how do I distress my Fedora?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

universal exports
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

how do I distress my Fedora?

Post by universal exports »

hay all, new here, I done a lot research here and settled on a Federation IV deluxe fedora.
it arrived in 12 days, faster than I though. it fits perfect, so I got that right, so my question is how do I distress it, this is going to be my fishing and vacation hat. I did a search but didnt really come up with much on Hats, thanks in advance.

Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Re: how do I distress my Fedora?

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Depends on what you mean by distress.

If you want dusty either wear it where it's dusty or dust it with Fullers Earth.

If you just want to break down the stiffeners you can "work" the felt by rolling and unrolling around the brim to soften it. You can't really crush an Akubra because of the wire in the sweatband.

The best way of all is just wear it. :D
universal exports
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Thanks, I just want it to look old and broke in, well used, ect. not new and shiny.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Probably not the answer you are looking for but I will say just wear it. I wear mine fishing alot and out here the dust and wind is pretty intense. It has aged nicely. It'll shape and distress to YOUR habits like a jacket. It will look FAR better than any pretend distressing. After some real wear it will look great. I would say just wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
universal exports
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

I really wish I hadn't like this hat so much, only had it a couple days and am wanting a grey one now,,, Time to go to hats direct and check out a moonstone grey one.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

universal exports wrote:I really wish I hadn't like this hat so much, only had it a couple days and am wanting a grey one now,,, Time to go to hats direct and check out a moonstone grey one.
Just wait, the bug will bite harder. I had a Fed IV but upgraded to an AB Henry... a number of years later, a Penman LC and AB Legacy, and I also have a Steele and Jones Explorador on the way just to see how they look in person. That's in addition to my 2 vintage and 2 custom beaver dress fedoras. Oh, and yeah, I have the moonstone Fed IV in there somewhere but haven't worn it in a while...

Honestly, the brown Fed IV was my first real fedora (had an Akubra Bushman before that, but it's more of a western style), and it's the only one that I sold to make room for others.

And btw, I totally agree with everyone else; wear your hat... a lot. It will take on character simply by doing that. I wear my hats every day, on every adventure, and they certainly look great for it.
universal exports
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

I got the moonstone Fed IV deluxe on Order, even more excited about this one since I know the size will be perfect, and the hat will look OK on me, not everyone wears this hat well, but I pull it off nicely, LOL
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

universal exports wrote:Thanks, I just want it to look old and broke in, well used, ect. not new and shiny.
I've simply "distressed" my Fed IV regular with fullers earth to look it older, very effective...
Pics

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I highly suggest that you wear it in the rain. A real soaker is best. Just don't forget to put in a hat-jack while it dries to prevent shrinking (or keep it on your head). In any event, a few good rains will make it look more lived in. While the hat is wet, tweaking the shape and playing with the hat a bit will help loosen it up. Just DON'T squeeeze the pinch hard when it's really wet and still new. The dye will leech out just enough to be forever off-color in that one spot!

Otherwise, having owned a few Federations, I find that they age well naturally. Especially if you are going to use it for lot of outdoor activities. The sun will alter the color gradually, the felt will soften with normal handling, and there's nothing like a bit of sweat to move things along. If you're in a rush for a "used" look, dust it with some dry dirt from the yard, particularly around the ribbon.
dkjamerson
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by dkjamerson »

If worn after getting up a good sweat drop it in the dirt, hit it a couple times and repeat. The dirt gets into the grains and won't come out until brushed. Wearing everyday in all weather works best.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

didier wrote:
universal exports wrote:Thanks, I just want it to look old and broke in, well used, ect. not new and shiny.
I've simply "distressed" my Fed IV regular with fullers earth to look it older, very effective...
Pics

Dang that looks gorgeous! Any tips or suggestions on the best way to recreate what you did? Anything you would do different if you could?