Epic Stunt Spectacular Bullwhip mystery

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Mola Ram
Vendor

Epic Stunt Spectacular Bullwhip mystery

Post by Mola Ram »

I had a wonderful Christmas vacation in Walt Disney
world, and had a wonderful time with the stunt show.
The first time i went to the show i got 4th row center seats
and then waited 5 minutes after the show was over to meet
Jim, the guy who plays Indy. I got a nice picture with him but
I forgot to ask to see the whip. I went to mgm on the 28 to see the
show again, but at night. The park was almost filled to capacity,
and the line for the 7:30 show had just gone in and the theatre was full.
I then started to wait for the 8:45 show as soon as the 7:30 line had gone
in. I was first in line when a cast-member came over and asked me what i was doing. I said I was waiting for the next show, told her i was a big Indy fan and would wait at least 3 hours if i had to, to get a good seat. She Asked me what my name was and then left. She came back 10 minutes later and handed me a large certificate. She said, show this to the person at the fastpass line and they will seat you in the vip section. :notworthy:
I thanked her over and over. I then left for a while and came back 10 minutes before the show, and got seated in VIP in the 2row center. It was a great show but it was the B Indy actor Mike Not the A actor Jim who I had met before. The show ended and I waited to try and meet the stunt actor mike. He must have been tired because it was his last show of the night, he slowly walked backstage out of sight. I walked down to the end of the front row hoping that just maybe the whip was placed on top of the pile of rugs they use during the show. And how lucky was I to see the whip nicely coiled perched on top of the rug thing. And then I look up to see the prop guy approaching me. I asked him if i could look at the whip and he said sure. It looked at first glance to be a Morgan but its so old it was hard to tell. I took a few pictures and told him thanks. The tip of the whip was completely destroyed and the fall was held on by coils, and the prop guy commented that they needed to have it sent back to the maker and repaired because of the current fall attachment it would not crack. Stupid me I forgot to ask who the maker was :? As he placed the whip on his cart and walked away I saw at least 10 other whips of the same condition piled on the cart. My conclusion is that it is a Morgan, as soon as the pictures get developed I will post them.
That is my tale. :D
Kindest Regards Mola :D
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

cool. Do they have a Indy gift shop there? Sounds neato. Can't wait to see the pics. I plan to buy a whip as soon as i get enough money. It will be a 8 ft. budget indy.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: .........

Post by Mike »

WhipDude wrote:Do they have a Indy gift shop there?
Yep. I think it's called Adventuer Outpost, or something like that. They also had some carts set up between the stunt show and the Star Tours ride when I was there.

Mike
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

I'm leavin'...on a jet plane...I don't know when I'll be back again (sorry I couldn't help myself :shock: ) Anyways, I'm leavin the 5th to the 11th of Jan. to Orlando. My goal is to see THE stunt show as many times as possible in a day, lol. I've been there so many times that I could actually reinact the show blind-folded and backwards. Molorom...I'll see if I can pick up where you left off and find out who made the whips. If anyone else has any ideas on what to ask, I'll do my best to get your questions answered. To be honest, I thought they used some sort of "saftey whip" (or something like that) and just added the sound FX during the show. Afterall, there is that technical booth in the middle of the ''theater''. I'll be sure to be in full gear when I go to MGM....maybe I can get VIP seats too :D .

Indy N. :wink:

Molorom: were the VIP seats anything special? The last time I went, I sat in 2nd or 3rd row anyway and no one gave me a problem. Do you get any free food or beverages??? :wink: :lol:
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

vip is just 2ond row seats. Keep in mind the days I went to mgm
the park was really full. Just Be Prepared to wait a long time to get a good seat for the show.
Kindest Regards :D
Molorom
Last edited by Mola Ram on Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

I've got my ways.....trust me :wink: (says with that famous Indy smirk)

Indy N. :wink:
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

hmm

Post by WhipDude »

Neri could you get some pics of the show too? That would be neat. I havent seen the show before and it would be neat to at least be able to see some pics of the show , or if soembody here already has some. So this is at Disney land. Do you have to enter disney land then get in or is it located outside of disney land but disney land created it?
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

It's disney world, in Florida, not Disneyland. I think it's inside the park.

Regards, Daryl.
benny_huddy
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by benny_huddy »

im pretty sure its not a stunt whip because when i was there over the summer the stunt guy played around with the whip some when they were disasembling the opening scene.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

he always does!
i was holding the whip, i looked at it and
looked like it was a morgan. And i have pictures alredy and they should
be developed in the next 2 days. We took 5 rolls worth of film.
mola
Last edited by Mola Ram on Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

For what it's worth, the whips supplied for the stunt show are from Kennedy Saddle Shop of Kissimmee. The whip is made by Krist King (if memory serves me correct). Just though I'd toss that in....It's interesting thta you say the whip you picked up was a Morgan. I guess we can all tell once the pics are up.

High Regards, Indiana_Hall
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

i tell you with my own personal experience it looked like a morgan.
The only thing that clouded that thought was the size of the handle pattern,
which looked a little big for a morgan. So there is a possiblity that i am wrong, when i get the pictures back ill look over them more.
Mola :D
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I'm glad I found this thread. I too was at WDW last week and saw the stunt show twice. The first viewing I believe was 12/27 or 12/28 in the morning. AFter the show I spoke with Jim and asked about the whips. I inquired if they use Morgan's whips and he said "No" and that they get their kangaroo whips from someone in Australia. Not sure if this helps but I got this info from the guy that plays Indy. I went back on 12/30...the last show of the day (8:30) and they had a different Indy actor. However Jim (the first Indy I spoke with) was the "Director of Photography" this time around. I'll see if I get get a pic posted in the next few days of me with Indy (Jim).
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

so.......ever get those pics developed
mola? I'd kinda like to see them.
-scott
mechinyun
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by mechinyun »

Hey im intrested in an update as well!! :)

Lets see some pics or some info!!
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

i just sent them to the store the other day.
pics should be up by tomorrow. Sorry for the
delay.
mola
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Mola, are you going to post them on this thread or did you place them in another thread? I've been gone for few weeks and was looking forward to seeing them. Thanks,

I.J.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

im going to post them right away!
right now in a new post!
molorom(who is EXTREMLEY happy at his wested jacket arrival!)
Jonesy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jonesy »

Okay, I have a funny Stunt Spectacular story regarding the whips...

First off, this story begins back in the early 90's. I was about 9, lived in Florida, and I used to see that show 5 or 6 times a day when I'd go to the park. So I got to know all of the cast and crew really well!! So one day, one of the Indy actors gave me a tour of the set in between shows and let me play around on the Temple set. I got to set off the spears, run up by the large statues with the axes, and yes, even go grab the idol. No boulder though! Well the show manager at the time always used to tell me, "when you get old enough, you'll have a great job here." It gives me something to live for. :lol:

So now Present Day. Having moved to California, it's tough to see the show that often anymore as one would expect. But I did go back last year and of course, watched the show over and over. Getting my fix. So at the end of the show, I went down to talk to the actors to see if anyone that I had known from way back when was still working there. So it turned out that one of the guys I knew when I was little still worked there. So I asked if I could see him. I told them "tell him that the little kid with the red hair that used to drive him crazy about 10 years ago is here." So while they went to the back to get him, I decided to hang out and check out the props. And like Molorom said, the pile of rugs was nearby, so I asked the "Indy" if I could check out the whip. He said sure, so I picked it up. Now those of you who know me, know that I'm a wild guy. So I've got the whip in my hand, so I walk out a little bit onto the "stage" and strech it out. So the "Indy" is watching, and says "go for it. Lets see what ya got. Just don't get hurt" Well little did he know, 'eh?? CRACK! Scarred everyone in the theatre. I look up, and my friend was walking out of the back, shaking his head of course. "I see you've been training for your job" he says to me. "I wish, I live in California now" I replied. We talked for a little while and he said that if I ever came back, I'd have to let him know. Man, almost makes me wanna move back.......

He later told me that was the loudest crack he'd ever heard in that theatre. Some of the actors don't even know how to crack them, and they use sound fx sometimes.

Kind of a funny, cute, little story. Just thought I'd share it with all of you since we were on the topic of the Stunt Show Whips!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Great story Jonesy. Sounds like we really need to get some more of our Indy Gear folks down to Disney Florida, maybe put on some Indy workshops for the crew.

Dan