Pondering a US Wings Legend... but what size?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Pondering a US Wings Legend... but what size?

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I don't know if I will pull the trigger, but I have shrunk out of all my old Indy jackets. I'm still clinging to a US Wings Signature that was cut a little smaller than usual, but...

Anyway, having owned a bunch of Signature series jackets, I have always volunteered my sizing experience with those in need. I have a very BASIC grasp of the Legend sizing - which is to say that I know they are cut slimmer and shorter than the Signature series. But having never been in the same room with one, maybe somebody with first hand knowledge could make it a little clearer for me. (Yes, I did try searching - a mountain of matches, and nothing concrete in the limited time I have on the internet.)

So... if I follow the US Wings size chart, I'm a 46 chest, meaning XL. Will the fit of this jacket require going up, down, or do those who own think XL would work? Keep in mind that I am not of an athletic body type. In fact, this is me now (um... on the right);

Also, if my wife, Canyon, were to get a Legend, would she be able to rely on the chart if using her bust size?

Chewie
("The Wookiee isn't wearing a jacket!"
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Pondering a US Wings Legend... but what size?

Post by Michaelson »

Silly question, I know, but did you drop Wings a note and ask them what they recommended for your sizes and body shape?

They're the ones who can really answer those specific questions.

You can reach David at 'collector@uswings.com'

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Always a smart thing to do is to go straight to the person/company that is making your item.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Beautiful hat,too!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Don't you just hate it when you have a post almost complete and you hit 'something' on your keyboard and it goes away? :x

You certainly can ask Sarge for his suggesiton, though be mindful he tends to recommend tighter fits. Must be from his Army days. A few years ago I visited USW and had the pleasure of meeting David. He had me try on just about every jacket in the shop. The ones where I felt like a stuff sausage he said looked great and the ones where I could actually breathe he said looked too big or sloppy.

As a couple of data points, I've owned two Legends. I have no idea if the relative sizing continues to increase proportionately to these two, but at least they are numbers for you to look at.

Medium: pit-to-pit = 21"
Large: pit-to-pit = 23"

Medium Bottom Hem: 20"
Large Bottom Hem: 22"

Medium Windflap: 22"
Large Windflap: 23"

Medium Back Length: 25"
Large Back Length: 26"

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you can wait until tonight, I'll dig out my XL horsehide prototype Legend and get those measurements for you too.

Can't argue with you on that point, Jeff. David loves 'military fit', that's for sure, and the Legend is a big snugger than the Signature series.

Regards! M
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I will contact them to see what they say before purchasing. But rather than rely on one opinion about fit, I thought it might be good to get a few and put them in the mixer. Sort of like triangulation. I mean, as long as I have access to real-world customer opinions who know what's what, I figure I should avail myself of that excellent resource. Plus, what a vendor might look for in a jacket (in this case, Sarge) might be different than what we psychos... um, gearheads... look for.

I'm not in a rush, Michaelson. I'd love to have those measurements.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'll get 'em tonight. I have a class to produce this evening, but will be done by 6 central. I'll have you some measurements by tonight or first thing in the morning.

Stay tuned. :TOH:

Regards! M
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

My mistake. I pulled the jacket out, and it was a Large, not an XL. Sorry about that. :oops:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Chewie,

You're right about not being able to find information about the XL Legend sizing. I dug around using a few searches and this is the closest thing I could find.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50428&p=732866&hili ... ge#p732866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The member that started the thread hasn't been through the door in over a year, but you could try to PM him and maybe get measurements.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

Hey Chewey,

I'd call them and try to get someone in person to give you an answer. I emailed them the same question a while back and never got a response.
I currently have a 30th Aniversary goat legend, as described by the ebay seller I got it from. It's labeled XXL and measures a 48" chest, I assume it was mislabeled. Previously I had an XL Signature and it was a tent.
I have pretty much decide that I am not ordering another one from them on line, I'll wait until I get a chance to visit the store again (it's been 10 years since the last time, at the old location) and try them on.

B
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Like I suggested in my first post, use that email address and tell them you're a COW member and that I sent you. That's David Hacks direct email.

Regards! M
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

There is something vital that I think you guys can answer. About the cut... as in the stomach area. On the ones you guys (Jeff, Michaelson, Interbak), is it cut for a slim midsection, or allow for a little natural padding?

Despite all the "lack of info", this thread has provided some useful data.

Don't sweat it, Michaelson. After all, you've given me a direct line to the Sarge.

Jeff, that old thread does actually help. As do the measurments. I know Chris MD bought a XXL, so I can estimate where I belong and compare it with Sarge's suggestion.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:TOH:
It is slimmer around the middle, yes.
The Legend is definitely a trimmer fit than the roomier Signature series.
When I had a 44" waist over a year ago, a Large was a bit snug. Now that I'm back to a 36" waist, it's fairly loose, and a LOT more comfortable.
Regards! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I agree with M. I originally ordered a M, but it was too tight, especially around the midsection, so I exchanged it for the L.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Thank you all. I should be well-armed to make my decision. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

The e-trigger has been pulled!

I contacted Sgt. Hack, and his advice combined with all of yours has me and Canyon awaiting our first Legend series jackets. This will be Canyon's first US Wings, and only her second Indy Jacket.

Guys with short arms and large chest sizes, keep your eyes peeled. If this thing fits I'll have a pristine Signature series up for offer soon. ;)
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

Hey Guys,

I stole Michaelson's advice to Chewey and emailed Sarge directly. He directed me to the XL Legend, and it's a great fit, love it. I got the imported Texas Steer, great leather, nice weight, colour is excellent.
I may have found my last Indy jacket!

B
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Yep, waiting on mine too, but I ordered USW 30th Anniversary Featherweight Antique Lambskin Legend Jacket.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:There is something vital that I think you guys can answer. About the cut... as in the stomach area. On the ones you guys (Jeff, Michaelson, Interbak), is it cut for a slim midsection, or allow for a little natural padding?

Despite all the "lack of info", this thread has provided some useful data.

Don't sweat it, Michaelson. After all, you've given me a direct line to the Sarge.

Jeff, that old thread does actually help. As do the measurments. I know Chris MD bought a XXL, so I can estimate where I belong and compare it with Sarge's suggestion.
XXL was tight on my shoulders, XXL was ok there but didnt seem to be any more generous in the tummy department. Also was not really any longer

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I e-mailed them as well about the imported steer-hide Legend jacket today. I am 6'4, with a 38 inch waist and normally wear a 46L or 48 jacket. I am thinking the XXL Tall but am concerned the sleeves might be too long. Asked about the sleeve length on the 2XL and XXL Tall.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:The e-trigger has been pulled!

I contacted Sgt. Hack, and his advice combined with all of yours has me and Canyon awaiting our first Legend series jackets. This will be Canyon's first US Wings, and only her second Indy Jacket.

Guys with short arms and large chest sizes, keep your eyes peeled. If this thing fits I'll have a pristine Signature series up for offer soon. ;)

So how did the jackets work out?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Glenville86 wrote:I e-mailed them as well about the imported steer-hide Legend jacket today. I am 6'4, with a 38 inch waist and normally wear a 46L or 48 jacket. I am thinking the XXL Tall but am concerned the sleeves might be too long. Asked about the sleeve length on the 2XL and XXL Tall.
Sleeve difference is 1-inch. 27 on the 2XL and 28 on the XXL Tall. Ordered the XXL Tall and will just get the sleeves altered if necessary. Most of my regular leather jackets are 25-26 inches. I also realize the sleeves run longer on the Indy jackets. Curious as they say the jacket is a slimmer fit which might help with the sleeve length. I have a pretty big upper body.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Glenville86 wrote:
Glenville86 wrote: Sleeve difference is 1-inch. 27 on the 2XL and 28 on the XXL Tall. Ordered the XXL Tall and will just get the sleeves altered if necessary. Most of my regular leather jackets are 25-26 inches. I also realize the sleeves run longer on the Indy jackets. Curious as they say the jacket is a slimmer fit which might help with the sleeve length. I have a pretty big upper body.
You have chosen wisely. Mainly, I say that because the trimmer fit seems to make the body length fall shorter, and I think they are shorter anyway. So... yeah.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Indiana Jeff wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:The e-trigger has been pulled! ;)

So how did the jackets work out?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
You know, I keep putting off the update until I get pics, but one thing or another keeps getting in the way. So, it worked out well for me, but Canyon had to send hers back. It was one of those things where it was too big, but not big enough to be confident with the next size down. But she picked up a barely used Todds that she loves.

I ended exchanging, not due to fit, but hide. I tried the cowhide, and it was nice, but it was a thicker hide than I was hoping for. So I went with that super soft lambskin (I had that hide for a Signature series once). As for fit, it's rather nice. The body is shorter than I'm used to, but not in a way that makes it not fit. And, while I have lost considerable weight, I'm still not an athletic build, but I can get a light sweater under the jacket. So, you don't have to built like Terry Leonard just to get into one.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I can appreciate Canyon's dilemma. A Legend medium was too tight on me, but I felt the large was just a bit too roomy.

Glad you're happy with yours. :TOH:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff