Which MK VII to get?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Which MK VII to get?

Post by indyfan1234 »

Okay so I already have Todd's very first satchel and I believe they wernt 100 percent SA. So I'm been going through my gear and going to upgrade some stuff and one is the bag. I was debating on getting Todd's new bags or a repro or original from WPG. Any thoughts?
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Re: Which MK VII to get?

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Adapting an original will require that you mutilate an antique piece of history by cutting off the web shoulder strap and cutting out the divider in the center compartment. I've never been able to bring myself to do it. Also you can't guarantee what color you'll get and whether the canvas will have "issues."

You might consider Magnoli as a good substitute. Appearance wise his look like the originals, no rot issues, great color and no heartache if you want to take out the divider. Plus, the material is more substantial and keeps its shape better.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Hmmm good point. I wasn't going to cut the inside at all just the out side look is what I care about. So you say magnoli bag is good? How's WPG reproduction? Just considering there's as it's in the states. But if magnoli is better ill got one overseas.

I already have a darker version green. I'm looking for a little lighter version now. The more tanish one. Magnoli looks the right color so does the WPG repro...(well in the pics they do idk about in person.)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

When I was starting out in this hobby I went and got a couple of repros, and then an original. The repos looked good until they got washed… maybe they have improved their materials now anyone have any experience in washing the current batch of repros?

Old WPG:

WPG Washed:

Original:

Original Washed:

The original is still going strong today, been to 3 continents with me over the past 7-8 years. I have now 2 that get a rotation.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I have no experience with the WPG reproduction, and I can't say I've washed my Magnoli bag.

I'm pretty sure based on what I see that it would stand up to being thrown in the washing machine.

The disks on the newer version are supposed to be very accurate to the originals.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Ridgerunner58 wrote:I have no experience with the WPG reproduction, and I can't say I've washed my Magnoli bag.

I'm pretty sure based on what I see that it would stand up to being thrown in the washing machine.

The disks on the newer version are supposed to be very accurate to the originals.

The disc on the magnoli new version? I know they redid them I herd.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Kt Templar wrote:When I was starting out in this hobby I went and got a couple of repros, and then an original. The repos looked good until they got washed… maybe they have improved their materials now anyone have any experience in washing the current batch of repros?

Old WPG:

WPG Washed:

Original:

Original Washed:

The original is still going strong today, been to 3 continents with me over the past 7-8 years. I have now 2 that get a rotation.
I love the look of your washed original bag. Looks well worn. I love the H&S bags the most. They look more sturdy...well the ones I've seen. I've been debating on getting a real original from WPG just to have a original but just worried I might get one too distressed or too floppy. Or have other issues
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

And this is what it looks like today... the bench has faired far worse!!

indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Looks well used. Looks good. I can't decide if I should bite the bullet and get a original or get a replica
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I recommend WPG. I love mine. Personally I think Magnoli charges FAR too much for most of the stuff they sell. Good stuff, just too expensive. I dont understand it. My WPG bag looks pretty darn authentic after a saltwater bath in the June sun then sun drying and some knife distressing. Looks like its been dragged behind a truck in the desert.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

ChrisMD wrote:I recommend WPG. I love mine. Personally I think Magnoli charges FAR too much for most of the stuff they sell. Good stuff, just too expensive. I dont understand it. My WPG bag looks pretty darn authentic after a saltwater bath in the June sun then sun drying and some knife distressing. Looks like its been dragged behind a truck in the desert.
Yours Is the reproduction one from WPG?
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

indyfan1234 wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:I recommend WPG. I love mine. Personally I think Magnoli charges FAR too much for most of the stuff they sell. Good stuff, just too expensive. I dont understand it. My WPG bag looks pretty darn authentic after a saltwater bath in the June sun then sun drying and some knife distressing. Looks like its been dragged behind a truck in the desert.
Yea sorry I didnt clarify. Repro with the Indy strap.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

indyfan1234 wrote:
Yea sorry I didnt clarify. Repro with the Indy strap.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

indyfan1234 wrote:Looks well used. Looks good. I can't decide if I should bite the bullet and get a original or get a replica
If you can find one I would.

You can use it whilst the repros catch up. They seems to have advanced quite a lot in the last 5 years or so.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Kt Templar wrote:
indyfan1234 wrote:Looks well used. Looks good. I can't decide if I should bite the bullet and get a original or get a replica
If you can find one I would.

You can use it whilst the repros catch up. They seems to have advanced quite a lot in the last 5 years or so.
Yea WPG has a large supply or originals right now. Thinking of getting one and asking for the best one that holds its shape. I herd there starting to get harder to get ahold of
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Due to the dry rot stories, I was leery of buying an original, but I didn't want a repro as long as serviceable originals were still available.

When the W&G from WPG arrived, I was pleasantly surprised. It looked perfectly preserved for its age - no stains, bright brass vents, and a nice patina on the snaps. First thing I did was test the strap at the rings, with no issues.

With WPG's no-hassle return service, you can't go wrong if you purchase one of their originals. I've gotta admit, I do have a Magnoli enroute just in case the W&G proves me wrong! :-$
Last edited by Cajunkraut on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I'd go with an original. Even the best replicas aren't 100% accurate.

Kyle
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

I think I'll get an original from WPG. I don't care if the metal is worn or the color is a little faded. The only thing I'm concerned about is no canvas rot. And holds most of its shape.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I've bought three originals, two from WPG and one off eBay. One from WPG (W&G brand) and the eBay one (W&G brand) were the more olive green variety. The M & CO. H branded one I got from WPG was the more khaki (tanner) color and had the long loop on the outside of the bag (lower left in top pic) like in Raiders. This is my favorite and I fitted it with a Jake's 7/8" CS strap. WPG will look for the "right" bag from the un-issued originals if you specifically ask them to. My grandsons and I have taken all three bags on many excursions and have never had a rot or tear issue. We go rock hunting and have carried them in our bags along with tools, flashlight, etc..

more photos;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35223822@N ... 027836117/
Last edited by lantzn on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

i really like how the one in the top pic looks. ur bottom pic didnt come through. but anyway the top one looks like a perfect raiders one as it seemed to be darker then the other films. yours looks really good. looks like its been used for many adventures but still looks amazing shape :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I tried reposting the second photo, did it show? I can see both before and now which is odd. The second photo show both bags from WPG (including the one in the top pic before I added the strap.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Now I see it hahaha both looks good!! I can't decide which version I want to go with. I'm going to have to sit here and stare at the side by side and try and decide. I appreciate the pics. And thank you and everyone on this site for being so helpful

P.s. the darker one is the w&g?
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Under the photos is a link to the album where you can see LARGE versions and the writing.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

I think I like the m & co. Alot more. Idk why. Seems hold it's shape better and I kinda like the more sand color to the green. Maybe because the reproduction I already have is green and want a differnt one
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

indyfan1234 wrote:I think I like the m & co. Alot more. Idk why. Seems hold it's shape better and I kinda like the more sand color to the green. Maybe because the reproduction I already have is green and want a differnt one
The m & co h one is the most liked when I've shared the photos. There's a photo of Ford in his Indy outfit minus the jacket sitting in a chair in "Cairo" with his legs crossed. It's a behind the scene photo and you can see the bag details easily. My m & co looks like that bag.
I have a bunch of more side by side photos of the 2 bags ill upload to the album in a few.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

I really apreciate it. When I do order from WPG ill ask for a m &co if they have any. I hope they do. And I hope they will honor my request.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

OK all the photos have been added to the album.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Wow thank you for those pics. I really like the m & co h one much better. I hope they will have some in stock when I order and hope they honor my request.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I have an original and a WPG replica from, oh, 2005? I've never been able to cut the web strap off of the original (I just tuck it into the bag so you can't see it), but I much prefer it over the replica. Even though the replica is autographed and has been with me across the globe, the original feels sturdier, looks cooler with the weathered texture, and has cooler stories to tell. There's no beating the explanation that it's an old gas mask bag from World War 2. Mine even has some marker on it that says "AESF DECONTAMINATED NO/D." It's so faded you can't see it unless you look, but to me that's pretty awesome.

But long story short, I like the original just for durability's sake. This thing just feels tough! The replicas have always seemed to soft or floppy to be anything worthwhile to me. Either way you go, these bags are awesome.

Shane
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

McFly wrote:I have an original and a WPG replica from, oh, 2005? I've never been able to cut the web strap off of the original (I just tuck it into the bag so you can't see it), but I much prefer it over the replica. Even though the replica is autographed and has been with me across the globe, the original feels sturdier, looks cooler with the weathered texture, and has cooler stories to tell. There's no beating the explanation that it's an old gas mask bag from World War 2. Mine even has some marker on it that says "AESF DECONTAMINATED NO/D." It's so faded you can't see it unless you look, but to me that's pretty awesome.

But long story short, I like the original just for durability's sake. This thing just feels tough! The replicas have always seemed to soft or floppy to be anything worthwhile to me. Either way you go, these bags are awesome.

Shane
Agreed, Shane.

For those who love the look and feel of the originals, no existing repro will completely satisfy. I feel that Magnoli is in the lead mainly due to their attention to the hardware detail and desired SA khaki green color. As far as replicating the stitching and the different weights of canvas used on each original, I suspect that it's more cost efficient to purchase an original than it is to manufacture a repro that's 100% accurate.

That said, I think repros may achieve perfection eventually, but not as long as originals are still available and in demand. Just my $.02.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Thanks everyone for your input. And mcfly who autographed your bag?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

It was Deborah Nadoolman (now Nadoolman-Landis), the costume designer from Raiders. I was lucky enough to meet her at Comic Con a few years ago!

Shane
Ruben
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Ruben »

What is m & co? Where could I buy a bag like that?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Ruben wrote:What is m & co? Where could I buy a bag like that?
Ruben,

'M & Co.' was one of the many MK VII bag contractors during WWII.

The things that make their bag different than the rest are that generally, they're more on the khaki than green side of the spectrum, although the first M & Co. I ordered was as green as my W&G (Waring & Gilbow Ltd.). The second thing is that the external loop that the waist cord attaches to is noticeably longer than most manufacturers', which is SA to HF's bag in ROTLA.

I've had bad luck with both of the M & Co. bags I've ordered, as they were both torn and/or dry rotted in one place or another. I finally gave up and stuck to my perfectly serviceable W&G.

Here's an interesting essay on the MK VII. Check out the extra long loop on the leading edge of Indy's in the photo that lantzn mentioned:

http://www.chronarchy.com/essays/markvii.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M & Co. bags are available from:

(By special request) http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=1914&bc=no" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/mkvii-indi ... oduct,8656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck. :TOH:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I join the bandwagon of suggesting originals because I have yet to see an excellent screen accurate reproduction and for the price gap between reproductions and original ones I would always choose the latter. Unless you need it for a "casual" costume, an authentic WWII bag is full of character and is always a must.

If you are interested I have bags of many different brands and colours to choose from, check out this thread of mine
Ruben
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Ruben »

I have bought a M&Co bag on sofmillitary.uk. It arrived here in only four days. It seems a little bit greener than expected. It's completely undamaged, except one button but it could easily be fixed.
I'm very happy with my bag. I am only looking for a leather strap. If you like it, I could post pictures.
:)
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Ruben wrote:I have bought a M&Co bag on sofmillitary.uk. It arrived here in only four days. It seems a little bit greener than expected. It's completely undamaged, except one button but it could easily be fixed.
I'm very happy with my bag. I am only looking for a leather strap. If you like it, I could post pictures.
:)
Pics are always appreciated at COW. :)

WPG, makeitjones, and Todd's have good straps to choose from, depending on what SA look you want. A search of the forums will find end user pics of each. I bought Todd's because their latigo strap looks Raiders SA to me. Check 'em out:

http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=2251&bc=no" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://sites.google.com/site/makeitjon ... bag-straps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/m ... bag-strap/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;