Original Alden Indy Boot

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Original Alden Indy Boot

Post by Nevada Jones »

Did we ever get an answer in regards to why Alden has never come out with the original Indy boot that Ford used in Raiders?

I know that Adventurbilt has an exact copy that Alden makes for them, so I know the materials are still available, but I'm just curious as to why Alden just doesn't come out with a reissue on their own. I note on their website that they feature no less than 11-12 different versions of the boot, but nothing resembles the original except for maybe the Rugged Indy boot.

Thoughts?
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Original Alden Indy Boot

Post by j_m_t »

everything I read is that the original tannery doesn't exist blah blah blah dye is hard or impossible to find blah blah blah
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

It's obvious that it can be done.

My guess is that with the current variety of regular production offerings, they simply don't want to invest in another. From a business perspective, the 'original Hero boot' market is likely a small group.
j_m_t
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by j_m_t »

Cajunkraut wrote:It's obvious that it can be done.

My guess is that with the current variety of regular production offerings, they simply don't want to invest in another. From a business perspective, the 'original Hero boot' market is likely a small group.
They do small batch orders all the time though for different stores, just takes 5 years to get them made.
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Cajunkraut wrote:the 'original Hero boot' market is likely a small group.
Hmnnn, don't think I agree with you there. The original Hero boot has a classic look to it that I think a lot of men would gravitate to, gear heads or not, and the fact that it's "Indy's boot" would only add to it's popularity. Men like "classics" that hold up over decades. The offerings on sale at the Alden shop are for the most part just silly, and I mean come on, 11-12 versions and not the original Hero boot?

Too bad no one at Alden seems to read this forum....
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Still waiting to hear back from adventurebilt. Sure do love waiting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Nevada Jones wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:the 'original Hero boot' market is likely a small group.
Hmnnn, don't think I agree with you there. The original Hero boot has a classic look to it that I think a lot of men would gravitate to, gear heads or not, and the fact that it's "Indy's boot" would only add to it's popularity. Men like "classics" that hold up over decades.
I agree that people other than gearheads would buy them. Which is exactly why my original reply specified "from a business perspective".;)

To a mass producer, we're nothing but a niche market. Because the general consumer isn't as attentive to detail as we are (read: they don't care), Alden sells plenty of its 400 series because it's known as the IJ boot. Yes, we know it's a top quality boot besides. Their ever-increasing price tag is proof enough of that.

Again, from a business perspective ;) ,why would Alden market two pair of Indy boots that are nearly identical (to most consumers) with the exception of the type of leather used? In over 30 years, Harrison Ford's original dark brown 405 has only recently been resurrected as a "close enough" dark brown Chromexcel 403. I doubt the cotton duck lining will return, so right now the leather is the main difference between the Hero 405 and today's 403.

So could we see the Hero 405 mass produced? Anything's possible, but probably not as long as the similarly-colored 403 is around.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Nevada Jones wrote:I know that Adventurbilt has an exact copy that Alden makes for them, so I know the materials are still available, but I'm just curious as to why Alden just doesn't come out with a reissue on their own. I note on their website that they feature no less than 11-12 different versions of the boot, but nothing resembles the original except for maybe the Rugged Indy boot.

Thoughts?
FYI, since Blu-Ray, AB's boot is no longer considered an exact copy of the original Hero boot. AB is revising the color of their next run but is retaining the dyed welt and moc stitching (which isn't true to the originals).

See this thread: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... =ab+aldens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Nevada Jones wrote:Did we ever get an answer in regards to why Alden has never come out with the original Indy boot that Ford used in Raiders?

I know that Adventurbilt has an exact copy that Alden makes for them, so I know the materials are still available, but I'm just curious as to why Alden just doesn't come out with a reissue on their own. I note on their website that they feature no less than 11-12 different versions of the boot, but nothing resembles the original except for maybe the Rugged Indy boot.

Thoughts?
Simple. They don't need to.

They sell everything they make, including the uber-expensive Shell Cordovan version, and get nothing but positive reviews.

They don't need the hassle of trying to replicate (and market as a replica) a pair of used work boots worn by an actor in a movie made 34+ years ago and risk having a group of customers - no matter how small - obsess over the number and size of every stitch, the grain of the leather, and the number, color and quality of fibers present in the thread used to sew the boots together - and then give them negative reviews for not "nailing it."

It's easier to let a small company spec the boots if it wants to and let the seller take the blame if it doesn't work out. :|
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Just wear them. Problem solved. They become accurate to you ;)

But really, since the 4th film was released the current color became screen accurate....so whats the problem?

Get the color you like, not the one the movie dictates to get.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Mola Ram wrote:Just wear them. Problem solved. They become accurate to you ;)

But really, since the 4th film was released the current color became screen accurate....so whats the problem?

That's the best possible advice with most of this stuff. :TOH:
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:
Mola Ram wrote:Just wear them. Problem solved. They become accurate to you ;)

That's the best possible advice with most of this stuff. :TOH:

Actually screen accuracy isn't my concern, I simply like the looks of the original with the dark brown leather AND matching brown stitching, AND the sole.

For the life of me I don't get how the famous 405 "clown shoes" with almost orange leather and white stitching were ever produced in the first place. Talk about butt ugly...
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Nevada Jones wrote:Actually screen accuracy isn't my concern, I simply like the looks of the original with the dark brown leather AND matching brown stitching, AND the sole.

For the life of me I don't get how the famous 405 "clown shoes" with almost orange leather and white stitching were ever produced in the first place. Talk about butt ugly...
Agreed, why the classic brown was changed to pumpkin and now brick is the million dollar question.

If you do a little digging, you'll discover that the white stitching and natural welt were features of the original Hero boot. PM sent.