Real bull whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Real bull whip

Post by Misa »

First i want to explain title. Why Real Bull Whip ??? It is simple, because it has one part made of, one of the most durable organic material in animal world, bull’s ***** core. Actually fall itself is made of this material. I decide to use this particular material because since i start to make whips, i have constant problem to find proper, durable leather for fall. In my country, we do not have Latigo leather, widely used by forum members and other whip makers, so before two years ago i finally got idea about this material. I obtain THIS from local butcher and hi was very curious about my idea, so hi just told me that is initial cleaning very hard job and also very boring. So i start cleaning bunch of slime, tendons and other alien- like material. After almost 3 hours i made to separate strong, flexible tendon from middle of bull *****. After that it was washed in several bucket of clean water, and placed in bucket full of salt. It stay in salt for about one month. After that i pierced thicker end of piece and hang them on hook. On other, down side of piece i hang bunch of heavy metal parts. It is important for proper stretching. It was hang on dry, shady place on open air. After this drying i slice whole piece on 4 parts by length, and make nice custom fit belts, future falls. First fall i mount on my first bull whip, and i really try to break it, but with no results. It is strong like ####. I also try to crack whip whit completely dry fall, and again nothing, strong and durable like bull itself. I decide to make this text because forum was a little slow in past 6 month, so i hope this text will be interesting new addition for our whip community. Picture below are 1. whole piece of dry bull ***** core 2. strips of salted falls, 3. mounted piece on whip. So if you have any questions… strike… great regards to all.

Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Real bull whip

Post by Misa »

easier to see in photobucket
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Now there's something ya don't see every day... :-k :D
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

So does it crack?
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

Cracking is not problem, cracker or popper do the job. As i say, i have problem with fall, but now it is solved. This material is extremely strong and from now i'l try to produce enough amount for my need, but from one bull (animal) i can make only 4 fall. Just for info, my cracker is made from aramid thread.
KeepaySF
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by KeepaySF »

A novel and well-reasoned approach. I only wish it didn't bring my own shortcomings so unhappily to mind.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

KeepaySF wrote:A novel and well-reasoned approach. I only wish it didn't bring my own shortcomings so unhappily to mind.
:rolling:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Well. This is certainly um, new and interesting.
Misa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Misa »

it was inevitable. Very long time i have problem with fall leather. I made very serious investigation, just for finding good ones but with no good results. Near my town it was huge factory, but before few years it was shut for domestic trade, so i was forced to use other materials. This bull p.... core is not good idea, after all, only because of they deficiency. Material itself is enormously strong and durable.