still trying to iron out with my holsters. Many choices and many types of leather so getting the right combo is crucial to my eye.
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

aichdawg wrote:KZ,

That dye job looks great! Looking forward to the post-distressing pics.

What did you use for dye? Im interested in trying your method, but i worry about the dye bleeding onto my pants.

Aichdawg
Thanks very much. I used Fiebings (alcohol based) leather dye, a mix of dark brown with some black to darken it up a bit more. I stripped as much of the finish off as possible using deglazer and rubbing alcohol. After I got it looking the way I liked, and it was dry for a day or two, I gave it a few coats of Pecards to try to seal things in. I've taken a white handkerchief to it, rubbing vigorously (insert joke here), and nothing is really rubbing off. So it should be safe for pants. However, I haven't been exposed to the elements yet so I can't guarantee it.
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

Jeremiah wrote:Looks good. Did you find that the dye you used changed the feel of the leather at all? Hand dying is something I am still trying to iron out with my holsters. Many choices and many types of leather so getting the right combo is crucial to my eye.
Thanks. If I recall correctly, the holster was a bit stiffer when I started things off. Through wet molding and really working on the leather, bending it and rolling it up during the course of a day, it has softened a little but still feels solid enough to carry an actual pistol. I don't believe the dye itself changed the leather, it was more a factor of me wetting it, stressing it, and using Pecards.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Ok good. Sounds like all worked out well. I once had a piece of leather I loved the feel of. Once I dyed it though, it felt like a different piece all together.

Cheers.