BK Cairo

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

BK Cairo

Post by knibs7 »

I know you must be getting annoyed of my questions because I know I am, but this is going to be my first custom Raiders jacket and I want to get it perfect. I know everything there is to know about the LC and TOD, but I'm a noob when it comes to Raiders.

So here's my question: What makes the BK Cairo jacket different than the normal Relic Hunter?

Kyle
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: BK Cairo

Post by CM »

Didn't know there was a Cairo version. I imagine it's based on the theory that there were three jackets seen on screen in Raiders. A prototype seen in Batu Wind shots, a Hawaii and a Cairo, identified in scenes this particular jacket was worn in. Screen grab analysis "prove" this theory using identification of the various jacket features supposedly specific to the different versions seen in certain scenes - folds, zips, pocket shapes, collar configuration, length.

I don't know if the theory is right and I don't care if it is as I only see one jacket (yes, I know many were made and worn on screen) and that one is close enough to a G&B for me to have settled on that iteration. I can see variations in shots but the jackets all look so similar to me that I couldn't care less about the purported differences. But that's just me. :TOH:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

The only difference I see in the movie is that the Cairo jacket has the striation marks on the right side of the jacket. The reason I'm asking about the difference in the Cairo and the standard Relic Hunter is because they both have the marks.

:TOH:

Kyle
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I THINK it may have something to do with the shape of the collar. There's a great thread here somewhere in which Tex simplifies and, I think, identifies the main hero jackets. I can't remember the details, and now I'm going to revisit it myself! But it did give me one of those 'Eureka!' moments. I'm not the best student of screenshots, though. But the hi-def images are enlightening. :)
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Here you go:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's very good. Read slowly and thoroughly! :lol:
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

Collar and front cargo pocket leather flap are more round for the Cairo version compare to the Relic Hunter version,more simple especially for the cargo pocket,you must have a look at the pictures of the jackets on the BK Facebook pages..
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Thanks, I will. I keep forgetting about Facebook. Never used it except to sign in. Only registered to get Spotify, and I don't care for Spotify!!
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

knibs7 wrote:I know you must be getting annoyed of my questions because I know I am, but this is going to be my first custom Raiders jacket and I want to get it perfect. I know everything there is to know about the LC and TOD, but I'm a noob when it comes to Raiders.

So here's my question: What makes the BK Cairo jacket different than the normal Relic Hunter?

Kyle
Since when where you a noob in wearing an awesome raiders hat at Disney Land?
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

I own this version and here is what you get with the, Cairo jacket:

•Shorter collar width
•More gently scalloped pocket flaps
•Slightly rounded collar tips
•Rounded storm flap (collar stand).
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

baddates1 wrote: Since when where you a noob in wearing an awesome raiders hat at Disney Land?
Haha well I'm a noob when it comes to the jacket

Kyle
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Bdgsi11 wrote:I own this version and here is what you get with the, Cairo jacket:

•Shorter collar width
•More gently scalloped pocket flaps
•Slightly rounded collar tips
•Rounded storm flap (collar stand).
Many thanks!

Kyle
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Are you an FB?
They have side by side pics on their FB page.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

My BK order was #6. Before that, there was no differentiation, you simply received a Raiders jacket. If you compare stills, it almost looks like the Hawaii jacket is a different skin, as compared to the main Hero, or what BK now refers to as the Cairo jacket. The differences between these two film jackets were apparently the skin, as the main Hero was supposedly made of ribby Merino, veg tanned in the rough, with visible striations on the upper right panel. As Peter referred to it, "to crust"...crusty looking outer shell, upon closer inspection. Undoubtedly because the skins were pegged out to dry in the sun, it is visible in this still of the sleeve: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm590527232/t ... i_all_sf_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beyond that, you have softer (not as pronounced), rounded pocket flaps on the main Hero. The Hawaii collar lays flat, very similar, virtually identical to my S&J. The main hero is known for its quirky collar shape, something that Wested reproduced faithfully until just before the Hero project. Bdg posted a good summation of what you may receive. The main Hero is my favorite...ah, the desert sands....