Indy-Style Holster for "Other" Pistols

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Cajunkraut

Indy-Style Holster for "Other" Pistols

Post by Cajunkraut »

Found an Indy-style holster for those who may want or need (and of course are legally allowed) to carry their daily carry pistol while in Indy gear.

ImageImage

I realize it's not 100% SA, but neither is a Glock. ;)

Available from:

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/017.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/409/prd/134/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Indy-Style Holster for "Other" Pistols

Post by Mark Brody »

My own personal opinion - if you feel that carrying a gun makes you safer, you should be willing to forego a stylish holster for a functional one. A strap over the back of the grip with a thumb break snap would secure your gun just as well (or better) and make for a much less cumbersome draw. It does look nice, but I wouldn't carry in one of those on a daily basis.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Then again, if you're wanting one for use while working on your farm/ranch where concealment isn't of importance, but security and keeping your firearm out of the elements is, this is the way to go. That's why they made flap holsters in the first place. Protection of the weapon from the elements. This is an outdoorsmans holster.

Nice find. I've had my 'other pistol' holsters made by El Paso Saddlery in the past.

Regards! Michaelson
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Mark Brody wrote:My own personal opinion - if you feel that carrying a gun makes you safer, you should be willing to forego a stylish holster for a functional one. A strap over the back of the grip with a thumb break snap would secure your gun just as well (or better) and make for a much less cumbersome draw. It does look nice, but I wouldn't carry in one of those on a daily basis.
Brody, I like the way you're thinking. I'm right there with ya.

We can discuss the nuances of concealed or open carry and the best/fastest/safest/most practical holster for doing so and where it could/should be carried on one's person literally all day long.

This holster, like any flap holster, clearly isn't cutting edge holster tech. They're designed for a specific purpose, as Michaelson pointed out. I was thinking outside the box here, just for another carry option. Again, this holster is for someone who wants or needs to carry while in Indy gear, or something similar. If nothing else, I hope Indy fans simply appreciate the design of the holster like I did.

Legal methods of carry vary from state to state. So while "feeling" safer with a handgun may be a touchy subject in some areas of the country, carrying completely open, gunslinger-style, may go seemingly unnoticed in other areas, giving one more carry options.:TOH:
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Right, I wasn't trying to start a debate about concealed carry (as that is obviously not the intent of this forum). I was just making an observation that this wouldn't be a very good holster for it. Michaelson brings up an issue I hadn't thought of - carrying a pistol on a ranch. Again, it does look nice.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've had a concealed carry permit since they first issued them in Tennessee.

I have a carry rig....and then I use a flap holster when in the woods.

Just like all our equipment, it's all in what you're doing at any given time that dictates what is the best gear for use at that particular moment. :TOH:

Regards! M
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Alas, no Sigs on the fit list... Looks like I'll have to make one myself... But Nice find!!!
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

PyramidBlaster wrote:Alas, no Sigs on the fit list... Looks like I'll have to make one myself... But Nice find!!!
Blaster,

Another full-flap option for your Sig, per Michaelson's suggestion.

From: http://www.epsaddlery.com/p-88-2000-ful ... lster.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Another favorite of mine is a replica WW2 1911 holster. It fits a Hi Power as well. Can be weathered nicely and I can absolutely picture Indy with one.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Cajunkraut wrote:
PyramidBlaster wrote:Alas, no Sigs on the fit list... Looks like I'll have to make one myself... But Nice find!!!
Blaster,

From: http://www.epsaddlery.com/p-88-2000-ful ... lster.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sometimes El Paso Saddlery will custom make a flap holster based on their 1860 military flap holster in their catalog. That's what they used to make two for me in the past to fit an N-frame Smith 44 Mag and a Ruger Police Service Six in .357. I don't know if they still offer that service, but you can always ask.

Regards! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:
Cajunkraut wrote:
Blaster,

Sometimes El Paso Saddlery will custom make a flap holster based on their 1860 military flap holster in their catalog. That's what they used to make two for me in the past to fit an N-frame Smith 44 Mag and a Ruger Police Service Six in .357. I don't know if they still offer that service, but you can always ask.

Regards! Michaelson

El Paso makes some absolutely stunning products!!!!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Amen to that, Brother! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:Amen to that, Brother! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson

I want the Cheyenne Rig they make so bad.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They just sent me an email today stating if you order online before the 29th, you can get an additional 20% off the entire order.
Here's the body of the email:
End of Summer Sale

Dear El Paso Saddlery Customer,

Take advantage of our last sale of the year and have your order shipped before Christmas!

We do things the old fashioned way, handcrafting our goods from start to finish, just the way we always have since 1889. Although our methods are time consuming, we are certain you will appreciate the difference. To allow our customers to start stuffing their stockings early, we are offering the following special:

20% off any online purchase.

This sale will only last till September 29th! We look forward to your order and remember...guns and leather go together!

Sincerely,
El Paso Saddlery

Discount cannot be combined with any other offers or used on any previous purchases. If you have any questions, use the contact form on our website.

Delivery: Orders can be expected to ship within 8 to 12 weeks. Though we endeavor to deliver within this time, sometimes it may take a bit longer. Our goal is to make the world's finest leather goods, not the fastest. We thank you in advance for your patience.

Save 20% Internet only sale! Go to http://www.epsaddlery.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and when you finish placing your order, enter (copy and paste) the promo code "Fall 2013" to receive 20% off your entire order. Feel free to forward this message to family and friends so they can take advantage of this rare sale. This is a limited time offer, so make sure to act fast!

Promo Code: Fall 2013
Offer Expires: September 29, 2013

Regards! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

WOW what a deal. I wish I had the cash!
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Blaster,

Nice looking stuff! Looks like I'll be a customer soon.... Thanks!
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Makeitjones will also do a custom flap holster for non-Indy guns:

https://sites.google.com/site/makeitjon ... r/holsters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More on this from ChrisMD's thread:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... akeitjones" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH: