Budget indy whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Budget indy whip

Post by Steve Townsend »

Is anyone looking for a fairly nice budget Indy whip? I am an amateur whipmaker who would like to get some feedback on my roo hide whips. I'd be willing to make one for the cost of materials if anyone is interested.
baddates1
Vendor

Re: Budget indy whip

Post by baddates1 »

Hey could you send us some pictures of your whips if you have many whips? I would like to see them for myself.

Regards from an endangered gentleman: baddates1
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Hello all! I would love to post pics of my whips here but can't seem to figure out how to post photos on this forum. My whips are made with two plaited bellies and two cowhide bolsters following the standard Indy whip construction. I do not consider myself a professional whip maker just a whip making fanatic who wants to gain experience and get some feedback and or constructive criticism. If you pm me your email I would be happy to send some photos of my work. Thanks,
Steve.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Trust him guys this guy makes some pretty darn good whips. I saw some photos of them and they look great.

Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Thanks much for the compliments on my work baddates 1. This is something that I am very passionate about and just want to be fair, honest, and get as much time behind the hook as I can so to speak. Will post pics as soon as possible. Any advice on that would be great also.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

upload them to a photo sharing site, like imageshack, and choose the forum code. Just copy and paste. Remember this forum has a 640x480 size limit, which I think is dubbed "medium" on imageshack.

I also have seen a picture of Steve's most recent whip. From what I could see on the picture, he's doing great for his experience level. There's of course no way to know for sure without cracking it but he's off to a good start from what I can tell. I think the offer he's making is definitely worth it for somebody not wanting a really high quality whip. They're definitely better than any of the popular ebay or costume whips you see floating around.
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Thanks riku1914. That means a lot to me coming from you. I get better with each whip I make.

I tried the image shack thing. I created an account with them and got a message saying that login instructions were sent to my email but I have not received any such email. I tried to log in and got a message saying that no account exists for this username or email. I don't get it. Any other suggestions folks?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Photobucket is another one. Maybe it'll send the confirmation quicker.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Check your spam folder in your mailbox or wait a bit.

I have also seen you work on FB, way to go! Keep plaiting :TOH:
wilbyc82
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wilbyc82 »

I am interested to see some photos too :smile:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Man! I still can't log on to image shack or create a new account. I just get "authentication failed" and still no email from them. Anyone know of another site approved by c o w ?
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

http://s1331.photobucket.com/albums/w60 ... 85dd2e.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

http://s1331.photobucket.com/albums/w60 ... 95d6be.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

http://s1331.photobucket.com/albums/w60 ... a48e02.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Lookin' good, my friend!

DHW
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Thank you very much Daren!
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Mr. Townsend.Can these whips be whip cracked for a long time? and are they able to be whip cracked loud? Could you send me an email of the sound of the crack? I want to crack it n many ways and be able to make a loud crack. You see.... I am looking for a whip with a nice loud crack, not a "pft" or a "ter" I am looking for an "WHFOH TERRSH!!!!" That is what I want if I get a new whip. Is the kangaroo able to last a long time? Sorry I just want all the information and the best whip cracking low price whip I can find. I don't want a whip for show only, I want a loud whip cracking piece of Indiana Jones fun! Thanks again!

riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I'm not sure what your experience with whips is, but that often has more to do with the whips user than the whip itself.
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

baddates1 wrote:Mr. Townsend.Can these whips be whip cracked for a long time? and are they able to be whip cracked loud? Could you send me an email of the sound of the crack? I want to crack it n many ways and be able to make a loud crack. You see.... I am looking for a whip with a nice loud crack, not a "pft" or a "ter" I am looking for an "WHFOH TERRSH!!!!" That is what I want if I get a new whip. Is the kangaroo able to last a long time? Sorry I just want all the information and the best whip cracking low price whip I can find. I don't want a whip for show only, I want a loud whip cracking piece of Indiana Jones fun! Thanks again!

Yes Baddates1, these whips can be cracked for long extended periods of time and are just as loud as any other whip I suppose. The whip in the photos that I have links to has been cracked a lot over the last several months and shows no noticeable wear at all. Only the darkened leather from sunlight and the occasional application of dressing. Kangaroo in general is a very strong and durable leather but also very supple making it perfect for whips. The only thing that Indy does that you shouldn't do with any kangaroo whip is swing from it. It would probably hold a good amount of weight but the fall would surely break and this would undoubtedly stretch the whip in a bad bad way. My whips are not show whips at all. They are working usable bullwhips with a decidedly Indy look. Crack it as often and as long as your arm will hold up. As riku1914 stated, if you don't get a loud crack from these whips it is probably operator error so to speak. If you can do the basic cattlemans crack, you will undoubtedly be happy with the volume of the crack. The design of these whips (as pioneered by David Morgan) was initially made to meet the demanding needs of stuntmen. Built to last and withstand regular abuse. It is still really the best way to make a good whip in the eyes of some of the best whip makers in the country. I use the same materials and construction methods as those fine artists but simply and honestly lack the experience to make a whip as picture perfect and easy to crack as someone like David Morgan, Joseph Strain, Bernardo Del Carpio or Jeremy McEachern. But yes they are loud, yes they are very durable, and I don't think they look to bad!
Thanks, Steve T.
JR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JR »

Just what I needed to replace my old budget whip. Sending a PM your way.
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

To all interested,
I can currently only ship to within the USA.
Burns
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Burns »

PM'd! Good looking work.
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Thanks for the views and compliments all!! I have received a few orders and will post pics of new whips when I can.
Steve T.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

baddates1 wrote:You see.... I am looking for a whip with a nice loud crack, not a "pft" or a "ter" I am looking for an "WHFOH TERRSH!!!!"
Dates, I had to laugh at your descriptions. It made me think of TV news interviewees who animately describe tornadoes. :lol:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Ha thanks!
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

I'm interested in receiving pricing information for a 10' Indy style whip.

Please e-mail me at LZeitgeist@aol.com.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Budget indy whip

Post by ChrisMD »

Curious about info on a 10' Raiders type whip!

chrisrandom16@yahoo.com
While
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by While »

Steve Townsend wrote:To all interested,
I can currently only ship to within the USA.
Bummer!
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

I second that bummer :(
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

PM and e-mail sent...
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

They look pretty good. :)
Last edited by Dr. Jones, Jr. on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Sorry it took me a while to respond...PM and email sent to place order!
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Currently not taking any more orders. Must catch up on received orders. Will update ASAP.
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

Nice looking whips. I'll check back later.
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

Steve Townsend wrote:Currently not taking any more orders. Must catch up on received orders. Will update ASAP.
Is this before or after I contacted you on Sept. 17th and 24th?

I never heard anything from you, but am still interested in a 10' Raiders style Indy whip.

Price? Timeframe?
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Don't worry Z, he posted that in October 20. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

baddates1 wrote:Don't worry Z, he posted that in October 20. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Actually, that's what I'm confused about - he never responded to me at all, so I don't know what to expect.
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Pm sent Lzeitgeist. Sorry for the delay. I never thought that this post would generate as many sudden orders as it has in the last few weeks.
LZeitgeist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LZeitgeist »

Steve Townsend wrote:Pm sent Lzeitgeist. Sorry for the delay. I never thought that this post would generate as many sudden orders as it has in the last few weeks.
No problem at all - thanks for helping clear up the confusion. :TOH:
icemanfred
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by icemanfred »

Pm sent (pricing info)
When do you expect to be able to take new orders
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I have seen Steve's work....it is geting better with every whip. He has been corresponding w/ Nolan and Del Carpio. Del Carpio has sent video's he has personally made for Steve. Steve is studying and other things as well and is on the right track. He came out to my house and spent a few hours studying and measureing my David Morgan which made by Morgan, and my Joe Strain Whips. He is making amazing leaps and bounds quickly. I placed a big order which backed him up. He works a full time job and is a family man 3 daughters.please be patient with him, he will take all orders soon. This is a great chance to get an all roo whip at the cheapest price possible. he is just asking for the price of materials as he is mastering the techniques. I believe he will be able to start new orders in about 1 month. so just hang in there and be ready.
icemanfred
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by icemanfred »

Thanks for that info.
But I would still be interested in knowing about how much a whip would be.
Just so I know it it is something Ican follow through with.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Just got my 6'er. It is a GREAT Raiders Bullwhip! I would love to post pic's, but I don't know how. If anyone can help me to understand how to post here in detailed instructions...please help...other wise email me at indyvictory@yahoo.com for pic's and mention you want to see the Steve Townsend Raiders Whip. It is amazing his leap. He is using a Joe Strain Plait Drop method and Joe Strains Whip Construction Method w/ Morgan/ Del Carpio Methods as well. I saw his early works, and even though this is a few whips later...it is two steps up. He has surpassed Budget Whip Status fast! After he refines a couple things and with the next few whips...his work will easily be recognized and sought after. Steve...it has been a great pleasure and opportunity to hang out with you and be a part of this process. I appreciate you and look forward to your next few whips. I am a Joe fan Strain for life, but I will be glad to buy from you as well...my other whip makers wil have to be put on notice. It is Joe or You! God Bless.- Blake
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Here is a Youtube video of the whip Steve just made me. His best work yet...and the next few will be even better!

I had about 6 hours sleep....woke up, cleaned the mats, and shot the video. I look ruff...next time I will at least make my hair. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azn5Rr73 ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Burns
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Burns »

I just wanted to pop in real quick and say that I got my 8-ft. Townsend Indy whip last night, and wow am I impressed. The attention to detail and craftsmanship with this whip is obvious. I loved the process of pulling it out of the packing ad watching it spring out almost straight, an indicator of how tight and well braided it is. The 'roo-hide is of great quality, the plaits are smooth and meticulous, the taper is consistent and gentle and becomes bafflingly small and narrow all the way out to the fall. The color is gorgeous, and it has a great smell.

Mine has lead weighting added to it to balance the throw, which makes the whip feel huge, yet it remains very agile and takes very little effort to have it do exactly what I want. The crack is ear-splitting, and in fact I think I'll have to go to a park or something for most of the real practice that I'll be doing so I don't get run out of my neighborhood!

As I told Steve, I don't see how he's an amateur, and I agree that we will soon be seeing him mentioned in the same breath as Joe Strain and other high-profile whip-makers. This definitely won't be my last Townsend whip.

I'm going to try to take some really nice pics of it, and will post them when I do.

:notworthy: :whip:
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Awe shucks! Just a little something I "whipped" up!......ok I know, that was bad. Seriously though, thanks guys. I'm glad youre happy. I gotta say thanks to Bernardo Del Carpio, Paul Nolan, and Joseph Strain. I've been pestering these three guys for help and advice for a while now and it has really paid off. They've all been very helpful and open with the sharing of their techniques via email, YouTube and Facebook. I still have quite a few whips to make before I will be able to take any more orders, but I do feel that I am making great strides with each one that I finish.
I also have to say thanks to Blake Bruning for letting me take detailed measurements of a few of his Morgans and his Joe Strain's. Just having the opportunity to see these whips was educational and raised my expectations of what a good whip should be!thanks for the review Blake as well. I hope to see some pics posted from you guys soon holding and using the whips.
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

Will be picking up my New Steve Townsend 6' 12 Plait Indiana Jones KOTCS Bullwhip tonight! I can't wait! Will be glad to post pic's once I get them, but I don't know how to upload on this site. I guess I will get photo bucket? Anyways...see you in a few Steve. God Bless and Merry Christmas!
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

what I really want for you guys to do on here is to post pics of your whips that you got. I really want to see some more of these whips.
Burns
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Burns »

baddates1 wrote:what I really want for you guys to do on here is to post pics of your whips that you got. I really want to see some more of these whips.
I did up a quick page with a few pics of mine (the thumbnails link out to super-high-res images):

http://www.davidburnscreative.com/photos/whip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Townsend
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Steve Townsend »

Love those photos Burns! How is the whip holding up? Breaking in nicely?