What is the most SA Wested Raiders Jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What is the most SA Wested Raiders Jacket?

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

I recently purchased a shrunken Lamb Raiders hero and I was told by Wested that this is the most SA. In person it looks to light brown. I know they offer several skins for the jackets is the shrunken the most SA or is another choice better? Thanks
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: What is the most SA Wested Raiders Jacket?

Post by Glenville86 »

I have a few Wested Raiders jackets.

This appears to be a good question. From what I have read, there were a few jackets used in the film. Some screen shots from the set show the jacket being not a dark brown. On film, it appears darker.

My seal brown lambskin looks more SA to me from what you see in the film color wise. The shrunken lambskin material, fit and drape feels more SA.

Wested does not offer a Striated Lambskin but I think that leather looks most SA for a Raiders jacket.

More experienced folks will chime in soon.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

skins....authentic brown lamb would be the choice of color, but concerning the type of skin it was, veg tanned in the rough, etc., SL would be as close to the movie jacket as wested offers. It could be leather dyed, if you had considered that?

If you are looking for SA all the way, try the striated lamb as made by BK or S&J. Diego has a new batch of skins over there.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Well, since you ask advice on the most SA WESTED jacket. I can offer my opinion of the most SA skin for wested. I have kinda been in the jacket section once or twice. ;)

Seal brown lambskin with stretch marks.

Ask for a skin with flaws, grainy spots and stretch marks. Kinda thinnish. I did this with mine and it looks great. It has the color to a T, the drape is awesome and when it breaks in it becomes ''limp'' and that is exactly what the Raiders jacket was. Worn in and limp.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Authentic, seal brown, although in person, I'm not crazy about it. Really depends on the batch. Best representation of the color on film is the scene where Indy and Satipo are about to enter the temple, where Indy reaches down to fill his sand bag. Also, the behind the scenes footage from the BluRay set.
LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

Thanks for the info!

Another question I had and sorry I think this was discussed on another post. I ordered the jacket short, 24 inches and Im 511. I thought I read somewhere Fords Raiders jacket was 21 inches and he's 601. Does anyone know for sure if the Raiders jacket was really this short? Thanks
Leigh
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Leigh »

The back of Ford's jacket was 23" by all the accounts I've read.

His height though seems to be debated. I've seen people claim he's anything from 5"10 to 6"1. I have to admit, I'm sceptical he's 6"1 with a 23 inch jacket, as I'm 5"10.5 and have a 23 inch jacket and it's pretty short on me.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Much more important that you order a jacket made to fit you. HF needed a short jacket so his rig would not get tangled.

When you begin to research it, the facts begin to immerge:

http://www.justjared.com/photo-gallery/ ... emiere-10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/WiNyKFsE ... rison+Ford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... asurements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DC is listed as 5'10" and Shia 5' 9". Go figure.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

It's not all about the height. It's also about the length of torso. Some folks have long torso, short legs and visa versa.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

The OP has a shrunken lamb as I do. I did treat mine with pecards conditioner which darkened it a little. It did make some darker places on the jacket that is not uniform but not very noticeable.
LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

Thank you for all the advice. I talked to Wested and they said I could exchange my jacket for a jacket on clearance. I looked and there are two jackets that fit both heroes, one in goat and one in Novapelle Dark. Any thoughts on those skins? I'm a sticker for accuracy. Thanks
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

They both can be really nice leathers. Someone on the board just mentioned that Wested's latest batch of goatskin is excellent. I would think the goatskin will be a better match for what you see on screen. Novapelle is great, but a bit heavy, and predistressed.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I have a Hero in Novapelle - it's great leather, but it's fairly heavy and it doesn't drape like the movie jackets, if that'S what you're after. Personally, I'm no longer interested in being quite so SA - in fact I'm considering going back to the less SA Raiders jacket that Wested offer. Maybe it's age..but I kind of miss having a jacket that sits on the shoulders properly ;-)
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

whiskyman wrote:I have a Hero in Novapelle - it's great leather, but it's fairly heavy and it doesn't drape like the movie jackets, if that'S what you're after. Personally, I'm no longer interested in being quite so SA - in fact I'm considering going back to the less SA Raiders jacket that Wested offer. Maybe it's age..but I kind of miss having a jacket that sits on the shoulders properly ;-)
Whiskeyman I've got your jacket then.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I'm with you, whiskers!
LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

Thinking about getting a Wested brown lambtouch Raiders. Does anyone know on how SA it is or have input on this skin. I'm a fan of the seal brown so I'm wondering if ill like lambtouch? Thanks
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Looks like lamb strength of cowhide.

It should break in nicely and get a rich grain. However, it may be alittle too dark, like blackish...
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Last I checked, Wested's lambtouch was of the pre-distressed variety. Not such a fan myself. Maybe ask for a sample.
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

LANDINGPARTY wrote:Thinking about getting a Wested brown lambtouch Raiders. Does anyone know on how SA it is or have input on this skin. I'm a fan of the seal brown so I'm wondering if ill like lambtouch? Thanks
I owned a Wested lambtouch jacket a few years ago, LC version, sold on e-bay since...
Although the leather is cow, this last is more thin and lightweight than the predistressed cow. The color is darker than the predistressed, and the grain close enough from authentic lambskin...
I think this type of skin take a very good patina with time, with caramel color...
Some pics

LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

Good info. Thanks for the pics!