Indy III jacket, by S&J

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiego Jones
Vendor

Indy III jacket, by S&J

Post by Indiego Jones »

The most difficult replica we've try to do.
Maybe, because we don't have a close enough jacket replica to study and use as starting point. Or perhaps because this is a very different jacket from the previous...I don't know.

Pictures:
Remember, NOT the final prototype or patterns.

We still need to tweak the collar and pockets, for a more screen accurate look.

However, it looks and fits nice.
When I have some time, I'll try to do a couple of pictures in full Indy gear, to show that we nailed the lenght and front/back proportions.

The distressing job (very distinctive on this style) was done BEFORE assembly. So, no thread was compromised.

The leather I used for this jacket was a very thick and heavy (but soft and pliabe), smooth Merino Sheepskin. IMO, the original leather of this jacket.
Unfortunately, this was the last skins we had, and we can't find more for a re-stock (we keep looking).
Our "Chocolate Premium Cowhide" will work great on this style. Perfect thickness, weight and softness for an LC jacket.

Please, tell me what do you think of it.

Cheers.-

ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Indy III jacket, by S&J

Post by ltfoley »

Awesome!
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

It looks to be coming along nicely. I look forward to having my jacket go into production as soon as you have the pattern finalized. I'm hoping the weight of the premium cow isn't as heavy as my TNO LC.
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Wow, I am VERY interested in this. Looks great! :) I really like the distress job too. It will only get more character with age, but is a great starting point. I'll be very excited to see you nail down all the details. I've been itching to buy a LC jacket for a few years now, and was about to order a wested, but I think I'll hang around and see what happens here!

Any idea how long it might be until production?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

1BAT4U wrote: Any idea how long it might be until production?
Pattern details corrected.
Everything is perfect now.
The LC orders were already submitted yesterday to the workshop for assembly.
It takes about a week to finish a jacket, and they do it according the order number we inform.

So, it is in production.

Regards.-
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

They look great! I can't wait to see one in the chocolate cowhide! :clap:
How is the distressing done? By you, or by the factory?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Awesome jacket! Now I know how Mussolini looks dressed as Indiana Jones! :rolling:
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

May I inquire the price? I will need size 38
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Well, gents... I give Diego a big ol Texan thank you. He went over and above to help me get this going, now I just have to wait to receive it.

I'll be posting pics here, but mine won't be distressed.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Nice looking 'LC'! Does this jacket have gussets? Very nice patina! Good stuff! W>
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Nice work. Great pockets and nice leather. Where are you getting your measurements from? I'd love to see a strong thick lambskin for this one.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

whipwarrior wrote:Awesome jacket! Now I know how Mussolini looks dressed as Indiana Jones! :rolling:
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Photoss wrote:They look great! I can't wait to see one in the chocolate cowhide! :clap:
How is the distressing done? By you, or by the factory?
I do the patterns, cut the leather and lining, mark every curve, fold, detail on the leather, and (if ordered) do the distressing BEFORE sewing.
Workshop put everything together.
car96 wrote:Well, gents... I give Diego a big ol Texan thank you. He went over and above to help me get this going, now I just have to wait to receive it.

I'll be posting pics here, but mine won't be distressed.
Thanks to you my friend.
It's because of you that we made this project.
1BAT4U wrote:May I inquire the price? I will need size 38
IIRC, I can't post prices on this section.

For pricing, please contact me to: pedidos@steele-jones.com.ar
WConly wrote:Nice looking 'LC'! Does this jacket have gussets? Very nice patina! Good stuff! W>
No. No gussets on this style.
But you can ask it on your order.
Our jackets are 100% custom. Of course, we must respect certain boundaries, otherwise the jacket may look odd.
CM wrote:Nice work. Great pockets and nice leather. Where are you getting your measurements from? I'd love to see a strong thick lambskin for this one.
The measurements are based mainly on our own studies, and some information kindly provided from different forum members.

It would be great if we can re-stock this leather.
But, I don't see it possible in a near future.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE KIND WORDS!!!!!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

You're doing a good job, Diego! Why don't you take off at noon, as long as you are back by 1 pm. ;)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I'm watching this Thread with GREAT interest...
I think you fellas might have a real WINNER on your hands with this jacket!
WELL DONE! ;) :tup:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

The LC jacket is THE Indy jacket for me. It's the one I have studied myself. I think you definitley should keep on perfecting the pattern. I like it and I love the leather and color.

The LC pattern is a difficult pattern to get right. It's a baggy sleeve, tight torso cut.

Pockets look good! So does backpanel. I like how you did the correct strap boxes.

First things that stand out to me are...The collar needs alitle more work. And there should be no leather strip under collar stand. The sleeves shold have more taper towards the cuff.

I look forward seeing the final product!

Keep it up!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

WConly wrote:

Nice looking 'LC'! Does this jacket have gussets? Very nice patina! Good stuff! W>

Our jackets are 100% custom. Of course, we must respect certain boundaries, otherwise the jacket may look odd.

Thanks for the response to my question re: gussets, however I am a bit confused with your comment about 'respect certain boundaries, otherwise...look odd...'
What are you referring too here. The 'LC' screen jacket certainly had gussets -- how would this be an oddity? I'm confused as to your meaning here, please edify for me. Thanks. W>
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

WConly wrote:...... The 'LC' screen jacket certainly had gussets -- how would this be an oddity? I'm confused as to your meaning here, please edify for me. Thanks. W>

I am by no means an expert on this jacket but I could've sworn that several people told me the actual LC jacket didn't have gussets which is why it traditionally has the "riding up issue". It's also why you have to request gussets on the Wested LC (not that the Wested pattern is that accurate) :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Non of the Last Crusade jackets had gussets :TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Really? I honestly did not know that. I always thought they did. Thanks guys. W>
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

WConly wrote:WConly wrote:

Thanks for the response to my question re: gussets, however I am a bit confused with your comment about 'respect certain boundaries, otherwise...look odd...'
What are you referring too here. The 'LC' screen jacket certainly had gussets -- how would this be an oddity? I'm confused as to your meaning here, please edify for me. Thanks. W>
Like said, no gussets on the LC jacket.

Adding gussets is not an oddity, at all. In fact, this is one of the most common requests we have.
To add gusstes on ToD and LC jackets.

But, sometimes, orderers ask for certain modifications that profoundly affects the pattern style.
For ex.: front lenght 23" / back lenght 27" .... on a Raiders jacket :shock:

We don't do that.-
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

I was one of the people who requested gussets on the LC as I wanted more functionality out of the jacket rather than "screen-accurate".
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Rikimaru wrote:I was one of the people who requested gussets on the LC as I wanted more functionality out of the jacket rather than "screen-accurate".
Is the LC more functional that the others? I would have thought the Nowak one is the most functional - it's the most professionally tailored even if it is not as magical as an accurate LC.
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

Diego,

I just saw this post after my last email to you. It is again great what I see in here and I am really convinced the work you are putting in this jackets are great and I am really happy that my 2nd skin is going to be produced by you.

I am not an expert when it comes to screenaccuracy, but I have worn Indy jackets for half my life now. Having been very dissatisfied with an Italian company most recently and giving up hope on westeds after even going there in person 2 months ago, you really brought back hope to me.
From what I can tell in the pictures I have seen on COW and regarding our emails you're the one who is currently doing the best looking Indy jackets and costumer service!

Please keep up the good work and don't loose the fun of doing it! :TOH:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

eaglecrow wrote:Diego,

I just saw this post after my last email to you. It is again great what I see in here and I am really convinced the work you are putting in this jackets are great and I am really happy that my 2nd skin is going to be produced by you.

I am not an expert when it comes to screenaccuracy, but I have worn Indy jackets for half my life now. Having been very dissatisfied with an Italian company most recently and giving up hope on westeds after even going there in person 2 months ago, you really brought back hope to me.
From what I can tell in the pictures I have seen on COW and regarding our emails you're the one who is currently doing the best looking Indy jackets and costumer service!

Please keep up the good work and don't loose the fun of doing it! :TOH:
Thank you so much for this words.
It means a lot to me.

This is encouraging, specially in this very moment, with many delayed orders waiting to be finished.
We have a very slow workshop for the assembly job. But they do a great work.
So, we choose to prioritize quality against celerity.

It's great to finally have many orders from fans that saw and recognize our efforts.
At the same time, it's frustrating not to be able to deliver sooner.

Again, thank you so much for the understanding.
Kind regards.-
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

Diego,

I really can't wait for your jacket as I am so excited about it. I would love to have it here before my first excavation season this summer in both Austria and south Sibiria. But as a former full time leather worker I know how hard too many orders at once can be. Becouse of that I ask you in solidarity not to hectic on mine - even if that meant a delay with arriving onto my doorstep.

again, take your time and keep the fun of doing your things :H:
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

CM wrote: Is the LC more functional that the others? I would have thought the Nowak one is the most functional - it's the most professionally tailored even if it is not as magical as an accurate LC.
My TN is a great jacket that I worked with Tony to work better for my day to day needs. We slimmed the sleeves down as well as made the jacket longer, but the hide I chose is HEAVY! So it sees limited use.

However, not to derail the thread, I had worked out some minor changes to be made to my LC order and Diego was willing to work with me on these. I wanted gussets as to help prevent the jacket riding so far up when my arms are raised.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Where I am currently living, we are going into Summer and I am in no hurry for the jackets I have on order. ;)

To be honest, I already have enough Indy jackets to last at least a couple lifetimes. :oops:
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Thanks guys for all the support.- :TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Any updates of the new pattern?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Jackets are in the workshop ready for assembly.
We've to wait to see... :TOH:
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

This is most exciting Diego! You guys always hit the mark for accuracy. One day I will get un Explorador 36 y una Cazadora (modificada un poquito).
Maybe it's the angle of the pic, but I thought that the pockets were a little taller on the LC?
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Yeah, DEFINITELY exciting waiting to see how this develops!
It’s definitely ‘stoking the fires’ of my IndyEnthusiasm! ;)
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I agree. Looking forward to seeing what the cowhide looks like compared to the thick lamb skin above. This is looking great!
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

Diego, now that Car96 received his jacket, whose LC jacket is next up for assembly?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Functionality has to do with the diameter of the armholes. Yeah, you get a little bit from the gussets, but not as much as slimmer diameter arm holes, if functionality is your game. Some will prefer the larger arm holes for SA.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

I agree with S&J being the go to right now for an Indy jacket.
I was lucky enough to be the right order at the right time and got the pattern going to Diego with lots of input from this board-everyone here who has love of the LC jacket and posted information on how to construct had a hand on some level on what I sent to Diego to make my jacket. It might not be the most SA (?) but for me it is the best Indy jacket so far-3 Wested's and a U.S. Wings later.
It took about 6 months and I emailed Diego a lot but the professionalism he gave me meant a lot. I can be impatient but S&J delivered big time. The fit is amazing-& amazing because it was done over the Internet and email measurements and photos.
The leather is great. It may not be completely without grain like the movie jacket, but you got to give something up and get what makes you happy and functional-that is what matters to me. I pointed that out to Diego and he hit a home run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Rikimaru wrote:Diego, now that Car96 received his jacket, whose LC jacket is next up for assembly?
Next is order #40 (Glenville86)
Texan Scott wrote:Functionality has to do with the diameter of the armholes. Yeah, you get a little bit from the gussets, but not as much as slimmer diameter arm holes, if functionality is your game. Some will prefer the larger arm holes for SA.
I agree.
car96 wrote:I agree with S&J being the go to right now for an Indy jacket.
I was lucky enough to be the right order at the right time and got the pattern going to Diego with lots of input from this board-everyone here who has love of the LC jacket and posted information on how to construct had a hand on some level on what I sent to Diego to make my jacket. It might not be the most SA (?) but for me it is the best Indy jacket so far-3 Wested's and a U.S. Wings later.
It took about 6 months and I emailed Diego a lot but the professionalism he gave me meant a lot. I can be impatient but S&J delivered big time. The fit is amazing-& amazing because it was done over the Internet and email measurements and photos.
The leather is great. It may not be completely without grain like the movie jacket, but you got to give something up and get what makes you happy and functional-that is what matters to me. I pointed that out to Diego and he hit a home run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I hope you enjoy the jacket for many-many years!

Here are more pictures of car96 jacket:

Bear in mind I'm 2 sizes smaller.

Look that leather!!!! This one will age BEAUTIFULLY!!!!!!! =P~

Direct sunlight, 12 at noon.-

Cheers.-
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

Indiego Jones wrote:Next is order #40 (Glenville86)
Thank you. I'm gauging to see how long before my order is up.
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Rikimaru wrote:
Aren't we all! :TOH:
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Just a quick note.

The distressed jacket at the top of the thread is not the same jacket Diego shows photos in the sun. That jacket in the sun is not distressed.
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

teneas wrote:
Rikimaru wrote:
There were 3 original LC orders. So knowing that Car received his means mine is behind Glenville. If I had placed any other order, I wouldn't be keeping track.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

This S&J is nice. If only there'd been good LC jackets when I started buying 10 years ago.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Rikimaru wrote:
teneas wrote:
Rikimaru wrote:
There were 3 original LC orders. So knowing that Car received his means mine is behind Glenville. If I had placed any other order, I wouldn't be keeping track.
LC first 3 orders:

#39 - car96's jacket
#40 - Glenville
#44 - Rikimaru

Cheers.-
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I'm #53, so I guess it will be a little while. :Dietrich: :D
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Photoss wrote:I'm #53, so I guess it will be a little while. :Dietrich: :D
And i'm 54!
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

ltfoley wrote:
Photoss wrote:I'm #53, so I guess it will be a little while. :Dietrich: :D
And i'm 54!
But not LC... :)
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

52 here! But for Temple.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Amazing how the jacket looks black when Diego is wearing it in the sunlight, but I can assure you it is very much brown.

I have been wearing it just about everyday around the house to break it in.

:D
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

car96 wrote:Amazing how the jacket looks black when Diego is wearing it in the sunlight, but I can assure you it is very much brown.

I have been wearing it just about everyday around the house to break it in.

:D
Wear it outside!
Get a motorcycle w/side car and have some fun! LOL!
That jacket looks great on you.
Enjoy it! :lol:
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Right now at 10:34 am here just 35 miles north of Houston, Tx

90 degrees F (feels like 105 F)

94 / 74 Hi/Lo for today for cast

71% is the Humidity THIS IS WHAT MAKES IT UNBEARABLE. It will increase probably as the days go by; it is usually higher and not uncommon to be in the 85% range and higher.

The forecast over the weekend is to reach high's in the 95 F degree range....the hottest we have had all season....and it will get hotter in the next 2 months.

I do have a motorcycle....battery needs charging.