Garrison Raiders and Rain

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Garrison Raiders and Rain

Post by indyexpat »

Persistent rain and you have your beloved Garrison raiders to hand. What do you do?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Garrison Raiders and Rain

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Wear it! You know, it'll keep your head dry.

David makes his hats to be worn every day, in all weather.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again, hats are tools, first and foremost.

They're there to keep your head warm in the winter, shaded in the summer, and covered in the rain and snow.

GOOD hats can be rebuilt and reblocked many times, so wear it, enjoy it, and make it an old friend.

I have several hats that I've worn in ever kind of weather I can list, including frog strangling rain storms, and have done so for over a decade, specifically beaver hats. If they start having issues, I just send them to one of our hatmakers for a reblock and cleaning, and I'm right back at it again.

I'm a little more careful with rabbit fur hats when it comes to rain, but I still wear them in all weather. If I KNOW it's going to be rainy, I wear a beaver hat, but if I'm caught in the rain with a rabbit hat, I just make sure it has more time to completely air dry after I'm done.

A Garrison fits the description.....a GOOD hat that is made to take it, rabbit OR beaver.

Wear it. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Thanks guys :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

I do treat my hats with a water repellent. Let it get wet. If it gets soaked, use good practice. Push out the bashing and let it air dry on a hat stand. Put the bashes back in and go on about your business.
A flight in an open cockpit plane does the trick, too. ;)
:TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Just check for snakes before take-off! :o

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I can tell you after David reblocked my brown AB beaver last year and it got soaked in a storm in Florida I didn't even have to push out the bash. It just dried overnight, and was worn the very next day with no changes.

Rabbit, on the other hand, isn't quite that 'forgiving', but if you do exactly what David advises, you're good to go.

His water repellent product works. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I took the advice of M, IJ, and LLS and wore it in inclement weather. My head stayed dry, and the hat held up like it never happened. Snow, rain, hail, you name it my hat has bested it.

Sent from a bathroom inside the Death Star
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

I got my Garrison totally soaked in the Moore tornadoes last year. You'd never know it to look at it..................
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Local Land Surveyor wrote:I do treat my hats with a water repellent. Let it get wet. If it gets soaked, use good practice. Push out the bashing and let it air dry on a hat stand. Put the bashes back in and go on about your business.
A flight in an open cockpit plane does the trick, too. ;)
:TOH:
I meant to ask you if you're doing the traveller hat?
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

Oklahoma Jones wrote:I got my Garrison totally soaked in the Moore tornadoes last year. You'd never know it to look at it..................
Ok I confess mine got soaked last year and I've been too nervous to use it since your post. I have now and it looks perfect. Maintaining the shape is my concern.. Anyone interested in developing mini blocks?