What makes my Adventurebilt an Adventurebilt?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

afterthedog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

What makes my Adventurebilt an Adventurebilt?

Post by afterthedog »

I'm trying to decide if I've made a mistake.

I bought a Crystal Skull AB back in 2010 from Steve. I absolutely love my hat (you can see it over there<==== in my profile pic). Lately, it's been looking a bit scruffy. At first, I was happy to let it get that personal character from whatever adventures I put it through, but I was finding some of the spots on it to be more distracting than distinguishing, and I noticed that it's shape just wasn't quite what it used to be. That, and the fact that it's always fit me a bit snug led me to the decision to get it cleaned and re-blocked. My city is home to Greeley Hat Works, a fairly reputable hatter that specializes primarily in Western hats, but also builds custom fedoras and has been mentioned favorably on Fedora Lounge. He was recommended to me by a friend of my wife who had a Civil War hat cleaned by him and was very happy.

After a bit of discussion that included a trip into his work room to see some other hats that he was restoring, a nice sit down in his chair to get a head measurement (he had a pretty cool device that fit on my head like a crown and took a size and shape measurement of my melon), we decided to clean and re-block, and replace the sweatband. According to him, with a new sweatband he could increase the size just slightly to get it to fit me a little better. The ribbon and liner will remain intact, but the hat will need to be re-bashed.

So, here's my worry: Is this thing still going to be "Adventurebilt"? The body, ribbon, and liner will all be what Steve put together for me, but now it won't have that "official" Crystal Skull blocking, and I don't know how the bash will turn out. I'm not concerned with the quality of work that's going to be done, but I've had a lot of pride being able to tell people that "this hat was made by the guy who made the hats for the last Indiana Jones movie".

I welcome any and all input here. I'm already thinking I may wear it for a few years and send it back to Steve to have him re-block it (if his health holds), or to John Penman, since he has some of Steve's blocks.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: What makes my Adventurebilt an Adventurebilt?

Post by WConly »

afterthedog wrote:I'm trying to decide if I've made a mistake.

I bought a Crystal Skull AB back in 2010 from Steve. I absolutely love my hat (you can see it over there<==== in my profile pic). Lately, it's been looking a bit scruffy. At first, I was happy to let it get that personal character from whatever adventures I put it through, but I was finding some of the spots on it to be more distracting than distinguishing, and I noticed that it's shape just wasn't quite what it used to be. That, and the fact that it's always fit me a bit snug led me to the decision to get it cleaned and re-blocked. My city is home to Greeley Hat Works, a fairly reputable hatter that specializes primarily in Western hats, but also builds custom fedoras and has been mentioned favorably on Fedora Lounge. He was recommended to me by a friend of my wife who had a Civil War hat cleaned by him and was very happy.

After a bit of discussion that included a trip into his work room to see some other hats that he was restoring, a nice sit down in his chair to get a head measurement (he had a pretty cool device that fit on my head like a crown and took a size and shape measurement of my melon), we decided to clean and re-block, and replace the sweatband. According to him, with a new sweatband he could increase the size just slightly to get it to fit me a little better. The ribbon and liner will remain intact, but the hat will need to be re-bashed.

So, here's my worry: Is this thing still going to be "Adventurebilt"? The body, ribbon, and liner will all be what Steve put together for me, but now it won't have that "official" Crystal Skull blocking, and I don't know how the bash will turn out. I'm not concerned with the quality of work that's going to be done, but I've had a lot of pride being able to tell people that "this hat was made by the guy who made the hats for the last Indiana Jones movie".

I welcome any and all input here. I'm already thinking I may wear it for a few years and send it back to Steve to have him re-block it (if his health holds), or to John Penman, since he has some of Steve's blocks.
Well, I have heard good things about this shop, however no experience with them. My suggestion, since you have gone this route -- trust. Trust that they will do what you have asked of them and let it be. Sometimes, 'trust' is one of the hardest of issues for anyone to take on, however one never knows until he/she attempts the effort to -- simply, trust.

Example: I have been most fortunate to have found a 'leather guy,' who does repairs, designs and makes many different items. He has always done great work for me -- except for one time when he totally screwed up and what I received was not what I had wanted. He knew I was upset and offered not to charge me. However, I realized that it was my fault, because I had not explained, completely, what it was I wanted done. Thus, I paid him and yes, I have given him more work since, and all has turned out as I requested and often times, even better -- because I explained exactly what I wished for the project to be in the end.

So, if these folks truly understood (and you have provided completely to them) what it is that you want to receive, then let it be -- it will probably be OK!

If not. Call John Penman, or get ahold of Steve/Mark, etc. and try again.

Wish I could offer more here, but the best I can do is suggest hope and trust and if you truly hold on to this, things will more then likely turn out in your favor. Let us know how everything works out. This could be very positive for others, if it is a good return for you ;) . W>
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I would say you still have a great hat. It's isn't a 100% by Steve's hand and doesn't have the block, liner and won't yield the exact shape but it will still be a good hat. I have all of Steve's blocks and parts. I can always bring it back to its 100% glory when you are ready but try and enjoy the hat.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

GREELEY Hat Works? Howdy neighbor! Im just up the road a piece in Ft Collins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well that's an interesting philosophical question.

What makes a brand hat that brand? For larger operations like Peters Bros., one can assume different craftsmen work on hats so even two of the 'same' hats aren't necessarily made by the same hands, but they are both Peters Bros. hats.

For a one-man operation like Steve's; much of the appeal is knowing the same hands, using the same materials, created both the movie hats and your hat. In my opinion, it's the closest thing you can get to a film used hat.

Is it no longer an AB if someone else reblocks it?

Tricky question. Certainly without the CS block to use, I wouldn't call it a CS hat anymore. I mean, the difference between an AB ROLA and an AB CS is the block used. Even if everything all else (Steve and materials) is the same.

The hat will retain some features only available through AB (the liner and ribbon). Is a Ferrari still a Ferrari if the engine has been replaced with a Porsche engine? (Car buffs forgive me, I'm not a car guy.) My point is both cars are high end. Same as an AB is high end and by all accounts you are getting high end servicing and replacement through Greeley.

Ultimately it's up to you whether the hat is still an AB or not. You can still say with confidence that the hat was made by Steve, who made the movie hats.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

My opinion. I wear the heck out of my hat. I bought for that very reason. The fact that I have an AB made by the same guy who made the screen used hats on one of the films is icing on the cake but far from the reason I got one from Steve.
Now I know some have different reasons. One day this hat will get a reblock by John. All I want to remain the same is the look. If it had new ribbon, liner and sweatband all with the Penman logo I care not.
Block shape is important though as I feel Steve nailed the block. Figuratively that is.
Look forward to seeing result pics.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

The car analogy is probably apt, but closer to asking what happens when you take a vintage big block Corvette and re-engine it with a 327. (Easier swap and less likely to cause an international incident ;) ) It's still a Corvette - it's just not going to win a concours. Since John has the original CS blocks, sending it to him is like having the original 427 engine professionally rebuilt.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ridgerunner58 wrote: Since John has the original CS blocks, sending it to him is like having the original 427 engine professionally rebuilt.
Well, yes, and no. :-k It will still be made using the same components and specs as the original, but with not be done by the original maker, so there are a few points that will have to be 'winked' at in that regard.....but that said, it's as close as you'll probably ever get short to Steve agreeing to personally doing the re-work. :M: :tup:

Regards! M
afterthedog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afterthedog »

BendingOak wrote:I would say you still have a great hat. It's isn't a 100% by Steve's hand and doesn't have the block, liner and won't yield the exact shape but it will still be a good hat. I have all of Steve's blocks and parts. I can always bring it back to its 100% glory when you are ready but try and enjoy the hat.
Thanks for your input John. I was originally going to send it to you, but I thought I'd give the local guy a shot. It just seemed like the best way to get some direct, one on one feedback on what I could do with it. Like I said, I'll probably wear it for a while and then have you work on it.
ChrisMD wrote:GREELEY Hat Works? Howdy neighbor! Im just up the road a piece in Ft Collins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed! The mighty metropolis of Greeley. Good to know there are other fans in the area. I've also had some contact with COW member Marshallbennett -otherwise known to me as Lance- from the Denver area. We usually meet up at Starfest, and even geared up for the AMC Indy marathon that happened a couple years ago. We were going to meet up for the Aztec exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, but schedules got in the way and that one fell through. Might be fun to have a meet-up with the three of us sometime. Maybe our own little Colorado Summit.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks for the help with the car analogy. :TOH:

Here's one that occurred to me that much closer to home. The HJs that Magnoli used to sell. They were sold as HJs, but reworked/improved by Steve before being shipped to the customer. Mags was always upfront that the hats were completely stripped down and rebuilt, but I don't think any of his customers would say they didn't have an HJ hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Thanks for the help with the car analogy. :TOH:

Here's one that occurred to me that much closer to home. The HJs that Magnoli used to sell. They were sold as HJs, but reworked/improved by Steve before being shipped to the customer. Mags was always upfront that the hats were completely stripped down and rebuilt, but I don't think any of his customers would say they didn't have an HJ hat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I have one of those and you're correct. I consider the hat to be what it is. An HJ with the flaws of modern manufacture corrected by hand, ie an improvement on the original.

Or returning to the car analogy, kinda like what happened when a crazy Texan got the idea to put a Ford 289 in an AC Ace. Not an AC - not a Ford - better! 8)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

To my mind, Jeff and John bring up the points that would really count for me. Are we talking an "Adventurebilt" or a "Crustal Skull Indy hat"?

Is it still an true "AB Indy" hat? Well, no. Not after Greeley is done. But it will always be an AB, even if you stick a rock in it, soak it, and dry it in the sun and call it a Caveman Reblock.
An AB is about the hat itself. I mean, even Steve used to make Adventurebilts that were not in any way Indy hats. So, it's not the block or the bash that make it an AB. It's about how it came into being which will define what it is in the most root way. You, for example, were born a human being. You can dress up as cow and chew grass all day, but you'll be a human being 'til the day you die.