Mutt's jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Mutt's jacket

Post by Carolina Tom »

I've been struggling with this question a while and wanted to get some feedback from you guys. All my leather jackets are brown, but lately I've been toying with the idea of getting a black leather jacket, not necessarily like Mutt's, but black nonetheless. This brings up a question. How old is too old to wear a black leather jacket? :-k I am 56 and I know, wear what you want, right? But I just don't want to send the wrong message, I have read on some forums that women think older men in black leather jackets are creepy or that they are trying too hard, especially when they wear them to a bar or out at night. I have also read that some people think brown leather screams "old man". So if I AM an old man what do I do? To add to the confusion, my daughter says get black, while one of the ladies at work says brown. I have clothes to go with both colors. My question is in reference to full quarter horsehide jackets and am thinking of going with a Lost Worlds Ryder in dark brown russet as a compromise, but they are too expensive to buy one of each. Don't say ask you wife; she would kill me if she knew I was even thinking about another leather jacket! Your thoughts? :TOH:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Mutt's jacket

Post by Tibor »

I think dark brown like a raiders jacket is always good. Either black or brown is ok, but I think it needs to show some wear like its owner. A glossy new black leather jacket never suits my tastes. There are some nicely aged black hides that are pretty excellent though.

Honestly, Magnoli's new grainy cowhide looks fantastic - I think that would fit what you're looking for.
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

Thanks Tibor! I'll take a look. :D
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Looky here...

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=62644" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

Nice! Thanks! :D
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

I have some of both. If the jackets are cut the same, a brown jacket looks more casual to me. A classic black leather jacket looks surprisingly good with slacks, especially light colored slacks. Mutt's jacket in the movie was modeled after a Schott Perfecto, the classic motorcycle jacket introduced in 1928. The Perfectos were/are a practical style for the sport, and were widely worn by police as well. The Perfecto was widely copied by other companies, and attained a bad reputation as a result of the Marlon Brando film "The Wild One", a highly sensationalized retelling of an incident which took place in the late 40's.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

For me, unless you are riding a motorcycle, a Perfecto style jacket skews to younger audiences (this from a 44 year old).

However, I don't think there's any age limit to wearing a black jacket in general. Personally I'm not a fan of cafe style jackets, but a half-belt is classic and completely age appropriate so the Ryder would be a perfect choice.

Creepy older guys are not creepy because of what they are wearing. They are creepy because they are creepy.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

Thanks Ron 521 and Indiana Jeff! I.J., I love your creepiness quote-classic! Thanks guys! You've confirmed that black is indeed an option to consider. :)
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

This is only my impression,but dark brown or brown color for a jacket add a more "friendly" or "good-natured" personnality,rather than a black leather jacket usually looks more serious and trict,some of my friends who are cops,bikers,business manager or hooligan usually wore blacks leather jackets...
But all of these impressions are really suggestive...because we live in a world of preconceived idea ;) ..
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

Most definately!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Carolina Tom wrote:I've been struggling with this question a while and wanted to get some feedback from you guys. All my leather jackets are brown, but lately I've been toying with the idea of getting a black leather jacket, not necessarily like Mutt's, but black nonetheless. This brings up a question. How old is too old to wear a black leather jacket? :-k I am 56 and I know, wear what you want, right? But I just don't want to send the wrong message, I have read on some forums that women think older men in black leather jackets are creepy or that they are trying too hard, especially when they wear them to a bar or out at night. I have also read that some people think brown leather screams "old man". So if I AM an old man what do I do? To add to the confusion, my daughter says get black, while one of the ladies at work says brown. I have clothes to go with both colors. My question is in reference to full quarter horsehide jackets and am thinking of going with a Lost Worlds Ryder in dark brown russet as a compromise, but they are too expensive to buy one of each. Don't say ask you wife; she would kill me if she knew I was even thinking about another leather jacket! Your thoughts? :TOH:
Tom I'm almost your age. I own 10 leather jackets, 4 are black. Only one Indy. There's no age limit to clothes, it's a question of if you can get away with it. Some people at 30 will look silly in a bike jacket. However, a lot depends on your overall look. A guy who is a tubby middle aged, middle management type, may well look silly in a shiny brand new bike jacket. Black leather isn't the issue. The pattern and look of the jacket is the issue. If you think you look okay in it go for it.

A jacket like that needs to be worn with faded jeans and a t-shirt. You may even be able to get away with some neater casual clothes combinations too but the look is difficult.
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

Well, I'm not tubby, but I am middle aged and middle management, so thanks for confirming I need to go with brown! \:D/ Seriously, After bagging the brown Ryder, I may pick up a dressier, lighter weight black jacket. I would feel like a poser in a bike jacket, as I don't ride, so I doubt I could pull that off. Very sound advice CM :D
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I have 4 black Indy jackets of various hides and manufacturers, and wear them just like the brown ones while trying to stick with a black belt and shoes, and sometimes black jeans, too.

Other than a little coordination with belt/boots, I see no distinction. And, some say that strict coordination with your other leather accessories isn't even really necessary. I believe the military mixes brown and black leather gear with no regard to color.

In fact, as a motorcyclist, I grew tired of wearing the black 'uniform' so much, I seek out brown riding gear! Just got a Vanson Cap for that very reason.

I don't like longer leather jackets in general however. The length is where I get hung up. Leather isn't generally all that warm anyway, and doesn't make very good rain gear. Not a fan of car coats either, jmo. But I do like the Belstaff Panther, though.

A long, lamb skin coat can make a guy of any age seem like he's 'trying too hard', if I understand the general implication of seeming to need some attention or maybe appear a little pretentious. I'm not saying the long leather coats and overcoats aren't useful, just that I don't see them being very useful or practical to most guys today. The old German military long coats and u-boat commander coats are cool, though. JMO, YMMV, etc., etc. :D
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

This one is easy, get one of each color!
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

Carolina Tom wrote:Well, I'm not tubby, but I am middle aged and middle management, so thanks for confirming I need to go with brown! \:D/ Seriously, After bagging the brown Ryder, I may pick up a dressier, lighter weight black jacket. I would feel like a poser in a bike jacket, as I don't ride, so I doubt I could pull that off. Very sound advice CM :D
Exactly! Great minds think alike! :TOH: