Smith and Wesson D.A. .45 M1917

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Abner
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Abner »

This is my S&W M1917. It's obviously been refinished at some time (has black parkerized type finish, instead of blued), so it's more of a "shooter" than a collectible:

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Re: Smith and Wesson D.A. .45 M1917

Post by ChrisMD »

Very nice. Now....how bout a range report?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Very nice !! Yes, it's been parkerized but not military grade (grey/dark grey) .. looks aftermarket black parkerizing. Looks like a nice piece, congrats !! :TOH:
Abner
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Abner »

ChrisMD wrote:Very nice. Now....how bout a range report?!
I have some half moon clips somewhere around here...I'll see if I can dig them up
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

They have full moon clips now ( it's like a WWI speed loader) and even two shot clips as well, check Gunbroker.com you should be able to pick up a bunch cheap.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Abner wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:Very nice. Now....how bout a range report?!
I have some half moon clips somewhere around here...I'll see if I can dig them up
That's the spirit!!!

Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trebor »

Just FYI, the U.S. military would routinely Parkerize blued guns when they went in for inspection/rebuild between WWI and WWII. This was done to a lot of Model 1917's.

Just letting you know that while this might not be an original finish, it likely is still this guns military finish, and it doesn't lesson the value as much as you would think.
Abner
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Abner »

Trebor wrote:Just FYI, the U.S. military would routinely Parkerize blued guns when they went in for inspection/rebuild between WWI and WWII. This was done to a lot of Model 1917's.

Just letting you know that while this might not be an original finish, it likely is still this guns military finish, and it doesn't lesson the value as much as you would think.
It seems that the arsenal-refinished guns have more of a grey/green parkerization or am I wrong about that? This one has a black parkerized finish.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Abner wrote:
Trebor wrote:Just FYI, the U.S. military would routinely Parkerize blued guns when they went in for inspection/rebuild between WWI and WWII. This was done to a lot of Model 1917's.

It seems that the arsenal-refinished guns have more of a grey/green parkerization or am I wrong about that? This one has a black parkerized finish.
It depends on what was available at the time. Sometimes they used zinc phosphate parkerizing which has a grayish green tinge to it. Also common was manganese phosphate parkerizing which is darker and almost black when it's first done. Alot of 1911A1s were done this way. I had my commercial 1911 done in MP parkerizing.

After looking at yours I believe it is manganese phosphate but pics can be deceiving.

Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trebor »

I'll second the idea that original and rearsenal U.S. military Parkerizing is all over the place in regards to color.

I've seen numerous color variations on what I assume is original factory Park on U.S. contract weapons and more variations on arsenal repark.