My love of leather jackets

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Aerojones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Aerojones »

So, I've been skulking around the edges of COW for some time now. :CR: I've made comments here and there, even asked a question or two. I finally worked up the courage to post this diatribe. (Please read all the way to the end, there's a prize.) My love of leather jackets came from watching the Indy movies as a kid, and even now as an older kid. I have a few non-Indy leather jackets, and I've spent a lot of time looking at them, studying them, etc, etc. In all this I've created my own list of rules for leather jackets. Bear in mind that this is a list that I use for myself. Feel free to agree or disagree. #1. No tennis shoes. EVER. Leather shoes or boots only. Tennis shoes don't ever look good with a leather jacket. To me it's like fuzzy dice in an Aston Martin. #2. Less is more. I cite Indy's jacket as a prime example of this. No extraneous nonsense, just what is needed. #3. No shocking colors. A good example of what I mean is football team leather jackets. Personally, I can't stand these things. Brown or black only. If you're a woman, you can get away with other colors, but again, no shocking colors please. #4. The only zippers you need are the ones that close the front of the jacket. I've seen jackets that have so many zippers on them that I honestly believe you could open a hole to another dimension if you unzipped them all. Think Marlon Brando in The Wild One. #5. Fake leather never looks good. Sorry, but it doesn't. #6. Distressing. This one goes back to #2. Personally, I think the best distressing comes from life. That being said, I've seen some very nice distressing jobs posted here. So this one is not black or white, but grey at best. #7. No logo'd shirts or sweaters underneath the jacket please. A nice dress shirt or a solid color shirt is best. This relates back to #1. Think Aston Marton with fuzzy dice. So, that's my list of rules. Again, these are the rules I use for me. Agree or disagree, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. For those who took the time to read all this nonsense, I'd like to thank you. Unfortunately, there's not actually a prize...sorry. I just wanted to see how many people would take the time to read this. Thank you for allowing me to share this diatribe.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Besides Michael Jackson, most jackets with tons of zippers are motorcycle jackets and the zippers are for ventilation. Agreed on no crazy colors too. I dont think Ive ever avoided tennis shoes on purpose, but I cant remember ever wearing them with my jacket. Im usually wearing my work boots which are black hybrid leather tactical boots, or my cowboy boots. I frequently wear tshirts and such under the jacket. I wear it as a tool. I dont own anything that is a fashion accessory. My hats keep the sun off me, my boots keep my feet dry, jacket keeps me sheltered. (I always wear some form of pants or shorts too of course.)

I do want to add, I do my best to avoid wearing the jacket with shorts. I dont like it for some reason.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: My love of leather jackets

Post by CM »

Actually Indy's jacket may seem simple but it is reasonably fussy - the large cargo pockets, the side straps, the strange open vented back and the wind flap all serve to make this a more complicated pattern. You want a lack of extraneous items, get Brooks cafe racer or a Buco j100. Understated and very simple.

Colours - (football team leather?… :Dietrich: ) many great vintage jackets come in red, navy, and grey. Brimacos look cool in those colours and vintage German and French pilots jackets look great in blue and grey.

I don't wear sneakers/tennis shoes as I have no need for them but I don't really care if someone wears leather with a pair of understated Converse or some simple sneakers. They look good with an A2 jacket (which is very close to an Indy) There are of course some sneakers that are more gaudy than my Aunt Mary's shower curtain. :shock:

Brando's Schott bike jacket is a classic of design. Not something I would ever wear but a pattern that goes back to the early days of leather bike jackets. The only extra zips are there to keep the pockets closed for when you ride. Very practical so you don't loose things. Most bike jackets will have zips on all the pockets.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I agree with most of those. Although sneakers can come in leather.;)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I will say that that I don't agree with everything on the list, but I do find the entire thing to be reasonable. Even what I don't agree with, I can see why one would feel that way.

I tend to split hairs more with my rules, but I could probably write a fully annotated and cross-referenced manual on my overall rules of dress.

The biggest amendment I simply have to make are these;

Chris MD's "no shorts" rule is a must to add.
Tennis shoes/sneakers... it's all about color and style. White only works (in my opinion) with a an A2 (specifically), blue jeans, and a shirt that would fit in any time since 1977. Otherwise, apply the no shocking colors rule, and no weird or ultra-high-tech looking styles. Simple styles, in grays, non-bright blues, browns, tans, and black.

I do have to note, I might be more flexible about footwear than most. Firstly, I have foot problems, so I might be more forgiving of low-budget comfort. Second, I was subjected to a high school prom where kids were wearing combat boots with tuxedos and evening gowns! After that, other sins seem far less objectionable.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

CM wrote:I don't wear sneakers/tennis shoes as I have no need for them but I don't really care if someone wears leather with a pair of understated Converse or some simple sneakers.
Now you're speaking my language! The only sneakers I wear are black hi-top Converse All-Stars. And I also have my Aldens. Both look great with a tee shirt, jeans, and my Wested. :TOH:
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

Someone's gotta say it: Don't tell The Ramones about "no sneakers with leather jackets."
Hey Ho, Let's Go!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Aerojones wrote:To me it's like fuzzy dice in an Aston Martin.
Remind me to never pick you up in my Aston Martin.

That said, I'm more liberal with my "jacket rules". Seeing as I've never thought about footwear in relation to jackets, I don't have a preference one way or the other.

I'm not a fan of garish colors (though team jackets have their place - in the stadium). I do have a green Wanted jacket, but that's about as far afield as I'm willing to get. And I have an X3 Wolverine jacket. It's my favorite of the Wolverine options, something about how the blue 'pops'.

Zippers, pockets and seams have their place. I personally can't pull off a Perfecto jacket, but I like the style for what it is. My issue with seams is more being a snob about leather. The more seams, the smaller the pieces of leather used. I think it comes from liking the solid back panel of the Indy jacket, but I find seams running vertically down the back of a jacket distracting. Of course, there are exceptions. I have a Looper jacket from FilmJackets with some 'decorative' seams. The jacket works for me though.

Agreed that the issue of distressing is grey at best. Subtle distressing that truly mirrors what life would dish out can enhance a jacket. Over the top can make a jacket look too much like a costume.

As with shoes, I've never thought about what I'm wearing under a jacket, other than to match the jacket to my overall wardrobe for the day.

Good thread to get some thoughts flowing.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote: My issue with seams is more being a snob about leather. The more seams, the smaller the pieces of leather used.
Regards,

Indiana Jeff
....that and the fact it just gives more places/holes for water/moisture to leak through should you get caught out in the rain.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Excellent point, fewer the seams, less the chances for structural failures.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, your jacket is only as good as the thread holding it together. ;)

Regard! M
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

For me:

Short leather jacket - shirt tucked in.
Longer jacket - as long as it is longer than the shirt, not tucked is fine.
Leather jacket color - should match shoe/boot color.
Sneakers - not with a leather jacket. Canvas is fine.
T-Shirt - not with a leather jacket.
Shirts - any button down but like solids or subdued plaid. Polo shirt tucked - ok.
Shorts of any kind - only at the beach or working around the house - no jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'm at the age I'll wear what ever is clean, whether it matches or not. ;)

The ONLY thing my family won't let me go out the door wearing is sandals with white socks. Otherwise, they've given up. :lol:

Regard! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

So, sandals and black socks are okay? :-k

:rolling:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Depends on the use.

Wear around town jacket? No problem with just the zipper that closes the front. My favorite has open side slash pockets and that's it. Doesn't even have inside pockets.

Motorcycle jacket? Zipped pockets are a must. So are inside pockets. Losing stuff like keys is bad. In hot weather the aforementioned vents are also kinda nice.

Field Jacket? More pockets are better. Carrying stuff is good. So is ready access. The pockets need

As far as colors - I think they have their place. I have a Harley jacket that has hand cut leather lettering and leather patches on it that I wear a few times a year. (There were only 114 of them ever made)

And I sort of wear whatever footwear or shirt is appropriate for what I'm doing. I'm not going to say tennis shoes don't go with a leather jacket because tennis shoes, a white t-shirt and a leather jacket is a timeless look. I even go barefooted sometimes . . .

I generally avoid shorts, but if I'm wearing shorts and I'm cold I'll wear a leather jacket if that's what I have to wear. After all, the jacket's function is to protect me from the elements - if I need protecting I'm going to grab the best thing I have handy. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Tennessee Smith wrote:So, sandals and black socks are okay? :-k

:rolling:
Apparently so. :[