Can you "un-tan" a whip?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Can you "un-tan" a whip?

Post by Alex »

A year or so ago I purchased a great kangaroo whip from a vendor here in natural tan (Raiders style) that was the perfect color. Over time conditioning it, cracking it, and generally wearing it on my belt it has darkened to a near TOD color. Is there any way to safely bring it back to its natural tan color?
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Can you "un-tan" a whip?

Post by Canuck Digger »

Not unless you are willing to paint your whip, which I'm given to understand doesn't hurt the whip any.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Couple of things here.

First of all, I do understand the desire to have your whip retain that "new" look.

However, the darkening of a natural leather whip is part of its character.

Also, it should be noted that because many different whips of different ages were used in Raiders, the color varied quite a lot from scene to scene. If you're going for screen accurate to a specific scene, that's one thing, but if going for just general screen accuracy, then a whip along almost any color of the aging process is accurate. ;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Alex wrote:A year or so ago I purchased a great kangaroo whip from a vendor here in natural tan (Raiders style) that was the perfect color. Over time conditioning it, cracking it, and generally wearing it on my belt it has darkened to a near TOD color. Is there any way to safely bring it back to its natural tan color?

No
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

If you look at the pictures to the kingdom of the crystal skull, you will see Indy's whip dark brown or reddish brown (pretty much the same). So your whip is actually going through the same process as Indy's did. It started out as mid tan brown color, then it went to the same, the same, the same, THEN....the crystal skull bull whip is dark brown, and also the knot top of the handle, sort of became a brownish black! So believe it or not, you don't need to redo your' whip. :whip:
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

baddates1 wrote:If you look at the pictures to the kingdom of the crystal skull, you will see Indy's whip dark brown or reddish brown (pretty much the same). So your whip is actually going through the same process as Indy's did. It started out as mid tan brown color, then it went to the same, the same, the same, THEN....the crystal skull bull whip is dark brown, and also the knot top of the handle, sort of became a brownish black! So believe it or not, you don't need to redo your' whip. :whip:

Well, let's not forget that the knots on the whips in CS were dyed . . .

But I share your frustration, Alex. I too wish I could keep one whip looking just as Indy's does on-screen in Raiders, but it just isn't possible if you're going to use it. You could get it to just about how you like it and STOP using. Keep it away from the sunshine, only grease it lightly once a year or so, and it will probably stay SA for many years, but if its going to get use, it's going to change, that's all there is to it.

DHW
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

It's part of the whips character. I remember a Morgan from 1989 being posted on here. It was never used and still had the original fall and popper. That whip was incredibly dark to the point that you'd think it was originally brandy or whiskey.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6081/610 ... 2e8c_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6068/610 ... 088d_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only thing I'd imagine you might be able to do is buy a brown nylon whip. But even those will change color with use.
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys. The color I wanted it to stay is more of the opening scene mid to natural tan color. I do understand that over time it will change with use and what not but was just curious to see if there was a way to safely reverse the aging process. After all....it's dead skin ritght? haha.