My New Robert Duke Bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My New Robert Duke Bullwhip

Post by Indycraze71 »

My first ever Indy whip arrived today. I have owned a few whips since ROTLA was released, mosty old cowboy whips from the ranch, but today my first "real" Indiana Jones whip came to me in the mail and it was crafted by Robert Duke. First the specs, this is a 10 foot, 12 plait, kangaroo hide Indy bullwhip, made as requested to look as closely as the whip used in Raiders. I must say this whip looks like Robert took it off Indy's belt while he was looking the other way, it is a fantastic job through and through I could not be happier with how it turned out. I am reminded of Indy's whip in the film when he says "Stay out of the light." that is what this whip looks like to me as I hold it coiled in my hand. :D I have cracked this baby a few times since it arrived earlier this afternoon and it cracks very loud and feels great in my hands, the balance is spot-on even though its a bit stiff from being a newly made whip. I especially like the whistle it makes as it travels through the air. Robert's craftmanship is top-notch! I would highly recommend his whip to anyone. Also Robert as been a great pleasure to work with. He answered all my questions promptly and fullfilled all of my silly requests, he even made me an awesome whip-holster for my whip. His cutomer service is right up there with Joe Jr. from Peters Bros. Hats and Peter Botwright from Wested Leather. I couldn't be happier with this whip. All my thanks Robert. :D Best Regards, Brett
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Congrats on your new whip!
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I agree. Mr. Duke made my 8 footer and it is a terrific whip. His customer service and general correspondence is top notch as well. I have enjoyed e-mails with Robert that were non-whip related.

Isn't it great to have a vendor that explores other areas of Indy Gear other than their areas of specialty? Robert is a class act and it is good to hear Debi on here from time to time as well. We are blessed with many vendors that excel in customer service and are genuinely nice people - not out to make a buck. That is part of what makes this forum great.
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

we need pics! :)
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Here is the pic I made before I sent it.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Robert, the whip looks great!
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

I can take more pics if someone wants to post them...that photo shows the handle pretty good though, but the plaiting and the color looks just fantastic close-up... just let me know... The whip has a great Indy look to it. I can hardly believe its mine. :D Regards, Brett
RGF1911
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RGF1911 »

Very Nice!!! I was putting off getting a real nice whip like that. looking at that pic makes it hard to resist.

Anyway,

Nice whip.

Roger
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

Thanks Roger, I think it's a great price that Robert offers for his whips especially now that I have one...its a steal really. I know other whip venders here also offer pretty competitive pricing for their whips as well, so see whats out there for you and your budget. I am definately glad I now have a nice "real" Indiana Jones whip in my collection. Hopefully its the first of many more to come. :D Brett
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

post more! I can't get enough.
-scott
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

That is a FINE whip! :D Looks exactly like a Morgan. Congrats to both the whipmaker and the lucky owner!

-Dale
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

Thanks for the admiration guys, I will take some more pics tonight and try to get them up. Regards, Brett
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Brett just sent me a couple of photos of his whip that I had made for him. He asked me to post them up for him. Here is one.
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Here is the other picture showing a close up of the handle section. Image
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

Thanks Robert I appreciate your help. The color of the whip is more true to Robert's original picture above my 2 pics, the light in my office makes my pictures seem more yellow than I thought, but here you can still see what a great job Robert did on this whip. Enjoy. Brett
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Wow! That's a great lookin' whip! :D Congrats, Brett!
indybill
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indybill »

Wow! Awesome looking whip. I want one...just a few more
pennys to save first. :wink:
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

Thanks guys, well worth all the pennies I saved for sure. :D Brett
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

That's a gorgeous whip!