Any Straw Pictures?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

stevemahaffey
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Any Straw Pictures?

Post by stevemahaffey »

I am needing to buy a good, dressy straw hat for my father-in-law. I had read reviews on Crease-n-Corral's Fortune and Glory way back when, and also Peter's Bros. Indy Straw, but none of those old threads seem to have pictures any more. Anyone out there have both and mind posting some new pictures, or can point me to a thread with good links?

I need to order fairly soon. He is on doctor's orders to never be outside without a hat. He has grown fond of his Fed IV I got him, but felts are not comfortable at all in NC in the summertime. I already contacted both companies for pricing, and have a few pics of Dusty's hat, but would really appreciate some more advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Any Straw Pictures?

Post by BendingOak »

A good dress straw? Panama? Brent black is the king of them.

Western straw Dusty Damrel from crease n corral is you guy.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

....take a straw poll? :-k
stevemahaffey
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stevemahaffey »

I really like Brent's, but he is a bit beyond the budget this time. The price and looks of Dusty's F&G are spot-on, but my father-in-law is not completely sold on the 'hard' straw. Any thoughts on Peters Bros, or is there another recommendation I could look towards?

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

You are comparing three different type of straw. What kind of straw are you looking for and what price rang?
stevemahaffey
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stevemahaffey »

Yeah, I know the question is a little vague. I actually emailed you about this a few months ago, John, and you gave the same advice (Brent or Dusty).
Ok. My Father-in-Law has an Akubra FedIV that I talked him in to when he got his doctor's orders. I gave it more of a CS bash and he wears it all the time. He wants something that will breathe better in hot, humid weather, but still be suitable for church on Sundays. Price is definitely a factor, but equally as much as comfort. I had all but placed an order with Dusty, for him a hat as well as myself, but he started to question the rigid straw and wants me to show examples of something styled like his Fed, but straw. Quality but at an "everyman's" price. I don't think he would go for anything over $150 or so

erikgunnlugson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by erikgunnlugson »

http://Www.panamahatsdirect.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Different styles and price ranges. Can customize and whatnot.

Also

http://Www.villagehatshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I have a PB straw Indy style and it is soft/springy and breathes wonderfully in hot weather.
I posted a picture in this thread on page four.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40920&p=799138&hilit=straw#p799138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Another vote for the PB straw here. I've worn the prototype since Joe Peters created it back in 2005, and it performs perfectly in hot weather.

Regards! Michaelson
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plenty of straw pics on this thread! I own one of Dusty's and love it. I've received many compliments on it as well.