Adventurebuilt or Penman hats, AB phone disconnected help

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Adventurebuilt or Penman hats, AB phone disconnected help

Post by IndyJames »

My name is James and I am new here. I am in the search for a new indy hat as mine flew off my head at Crater Lake here in Oregon and was lost over the cliff :(

Anyway I e-mailed adventurebuilt after finding that the number on their site has been disconnected. I have yet to hear a response. I then found myself on the Penman hat company and called the man in charge there. He said that the adventurebuilt guy is having life issues and that he hopes to take the reigns over from adventurebuilt in the future as they are both apparently good friends.

My question here is this. Do I continue to wait for adventurebuilt to get back to me about ordering the exact hat made in the fourth indy film? or do I go with the penman hat company even though they are not the "official" makers of the fourth film hat?

Any information would be great as I am a total newbie in this. Thank you.

Question 1: Money

$750 budget

Question 2: Preference

Crystal Skull

Question 3: Useage

Daily wear, rain, snow, anything

Question 4: Speed of service

I do not care about a wait.

Question 5: Felt quality

The best that my budget can buy

Question 6: What's out there?

Adventurebuilt is the official builder of the 4th indy film hat. I can not buy the one in germany as I dont know how to even begin to order one from them. Penman is a good friend of adventurebuilt so I would assume both are in the top rage of indy hats when it comes to quality, service, and screen accuracy.
Last edited by IndyJames on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cajunkraut

Re: Adventurebuilt or Penman hats

Post by Cajunkraut »

You may be waiting for an undetermined amount of time for a US-made Adventurebilt.

A Penman fits all of your criteria. John will make you exactly what you want. Do a search - he has plenty of satisfied customers here.

:TOH:
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Germany? Adventurebilt Europe.

If you can get a hold of Steve, plop down the cash. He can probably turn it around in a few months. Its those of us on the wait list whom are, well, waiting.

If not, call John. There's no wrong answer.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

The issue I am having is that adventurebuilt's phone is disconnected and to be quite honest, I have never made a call outside of the us so I dont know how. I would get an adventurebuilt if I could get a hold of the guy but I cant. Does anyone know how, besides e-mail, if I could get ahold of adventurebuilt here in the states to even make sure he is even still making hats? Anyway thanks for the replys.

If this will help, I would really like a hat made by the same company who made the last indy 4 hat but that is a personal preference and will look past it if I can not get a hold of adventurebuilt.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Adventurebuilt or Penman hats, AB phone disconnected hel

Post by IndyJames »

I have been there. I kinda wanted to get ahold of the US AB guy. I have never made an out of US phone call and dont know how one would get a hat to me overseas.
Last edited by IndyJames on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

adventurebiltdeluxe.com
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Penman hats most definitely. If you look at posts on the Fedora Page you can find a bunch of thing saying how Steve Delk (Adventurebilt Hat Co.) has not finished or started orders dating back to 2008. Penman Hats I believe have you wait a few months to finish your hat (regarding he has other orders to fill). John Penman makes one of the most screen accurate any Indiana Jones fedora out there. I would go with him. I believe you don't need $750 for a penman hat. I think his Beaver hats are way lower than that by a few hundred dollars. They look cool, they are accurate. Check out his site at http://www.penmanhats.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . And if you want a totally accurate Crystal Skull fedora, I suggest you get it in beaver, considering the CS hat was made in Beaver by Adventurebilt.

Happy Hat hunting! Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Post by Bigfoot »

You should be able to contact Adventurebilt at the cell number posted here in the first post> viewtopic.php?f=24&t=58928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I have hats made by both John Penman and Steve Delk and although John will be too humble to admit I am right, I have absolutely no reservation saying that there is essentially no difference in quality or construction. John will correct me if I am wrong, but he has the same block that Steve used for CS. While I don't own a CS made by John to compare to my Adventurebilt, I have two of Steve's Raiders hats and three of John's and for the most part I grab my oldest Penman in preference every day.

So, if you can get through to Steve by e-mail and that's what you really want, go for it, but if you decide the go with a Penman do not for one second believe you are settling for a lesser product. :TOH:
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Just my experience here: I received my ROTLA fedora from Steve last year, after about one month since I placed the order (I'm overseas). Paid on sept 29, shipped oct 15, received nov. 4 . All the way nice communication with him.

Hope this helps :TOH:
Last edited by Duck9000 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

james73084,
As an aside, the old orders vs. new issue is a little more complicated, and can be explained elsewhere right here on this site. Steve posted his cell phone number in the vendors section in a thread he started himself. That thread explains things pretty well.

As of a month ago, I know Steve was busy working on hats.

I'm another one of the many guys that can say that you can't go wrong with either John Penman or Steve Delk. Steve's the guy here in the states. I've never seen one of Marc's hats, but they look beautiful online and I know I want one eventually.

And many guys here know these hats and have many examples of the work of each of these hatters. They won't steer you wrong!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:I have hats made by both John Penman and Steve Delk and although John will be too humble to admit I am right, I have absolutely no reservation saying that there is essentially no difference in quality or construction. John will correct me if I am wrong, but he has the same block that Steve used for CS. While I don't own a CS made by John to compare to my Adventurebilt, I have two of Steve's Raiders hats and three of John's and for the most part I grab my oldest Penman in preference every day.

So, if you can get through to Steve by e-mail and that's what you really want, go for it, but if you decide the go with a Penman do not for one second believe you are settling for a lesser product. :TOH:
Couldn't have said it better. Great advice.

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Well I was hoping you wasn't going to let the cat out of the bag about me taking over AB. I'll let everyone else chime in about who to buy from. If you can get one from Steve I would do so.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

Sorry about the late reply. I work two jobs so I try and get back to discussions as soon as I can. I like the looks of both hats and again would not mind waiting. I have yet to try to get into contact with steve from the phone that was provided. I e-mailed penman today and will probably call steve today as well. After reading some posts regarding steve's health condition I am a newbie in this hobby but even I am sad to hear the news and hope he is doing better. Thanks all for the advise. BendingOak I am sorry :( I face planted my face into my desk keyboard after you pointed out that I maybe shouldn't have said anything. I did not realize.

Working two jobs, going through the home mortgage process (Which *****) as well as having a builder build my home from scratch, which means waiting for building permits which ***** again, as well as taking care of twin boys I kinda get air headed sometimes and do not think before typing. I do apologize.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

I did call steve and left a message. Thanks for the info on that. Is there generally a long wait to hear back from him just curious as he must be terrible busy work on hats. Anyone have any experience on how long to wait before you can order?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

no worries, it is what it is.
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

I've done business with both John and Steve. I'd say go with Penman and don't look back. John is a true professional all the way, service is excellent (he returns emails and phone calls promptly), and the product you receive is absolute perfection.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

james73084 wrote:I did call steve and left a message. Thanks for the info on that. Is there generally a long wait to hear back from him just curious as he must be terrible busy work on hats. Anyone have any experience on how long to wait before you can order?
It's a mixed bag. Sometimes its hours. Sometimes weeks or months.
I think he gets bombarded and with his health issues I'm sure he gets overwhelmed.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

Well today is day 1 without hearing anything from steve after I left a message. I know he is going through financial trouble (That is what I read somewhere else so correct me if that is fixed or not). I am a person that does like to help someone in need, not saying penman does not need help. I don't want to wait years either lol. As said though I do not mind a wait. I wold prefer to get a hat made from the person who made the CS hat for the indy movie. I do hope steve calls today before I go off to work. I will keep all updated.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Another option you might consider if you are dead set on getting an AB, look for a used one.

They pop up for sale both here and on ebay.
A lot of the time, they have hardly even been worn.
I picked up a rabbit felt Raiders AB (the one in my avatar) from a member here for a great price that was in practically unworn condition.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

The issue with that Kwad is I do not even know my hat size. Penman said he would send me a tape measure so I could measure my head so at the moment I am just waiting on that. I cant go any further until that is finished. I'm just going to wait for now to hear from steve while I wait for the tape measure. I wonder if I should call again to make sure i left the right phone number. Well I called stve again but did not leave a message. I guess I will just wait for my tape measure and phone call 8)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I sent you a couple paper tape measures in today mail.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

Thank you so much Oak. I really appriciate it as well as your video saying how to do a proper measurment.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I have a Steve Delk Adventurebilt Raiders fedora and I can say it is an absolute piece of art and nails it on the head !!! That being said, and I think John would back me up on Steve's hats, John Penman makes an exceptional fedora particularly the Raiders (which is hardest to replicate of all the hats in the movies) and I feel he's the next on tap to make hats for the next movies !!! This guy has learned to become a great hat maker, you should see some of his other fedoras on the website, please do yourself a favor and check out http://www.penmanhats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; John is well within your budget and you will not be dissapointed !!! I suggest beaver, as the KOTCS fedora was beaver whereas earlier movie hats were rabbit. Good luck, don't forget... it always starts with the hat !!! Haha..Lol !!! :TOH:
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

After looking at both websites, I know they are both excellent quality. I would go with beaver as that to me is the most durable. Does john use the same hatblock as steve used for the CS movie? Someone on here said he did and if thats the case then I do not see any difference between AB or Penhat. The only difference is that AB was given the right to make the last movie hat, while penhat didnt.

Also, I was recently told that there are no fake AB or Penhats made like the knockoff nike shoe you can sometimes find, or the Aimpoint Optics you can find on the net. Correct me if I am wrong please.

My last question is, I hear that both makers put information inside the sweatband. Would there be a way to put my name inside the hat somewhere? Thanks for all of the great information.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

some of these questions need to go to the hat makers themselves.

Both steve and I write into the sweatband but I don't write customers names.

as for a knockoffs. The only way to get a AB or a Penman is to buy a AB or a Penman.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

james73084 wrote:
My last question is, I hear that both makers put information inside the sweatband. Would there be a way to put my name inside the hat somewhere? Thanks for all of the great information.
If so inclined you can write your name on the back of the sweatband. John still numbers his. Steve does not.

Or you can stick one of John's "Like H*** It's Yours" reward if found cards in the sweatband.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

If I may say so, you guys are awesome. I never knew that the hat I always loved was this famous and had a following that was so informative. Im waiting patiently for the tape measures and after a measurment is taken will more then likely be calling Penman and placing an order. I used to have one of those official indy hats that to be quite honest looked like a hat indy wore (I bought it at disneyland in california at the store next to the indy ride). It flew off my head and over a cliff here in oregon at a place called Crater lake. Anyway I did notice that the replacment I ordered online did not have any of the curvature that the movies had (More so in the front that kinda folds down alittle if you know what I am talking about, right above the eyes). Do you guys know if Mr.Penman or steve does the folding and stuff to give it the more onscreen look, or is that on me to put into the hat myself? Anyway thanks for the information.

I would hope that the hatters do the cosmetic looks as I would not be good at doing so myself.

After looking at a few videos, I guess its called Bashing. Do you hatters bash for your customers? I hope so :). I would like mine bashed Crystal Skull style :)
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

james73084 wrote: Do you guys know if Mr.Penman or steve does the folding and stuff to give it the more onscreen look, or is that on me to put into the hat myself? Anyway thanks for the information.

I would hope that the hatters do the cosmetic looks as I would not be good at doing so myself.

After looking at a few videos, I guess its called Bashing. Do you hatters bash for your customers? I hope so :). I would like mine bashed Crystal Skull style :)
Both John and Steve produce a Crystal Skull that is made on the same block as that used for the film and yes, both of them crease the hat before it is shipped. They also make the hats seen in the 3 original films. (Check out John's website. It has photos of each style) Steve will set up a Raiders hat to mimic any scene in the original film, whereas John (with the exception of his Cairo Hat) prefers to deliver a hat that is generally the Raiders hat and then let Mother Nature take her course as the customer wears it.

Which is not to say john can't or won't cease a hat to match any given scene, but realistically as you wear it, it's going to adapt to your usage so unless you plan on displaying it and never using it what's the point?

Both Steve and John also "turn" their Raiders hats so the brim has the same warp that the original did as well
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Just want to clear up one thing. The Penman CS hat is made from a block that I came up with to replicate the CS hat. It's not the same block as Steve's. It's very,very close but not exact. Besides all that (Steve) used 3 things besides the block (as to make it impossible for others to replicate the hat exactly). After being told what they are, I would never have figured them out no matter how hard I try.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

As time goes on and I read more and more threads like this I get a better and better understanding of the expression "mad as a hatter". LOL.

LJT

(Please note tongue firmly planted in cheek.)
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

Lol so steve has 3 things that can not be replicated. Its probably a secret but are they noticable or onscreen without telling us what they are? Not trying to pry just being curious. I imagine making hats has little trade secrets jut like chefs have when making foods. Anyway I am excited. Also how long is the wait Banding. I never got to ask. Like from when I place an order until my hat ships.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I gave my word that information would stay with me. as for time. I'm working every day and some nights working my list down. I would estimate 2-3 months.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

I kinda figured. Was just wondering if it was noticable onscreen or not. 2/3 months is not a big issue with me. What is your most sought after hat? I hear the Hero Fedora (raiders) is the most popular. Is the felt you use kinda floppy like the raiders hat is? Or is it more in line with the hat I used to have that did not have any floppyness at all? Speaking of floppyness is the CS kinda floppy?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

No, I don't think you going to see it by looking at photo's or screen grabs.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Wouldn't be much of a secret if you could
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

Understandable.

So which style is the most sought after? My father likes the raiders one, while as you all know I like the CS one the best. Im just curious as to which one is "The hat" most indy fans like.
chuck2003
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by chuck2003 »

Well considering raiders is the most popular of the four movies I would say the Raiders hat would be the most popular
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

raiders hands down.
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

Well today the tape measure's arrived. THANK YOU PENMAN HATS!!!!!

I sat down and did my measurments, submitted an order form, and now will wait. I can not tell you all how excited I am to be going through with this. As you all know my last hat flew off my head here in oregon and ever since then (2 years ago until now) I have felt lost without it. I know that my new penman will be better as well as exactly what I am looking for.

I am sorry to say that through e-mails and phone calls AB never got to me and I do not think its worth me calling germany. For anyone in the future trying to get through to steve and AB, I hope you do. Thank you all for your advise and help this means a lot to me. I think my decision to pick penman is the best :).

My wife however does not agree and would rather spend the money on shoes and a new purse (Her purses cost more then my hat). But as I am turning 30 this year she gave in to get me a good, best quality money can buy indy fedora. Thank you all. When I do get my hat I will post up pictures for you all of you want.

Just curous, what is an edge treatment?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

james73084 wrote:My wife however does not agree and would rather spend the money on shoes and a new purse (Her purses cost more then my hat). But as I am turning 30 this year she gave in to get me a good, best quality money can buy indy fedora.
James, you're fortunate to "arrive" with one of the finest handcrafted fedoras money can buy at the age of 30!

Your wife probably won't get the lifetime of enjoyment out of any one purse or pair of shoes that you'll get out of your Penman. Furthermore, shoes and purses go in and out of style.

;)
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Dude,

Can't go wrong with John. Has made all my hats, CS included. Didn't have Steve blocks when he made mine, but looks and feels fantastic. My first and favorite hat. The bonus is he is a cool guy.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I would suggest getting a Penman hat, reason why I haven't gotten one is I'm still waiting on hat from Steve Delk or Adventurebilt and my order was placed 6 years ago. I don't think you will have to wait that long now if you get a hat from Steve, but the price has increased. So if you got the money you could get one from Steve, who did make the hat for Indy IV or you can get one from John.

I ordered a AB Henry from John a couple years ago when they were still offered, John not only took my order, but when he finished preparing my hat he called me that he was at the post office shipping it. I really appreciated the professionalism and his care for the customers. He had the hat box that was exclusive for the Henry when he had it. It is really nice to have the box with that hat. I would order a Penman in my opinion.

IndianaChris711
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

Mr. Penman has been straight forward and to the point over the phone and e-mail. It has been a pleasure working with such a person. While I do not have a hat to attest to its quality (Yet), from the videos as well as the reviews here think its safe to assume it is top notch. Mr.Penman do you mark your fedoras by the felt used? Such as inside the sweatband like a stamp that says rabbit or beaver felt?

I know that if I were to be in charge of the next Indy film I would choose John to make the hats.

By the way has anyone heard anything regarding that at all? I am hoping for another indy film. I just hope Shortround comes back :)

Thanks for the advise IndianaChris. I have ordered today a hat from John and it is lower then my budget so you can not go wrong there either.

As for steve and AB. It is not in my nature to knock people. All I can say is that those who are waiting, I hope you receive the product you order. Saddly with what I read on here + the no e-mail or phone call that kinda nailed it for me to choose penman. It is what it is. Thanks again all.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Thing to remember, at this level these hats can last for decades, even a couple lifetimes, with proper care and use. They can be cleaned and rebuilt, so they're more of an investment than just a 'purchase' like throw away items you find for sale in stores.

If you're in it for the long run, it is money well spent, regardless of vendor.

Looking forward to seeing your hat when it arrives.

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

My sweatband are stamped with the Penman goo and the other side is handcrafted with fine fur felt. This way I cover two type of felt with the same sweatbands.
Obi Sean Kenobi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Obi Sean Kenobi »

BendingOak wrote:My sweatband are stamped with the Penman goo and the other side is handcrafted with fine fur felt. This way I cover two type of felt with the same sweatbands.
I dont know if "Penman Goo" is a good selling point!! Loll :rolling:
IndyJames
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyJames »

Ok what is penman goo?
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge