The pros and cons of an 8 foot vs 10 foot bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

The pros and cons of an 8 foot vs 10 foot bullwhip

Post by JohnnyD97 »

I want to purchase a Del Carpio Raider’s style whip but I am having a hard time deciding on the the length. Has anyone purchased a 8 foot whip and wished they had purchased a 10 footer? Or has anyone purchased a 10 foot whip and wish they had gone with an 8 foot? Any buyer’s remorse on a particular length, and if so, why?

I expect the 8 foot length will be easier to practice with… Besides extra loops on a belt, what are the advantages of a 10 footer?

I have a Penman Raider’s style hat because I know it’s a great hat that can take a lot of abuse (Penman’s video stomping on it sold me) and an G&B Expedition because it’s 'built like a tank'. For me, function is more important than screen accuracy, although with the Penman and G&B I feel like I didn’t have to sacrifice accuracy for functional performance. They look great. But it seems like with the bullwhip, you either go with what Harrison Ford wore on his belt (10 foot) or what he used when he was actually cracking it (8 foot).

Any thoughts, tips, pointers, regrets? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

John
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Re: The pros and cons of an 8 foot vs 10 foot bullwhip

Post by ChrisMD »

I have an 8 foot whip and I love it. I would PREFER a 10, but the price was right on it so I snatched it. When using it, it just feels short to me. But that very well could just be me. I would go 10. Overkill is underrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by InexorableTash »

This is why I bought a 9 foot whip from Bernardo...
DJN
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by DJN »

As someone who has WAY too many whips in his collection - LOL - many 6 ft, 8 ft, 9 ft and 10 ft -- I would suggest you go for the 8 for sure. 8 ft looks just as good on the belt as the 10 - and yet it's easier to learn and do more stuff with than the 10 ft. 8 is a great length all around for a Morgan style Indy whip.
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

Chris - does it feel short to you when using it or just when you are looking at it coiled up? As Bernardo explained to me, the whip is 8 feet long but then you basically have another 3 feet to the end with the fall and cracker/popper. So that's 11 feet, which seems pretty long on paper.

Inexorable - are you happy with the 9 foot length? I was looking at that as well. does it still handle well for you at that length? In your opinion, is that a happy middle ground?

Thanks guy.
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

DJN - what are some of the things you have found you can do with the 8 foot that is more difficult with the 10? A 9 foot has also been suggested. Do the 9 foots handle more like the 8, the 10, or is it unique to itself?

Thanks for your input as well.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

My very first whip was a 10'. It was a combination of wanting my whip to be 'manly' and a good sale price came up.

I had never cracked a whip before. I took it to the QM Summit and eagerly joined up for the whip cracking for beginners class. I couldn't get it to do a darn thing so Dan loaned me an 8' to practice on. He specifically said, "Guys always want a 10-footer, but they are not the best for cracking and really hard to learn on." I got a great crack out of the 8' on my first try. Once I had the timing down on the 8' I switched back to the 10' and could get it to crack, but much preferred the 8'.

I've since sold the 10' and bought a 7'. I really like the 7'. It handles well and, for me, is easier to do multiple cracks/transitions.

The other thing to consider along with the length is the overall weight of the whip. It all depends on the overall construction as to how heavy a whip is and the length is only a part of that equation. A heavy leather 8' is going to handle similar to a lighter nylon 10'.

Look at videos of whip performers. Very few use whips longer than 8' if they are doing any kind of speed work. It's a matter of the physics, the extra length takes longer to move and slows down the routine.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
DJN
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by DJN »

JohnnyD97 wrote:DJN - what are some of the things you have found you can do with the 8 foot that is more difficult with the 10? A 9 foot has also been suggested. Do the 9 foots handle more like the 8, the 10, or is it unique to itself?

Thanks for your input as well.
No problem. As Indiana Jeff said above - it's very unusual for whip performers to use a long whip in performances. Most use 6 ft or so - much faster and more accurate.

The 8 ft is just more maneuverable and easier to use and isn't as slow as the 10 ft. The whips I find myself using most often are from 5 ft to 7 ft. Once you start to get above 8 ft it starts to get a little less fun other than to just crack - so the 9 ft feels more like 10. Yes, you can do pretty much anything with a 10 ft whip that you can do with and 8 or 6 ft -- it's just not as fun - it's slower and heavier etc.

You want to have fun with it and play with it. There is a reason whenever Indy was using the whip is was usually an 8 ft.

If you are going to have an Indy whip -- and one you would actually use -- II would go for the 8 footer. You won't regret it.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

John,

First, at least in Raiders, whether HF ever wore a 10 footer or not is debatable. See my thread on the subject:
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... iders+whip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Morgan stated that 10 footers were used for the belted whips, but as far as I know he didn't specify which movie(s). Based on screencaps alone, I believe that it was the second and third installations where one can clearly see more coils on the whip. Certainly the filmmakers felt that more whip looks more impressive on a belt. Fair enough.

I own both lengths. +1 on having more fun as a novice with the 8 footer versus the 10 footer. Research will tell you that the ten footer may be better for performing wraps and grabs. As a Raiders devotee, I'm perfectly content mastering a few Cairo-style moves. I've also transitioned from a 10 footer to an 8 footer on my gear. :whip:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

My first real Indy whip was a David Morgan 12-footer, because I'd read a letter in one of the Marvel TFAOIJ comic books stating that Indy's whip was 12 feet long, and I stubbornly wanted mine to be accurate to the 'official' spec. But I never considered the weight / length issue until I actually got the whip in my hands and began swinging it around. Although it rolled out beautifully and made graceful arcs in the air, the thing weighed a ton, it was very difficult to keep off the ground, and after 10 minutes of practice my arm & shoulder was sore from the effort. After a few years, I realized how practical an 8-foot bullwhip truly is, and I gladly went that route. Do yourself a favor and go with an 8-footer. It's the perfect length for everything.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

After reading all this I am really glad I got an 8' whip. I was in love with the idea of extra curls when belted but after all this, I am happy with my decision!

JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

Thanks everyone - this is exactly the kind of real world experience with 8 and 10 foot whips I was hoping to find. I will be able to buy an 8 foot bullwhip without reservation now.

And Cajunkraut - I read through the thread you posted and now I'm not entirely convinced it was EVER a 10 foot whip on his belt. That makes this purchase even easier. Thanks for that too.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

JohnnyD97 wrote:Thanks everyone - this is exactly the kind of real world experience with 8 and 10 foot whips I was hoping to find. I will be able to buy an 8 foot bullwhip without reservation now.

And Cajunkraut - I read through the thread you posted and now I'm not entirely convinced it was EVER a 10 foot whip on his belt. That makes this purchase even easier. Thanks for that too.
This is what it's all about. Welcome to the forum. :) :tup:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Now buy that whip and get crackin'! :whip:
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

...placed the order with Bernardo. Just waiting on the total cost from him so I can send payment.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Thought I should ask, how tall are you? I'm 6'1" and have 12', 10' and 8'. Overall, my preference is the 10', and specifically a Joe Strain. As stated earlier, a 12' Morgan takes a lot of effort, my first whip too. After using the 10', the 8' seems light and a bit short. Again, a lot of personal preference here... If you're on the tall side, I'd go 10'; if you're 5'9" or less, the 8' would probably suit you better.

:TOH:
DJN
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by DJN »

Well just to add to the above - I'm 6'3" -- have all sizes of whips from 3 ft to 12 ft -- and my preference is for 6 ft to 8 ft - especially for an Indy style whip.
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

I'm 6 foot myself. I think Ford is your height. I imagine if I started with a 10 and developed any proficiency with it, an 8 foot would seem short in comparison. Do I think I could get proficient with a 10 foot whip? I'd like to think so, but I'm fine starting with an 8 and working my way up if necessary instead of getting frustrated with an unwieldy 10 foot whip. But yeah, I thought about the height issue before.

It's too bad there's not a way to try out these ships before buying. Several hundred dollars is a lot of money to risk on speculation... I wouldn't buy a suit without trying it on first, but this thread has given me confidence in selecting the 8 foot length.

Who knows.. Maybe in a few months I will want to move up. Heck, I may want to move down to a 6 or 7!!!
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

I started on a 10 footer & loved it!! I was 12 at the time & didn't have any idea of what I was doing, Lol! only in the last 6 years or so have I started to understand how to really crack a whip well- my whip collection is up around 80 whips now- all different styles & sizes, my preferred length when using a single bullwhip is 7ft. - in my opinion everyone is different & everyone has their own subtle differences in style of cracking a whips- If you can, I think you should borrow a 8 & 10 ft Indy Whip (& maybe even a 6 & 7 footer too) try them all out & then you can decide what works for you-
-T.Rex
InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by InexorableTash »

JohnnyD97 wrote: Inexorable - are you happy with the 9 foot length? I was looking at that as well. does it still handle well for you at that length? In your opinion, is that a happy middle ground?
It's a mixed bag. Definitely handles as a longer whip (more like 10 foot) but not quite as sluggish. As much as I enjoy it, I'd probably have been happier with 8'. So I think you'll be very pleased with your purchase.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

JohnnyD97 wrote:I'm 6 foot myself. I think Ford is your height. I imagine if I started with a 10 and developed any proficiency with it, an 8 foot would seem short in comparison. Do I think I could get proficient with a 10 foot whip? I'd like to think so, but I'm fine starting with an 8 and working my way up if necessary instead of getting frustrated with an unwieldy 10 foot whip. But yeah, I thought about the height issue before.

It's too bad there's not a way to try out these ships before buying. Several hundred dollars is a lot of money to risk on speculation... I wouldn't buy a suit without trying it on first, but this thread has given me confidence in selecting the 8 foot length.

Who knows.. Maybe in a few months I will want to move up. Heck, I may want to move down to a 6 or 7!!!

Really, it is just personal preference. There is no rule and it depends on what you like to do with it. If you want to do wraps, a little extra length is nice. If you want to hit targets, it's good to start with something a bit shorter to get the feel of controlling it. I think you'll love an 8' Del Carpio. Brilliant work those.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

My 9' Del Carpio is my all-time favorite whip.

DHW
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

I placed an order for the 8 foot over the weekend. I had asked him his opinion too, which was for the 8 foot as well. Now I just have to wait two months...
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

If function is what you're after, I feel you would have a more enjoyable experience learning and practicing with an 8ft. Take some time and break that 8ft in and then consider a 10ft. Oh! And post pictures when you get it! :)

Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

You could try out some whip lengths by asking around. Set up a post asking if there is a cow member in your area and if you could visit to inspect some whips.

Or if you have $40 to spend, go to youtube and look for Adam Winrich's videos for how to make a whip. He has a way to go to your local hardware store and make a cheap whip. It is about $20 a whip give or take. They are not designed to last forever, but it will be good enough to learn some basics and get a general idea of what an 8' vs. 10' may feel like. Granted it will be fatter and lighter, but that is always a good way to go and pick up some basic development so your brand new high end won't have to deal with your immediate learning curve.

Or, find a good deal on a good used whip from a reputable maker. You could play with it for a few weeks, then sell it out. Maybe make $20...maybe lose $20...consider it the price for renting.
Last edited by Blake Bruning on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Jeremiah is one Cow Member I know of that lives in FL. he has a Casey Tyler, a Joe Strain, He has one of mine. He has owned a Jakka. It would be good to visit him and try what he has...that is if he is willing. He is a great guy. Very Kind. Very Friendly.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

It may have been mentioned, but I didn't notice it...

One thing to keep in mind about whip lengths is that it's talking about the handle/thong (braided parts) ONLY. The length does not include the fall and cracker -- which add almost another 2 feet to the length.

So a 10 foot whip is really closer to 12 feet in overall length. Include your arm and you're pushing nearly a 30 foot diameter circle of space around you required for practice.

In addition to just being overall easier to learn on, the space issue is another reason shorter whips can be desirable -- you just have more options for creating a safe practice space.
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

Just to close the loop on this... I ordered the 8 foot DelCarpio bullwhip back at the beginning of summer and received it around Labor Day. I am so happy with both the quality of Bernardo's craftsmanship and the length of the whip itself. It's really perfect! And although it's an 8 footer, as others have mentioned, it's really 11 feet tip to tip. If anyone leaves near Tampa Florida and is on the fence about what length to buy, feel free to contact me and I will be happy to let you check out what a great deal an 8 footer really is.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Drive over to orlando and we can crack some del carpios together.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Awesome posts all. I live in West Palm myself and ordered both a 10 foot morgan and an 8 delcarpio and have yet to receive them but when i do you are all welcome to practice down here as well!
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Jeremiah wrote:Drive over to orlando and we can crack some del carpios together.
Hope you've been reading about all the Indy stuff that Disney will be doing =P~
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

And just to chime in on the length issue of the whips, not that I finally have both the 8 foot Del Carpio and the 10 foot Morgan and I can tell you they are different but fun in their own ways. MAN they take time to break in! So know that once you get your whip it will take what seems like a long time before she coils and rolls nicely (don't even think about wrapping it tight enough to wear on your belt for a while).

First off I received the 10 footer first and strained my arm trying to break it in and do cracks like on the youtube videos (and this is being gentle of course). I got the 8 footer right after and was amazed at how easier it was to perform those cracks and break it in than the 10 footer.

So being able to do the multiple cracks quicker is fun on the 8 footer, but I LOVE the power I feel and the satisfaction I get from pulling off a multiple crack combo on the 10 footer. I definitely suggest both but you are probably better off with an 8 footer to start with to pull off combs. Once you are comfortable with that the 10 footer will feel more powerful and make you relearn your combos since the timing is different and will make you love learning everything all over again.

In West Palm area if are near and want to see the difference yourself. ;)
folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by folkprophet »

Interesting to read all the views here. I, personally, find it more fun to crack a 10 footer. It is harder, for sure, but I enjoy the longer throws, louder cracks, and the overall challenge. Of course, cracking an 8 footer is very nice too. If I could only choose one I'd go with 10. But really, I want both. I also, decidedly, dislike cracking shorter (5 or 6 footer) whips. Never tried a 12...but I expect that it would be a bit much. Not all 10 footers are equal though, as has been pointed out. Weight makes a difference.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

My personal preference is a 10 footer; to my mind, it looks more correct on a belt, and just 'feels' right to me.

In a practical sense, a 10' is a good 'middle range' whip, between short 'trick-style' whips and longer styles... Something like a 10' is sort of like a swiss-army knife, in that it can do multiple styles passably, but is not inherently good at either (jack of all trades, master of none).

I realize that's just highly subjective, but feel free to form your own opinion. I regularly sport a 10' and 12' when i'm in the outfit, anything less just seems...Skimpy.

I will say too that i'm a little biased towards longer whips, in that the first whip I owned (and taught myself to crack) was a 12-foot model...

I'm actually working on braiding a really high-end replacement for my current pair of 'Indy' whips, and my biggest quandry is...10 or 12 feet?
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

I have to go with the 10 footer as well. It just feels more powerful in my hands and the half second delay in pulling off multiple cracks actually forces you to be more patient with learning the moves which only helps. I totally feel like my 10 footer can knock a gun out of someone's hand; just hope I never have to find out if I'm right. :shock:
folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by folkprophet »

chenricy wrote:I totally feel like my 10 footer can knock a gun out of someone's hand; just hope I never have to find out if I'm right. :shock:
Of course, by the time the throw finished rolling out to arrive at the gun hand you'll have been shot 6 times. :)
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

Myth busters tested all the Raider's whip tricks - with an 8 footer - and it worked quite well against disarming a man with a handgun. It even featured Anthony Delongis who suggested going for the eyes instead of the gun...
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

JohnnyD97 wrote:Myth busters tested all the Raider's whip tricks - with an 8 footer - and it worked quite well against disarming a man with a handgun. It even featured Anthony Delongis who suggested going for the eyes instead of the gun...
I saw that!
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Is there anyone here who hasn't? :CR:
folkprophet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by folkprophet »

To be fair, they didn't test trying to take the gun out of someone's hand while said person tried to shoot them first. ;)
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Anthony De Longis has said it a couple of times, short of a gun he can defend himself against any other weapon with a whip, It's just not sane to try it against a firearm.
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Parttimeteacher »

Late to the game but there are a few things to consider. Like:
What do you plan to do with it?
Complicated, rapid cracks are better done with shorter whips. Wraps and such benefit from extra length.

How big are you? A bigger, taller person would have an easier time with a longer whip than a shorter person.