Cleaning up Gas Mask Bag?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Scramber_CJ8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Cleaning up Gas Mask Bag?

Post by Scramber_CJ8 »

Hey guys, any suggestions for cleaning up the gas mask bag?

- Mildew smell
- corroded buttons, metal disc on the side

Thanks!

Patrick
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning up Gas Mask Bag?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

For the mildew smell, first try leaving it outside in direct sunlight for a while. Turn the bag inside out as well for some of the time. Fresh air and UV will help eliminate any active mildew.

Other suggestions that have been posted here in the past have been using a white vinegar solution, sprinkling liberally with baking soda (not at the same time or you'll have a grade school science experiment on your hands! :lol: )

When I got my MKVII is had 40-ish years of storage smell in it and I threw it in the washing machine without a second thought. It came out intact, smelling fine, and with no loss of color. Your mileage may vary. I've read stories here of bags that have disintegrated going through a wash cycle. :Dietrich: Check your bag thoroughly and if the material seems strong and the stitching is secure you can try simply washing it. Using the gentle cycle and putting the MKVII inside a 'lingerie bag' to reduce direct friction can help too.

Not sure about the corroded metal. May want to just chalk that up to patina.

Here's an older thread discussing washing MKVIIs with links to a couple more even older threads. viewtopic.php?t=21661&highlight=safe+wash+mkvii+bag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Scramber_CJ8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Scramber_CJ8 »

Thanks, I'll give that a shot! I might take some very fine steel wool to the metal parts since the corrosion is so built up…

Patrick
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Personally I'd leave the coloring on the metal parts on, chalk that up to mileage.

The bag itself, I have one that was pretty dirty when I got it. Washed it on a cool/gentle wash with normal laundry detergent, came out nice and clean and is still going strong nearly 10 years later. If it is not going to survive the wash, it's not going to survive being used.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Good point, if the bag doesn't make it out of the washer, it won't make it at all.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Scramber_CJ8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Scramber_CJ8 »

Hey guys,

Wanted to let you know that I used a brass wire brush on the metal disc on the side of the bag, and fine steel wool on the metal rings, buttons and brass drains on the bottom and it cleaned up great! I gave it a good 80% cleaning, but left enough patina to keep the authentic look. I should have taken a before photo…it was very crusty with white and blue corrosion and buildup. It's ready now for a cold wash with some woolite and air drying…

Any tips for breaking in the leather strap?

Patrick