Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Wested Indy Jacket Identification Question

Post by davidd »

Hey, Guys!

I recently picked up a "vintage" Wested Indy-style jacket via online auction. The listing described the jacket as "distressed horsehide." After I won the auction, I emailed the seller asking him if he knew anything more about the jacket. He kindly replied that he is a member of a leather jacket forum, that he owns and wears a number of leather jackets, and he occasionally sells those he is not wearing. He said he purchased this particular Wested Indy jacket second-hand from a shop in London eight to ten years ago, wore it for a short time, and it has since been in storage. He said this was a jacket manufactured as "distressed" by Wested.

The jacket feels quite heavy, particularly compared to my only other Indy jacket, a Wested ROLA special in authentic lamb ( purchased at auction several years ago). The zipper is a heavy brass YKK as opposed to the nickel-plated ROLA zipper, and the jacket zips on the "American side" rather than European like the ROLA. The jacket is a size 40, the same as my ROLA.

I'm curious as to whether it is possible to narrow down the approximate manufacture date of this jacket, the model or style of the jacket, and to determine if it is, indeed, horsehide. I know Wested has manufactured a wide variety of Indy-style jackets over the years from a number of hide types, so pinning down the exact style of this jacket might be a challenge. It is, however, the type of challenge I know some of you here might find entertaining! I'd appreciate your opinions!

I'm sorry I don't have dimensions at hand at the moment. Let me know if you need any particular measurements. I might also try getting some more color-accurate photos -- these are close, but I think diffuse outdoor lighting might provide a better indication of the true color.

Thanks in advance! :TOH:

Left: ROLA Authentic Lamb; Right: ??? Distressed Horsehide ???

Back detail

Liner detail

Buckle detail

Pocket detail
Last edited by davidd on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Wested Indy Jacket Identification Question

Post by Kt Templar »

I would say that is novapelle which is a distressed cow.

Jacket looks to be a standard "Raiders" with Xboxes added and D-Rings.

Vintage could be anything between 2009-12. I would guess around 2010 as it has the older label in it.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

If the leather marks easily it is most likely cow. Cow and horse can look very similar sometimes, but horse is very durable. The hide is obviously thicker, and is more a copy of a Raiders jacket than LC, although the sleeves and yoke line up. Wested has many times in the past made sleeves and yoke to align, such is not uncommon.

Generally, if the straps are anchored toward the lower portion of the pocket, do not have X-box stitch, have snaps on the storm flap and sleeve/yoke lines up it is a LC repro, in a vintage jacket. Those are the major details without splitting it too much.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Reminds me of my US Wings Legend Steer hide.

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Thanks for the opinions. I doubted that the jacket was actually horsehide, as horse seems to be uncommon in Wested Indy jackets, particularly in a pre-distressed version; plus, I figured the bidding would go higher than it did on the auction site if buyers really believed it was a horsehide jacket.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Usually, HH has sort of a slick sheen to it, is usually thick like cow, but not nearly as pliable, unless it has been treated.