Indy cotton jackets thread....

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

What type cotton Indy jacket should Wested/Peter make?

Light weight material
63%
Heavy weight material
6%
Both
31%

Total votes: 35

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Indy cotton jackets thread....

Post by Texan Scott »

We need a good catch-all thread for cotton drill & denim Indy jackets for warmer climates, etc. Maybe we can even talk Wested into offering them again, eventually? I see a real demand for these, especially during the early fall and spring months. So, you know the drill.... :P ...no pun intended!

Post 'em, UP! :tup: :ducttape:
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Indy cotton jackets thread....

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I had this jacket & pants made by a local seamstriss. The jacket is 10 oz cotton duck cloth & the pants are MARPAT.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I, too, would love to see them come back, Tex, but as I've said in the past, in a light weight cotton that is washable, and no where NEAR as heavy as the last iteration. Something the weight of the cotton drill, but without the requirement of having to be dry cleaned. These would make the perfect 'travel jacket' as they can be washed and dried like any OTHER outerwear, and yet are Indy jackets made by one of our manufacturers.

Another thing the cotton drill does (did?) is fade. It's amazing how much lighter colored my jacket has become, and isn't apparent until I turn up my collar and you see the difference of the color where the light doesn't hit the material. Yet another problem with the cotton drill material.

Anyway, all that said, I know there should be a few existing threads in the jacket section that we can link to this one for more references.

As Tex says, if you have 'em and have photos, please post 'em up! I'd really like to see this one make a return in a more usable model.....and affordable!

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Nice jacket, Charlie! Although, I can't see your lower torso... :-k

Maybe they can source a more durable and colorfast, but light weight material in the future? Brown in these jackets a pretty important, and it might be nice to see a little fading around the seams, but as you mentioned, not too much?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

U. S. Wings made a run at an Indy cotton version, but lost their way when they made it with a leather collar and in khaki rather than brown. It was a REAL nice jacket (I believe binkmeisterRick still has it) and very well made, and they got all the important points address. Those included strong seams, machine washable, etc., but refused to go that one extra iteration of color and collar, and that one died on the vine. They made their usual 100, sold them out, and that was the end of that. :(

The cotton was PERFECT!!!

Regardss! M
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Wow! Look how long ago all THIS took place!!! :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3886&hilit=cotton+Indy+jacket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

That's a neat stroll. Too bad there were no photos available. 8-[]
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Texan Scott wrote:Nice jacket, Charlie! Although, I can't see your lower torso... :-k
That took me a few secons to get. :rolling:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Here's one of the USW discussions when it happened:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3749&hilit=cotton+Indy+jacket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One more on the Wested. The first iteration had a cordoroy collar. After that, the collars were made the same as the rest of the jacket:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5784&hilit=cotton+Indy+jacket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nope. No photos, dang it. :?

Regards! M
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Ok, I put in 2 requests to both vendors, and if it is an offering that you might consider buying in the future, then I would ask, can you follow it up with an email to the vendor(s) expressing your interest? Maybe we can get the ball rolling, no pun intended. :P

I was thinking of 2 choices of material: one in lighter weight, durable material (that you do not have to iron) and one in a heavier weight denim, but both color matched to the (authentic/sea brown) leather jackets. You would be able to order these in standard sizes, ie 36-38-40, etc., #5 antique brass zip and D-rings, with only the option for sleeve length. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I've asked a few vendors about this type of jacket, with little luck.

Personally, I'm not interested in dark brown, because if I want to wear dark brown, I have several Indy jackets in leather. I'm more interested in a rain-treated fabric in khaki or light olive drab, maybe with a mesh liner. I'm thinking 'breathable'. But that's just me.

The leather collar doesn't interest me, but a snap-on removable corduroy collar might, for easy cleaning or to wear without it entirely.

Darker colors draw heat from the sun-which I don't want, especially in the car.

But I also already have the Wested versions, too.

The jacket cut of the original Wings looks fine, but the Legend pattern would be better, IMO. Maybe if we ask Sarge politely?

They've got that cotton 'Urban Adventurer' going now. I dunno. Maybe he'd consider another Indy. But I doubt it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I sent a question to David as well, but only mentioned basic needs rather than going into extreme details on 'wants'. He needs to show interest first, so let's keep our fingers crossed we hear something favorable. [-o<

Like I said, I honestly did not realize it had been 10 years since the last time this was done. #-o

Just to continue the discussion, Magnoli made me a VERY nice cloth version of the leather jacket worn by Redford in 'The Natural'. (Since given to another member. Got too snug to wear), so I don't know if this is something he'd even consider, but he also has the experience to create them from the leather patterns.

Regards! Michaelson
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Magnoli made at least one in coarse tan cotton canvas.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Do you know of any photos floating around of that jacket, IJ? I did a search of all the forums and came up with nothing here. :-k

Regards!Michaelson
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

No, M. Ok. Busted! It's mine! (The only one I know of, that is!) :lol:

I'm kinda tech challenged. I'll see if I can get somebody to help me out. I don't wanna post a pic that's too big or something.

It's a great jacket. I'd guess he'd still make one, its been a few years. I will want another one from him too, but I think most folks might be thinking of a production jacket at an OTR price point, as opposed to custom. But Tony's offerings are worth it, definitely. Quite a few folks here already know that!

I like the Indy style jacket, period. It kinda makes me a 'one trick pony' with regards to jackets, other than raincoats and my Perfecto. If I go fabric with this style, I like lighter colors. As I've said, mainly for cool days in the warmer months. Plus I can wear the hat without feeling like I'm in costume! Just me, though.

On a cool day on the motorcycle, I'm leather all the way. If I have to be in the car/cage on a rainy day, I like something breathable. That may not make sense to most here, I guess. Plus,I figure, it's fabric, so it's not like you're going for 'accuracy' anyway.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Illinois James wrote:No, M. Ok. Busted! It's mine! (The only one I know of, that is!) :lol:

I'm kinda tech challenged. I'll see if I can get somebody to help me out. I don't wanna post a pic that's too big or something.

It's a great jacket. I'd guess he'd still make one, its been a few years. I will want another one from him too, but I think most folks might be thinking of a production jacket at an OTR price point, as opposed to custom. But Tony's offerings are worth it, definitely. Quite a few folks here already know that!

I like the Indy style jacket, period. It kinda makes me a 'one trick pony' with regards to jackets, other than raincoats and my Perfecto. If I go fabric with this style, I like lighter colors. As I've said, mainly for cool days in the warmer months. Plus I can wear the hat without feeling like I'm in costume! Just me, though.

On a cool day on the motorcycle, I'm leather all the way. If I have to be in the car/cage on a rainy day, I like something breathable. That may not make sense to most here, I guess. Plus,I figure, it's fabric, so it's not like you're going for 'accuracy' anyway.
You can have pics hosted at imageshack.us for free. You just need to create an account.

Thanx!!!
Charlie
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

LOL! CAUGHT YOU!!!! :rolling: ;)

Ok, bad news folks.

We ALMOST got a prototype USW Legend sample made yesterday.

As a matter of fact, David even gave the word to his pattern maker to create a prototype for us to look at, and was preparing to ship his 2003 jacket for them to source material......but last night his shop person talked him out of it, convincing him it was not a good idea as they didn't sell enough of them last time. The problem last time was they were the wrong color and had a leather collar. No one WANTED them. I told him that when they presented the prototype, but he didn't want to change anything and the dead sales proved we were right.

So, it's a dead topic at USW's now, and we can thank their shop people for killing the project. :?

Still waiting on a reply from Peter, as he made them first, and he's the man who can do it again. LIke I said, I'm STILL wearing mine!

Regards! M
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Gee, thanks shop people! :twisted: Well, at least we got a far as the drawing board? What about von Peter? I wonder if we could but a bug in his ear? Time to build a fire, KT! :whip:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I've already dropped him a line, but if KT can talk to him face to face, it couldn't hurt to try.

Regards! M
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

OK Folks i am back
Got the message
BRING BACK THE COTTON RAIDERS!!
The question is do we want in lighweight cotton or the heavier denin type cotton.
or both
Cheers
Peter
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Here is my experience with a custom cotton jacket.

viewtopic.php?t=54595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

PETER wrote:OK Folks i am back
Got the message
BRING BACK THE COTTON RAIDERS!!
The question is do we want in lighweight cotton or the heavier denin type cotton.
or both
Cheers
Peter
My vote is light weight!!! and YAY!!!! WELCOME BACK PETER!!!!! :clap: \:D/

Both would be second choice, but light weight is definitely my vote. :TOH:

I've added a poll at the top for you to consider, Peter! Thank you again for looking at this after creating the original 10 years ago.

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I'd like to have choices if possible. I don't mind a heavier weight denim than the cotton drill. Color matched and little to no fade. On second thought, I believe the slider buckles are a better choice, non-slip.

Thank you, Peter! :TOH:
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I like the denim and the drill both. They're nice jackets, and a nice break from leather.

Even though I know we're likely talking nothing but more brown jackets here, lightweight would be my vote.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

My vote is for light weight. No sense (to me) in having a cloth jacket that is just as heavy/warm as a leather.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Indiana Jeff wrote:My vote is for light weight. No sense (to me) in having a cloth jacket that is just as heavy/warm as a leather.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

My thoughts exactly. Though there's no sense in having half a closet full of brown Indy jackets from various vendors, either. Doesn't stop me though!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Developments yet, anyone? :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well, seeing as Peter just became aware of this two days ago....

USW is definitely not doing one. That's a development.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Its true that there would not be a huge mark-up on a cloth jacket, because it's basically the same amount of labor for different material, but I am glad that Peter & Wested stepped up on this one, and I can't wait to see how the project progresses.
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

OK
Lightweight cotton washable in dark brown
On the case
Price to follow
Peter
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oysMt8iL9UE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 8)

According to Gemma, they are looking for the right supplier for the material. For guys like Gorak & Indy89, members in hot/humid climates, this might be an ideal jacket in these settings. I am getting one for a keepsake, as much as anything else.
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

Haven't been around this site for a while, but a new Wested cloth jacket offering intrigues me and I'll be checking back more frequently to monitor progress.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Any news yet, Peter?

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I spoke with him just before he went on vacation for a couple of weeks, and he said they were looking for a supplier of the material. I would assume it will be on hold until he returns?
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I would definitely be game for a lightweight cloth jacket. I cannot wear leather but only about 4 months out of the year and a cotton jacket will go a long way...I currently use a cloth A-2 that fits the bill but an Indy cloth would be awesome!

one option I would like to see offered though would be dark brown but also khaki as well...
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I, too would like to see some color options, like khaki and olive drab. Maybe if they're made to order, color options could be offered. But if they're more mass produced, OTR, colors probably aren't feasible, from a cost standpoint.
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

I would love to see the jacket made from brown Cotton Canvas. The Cotton
Canvase that Carhartt jackets are made from, only in a medium brown color.

Cotton Canvas is tough, wears like iron, but gets very soft with use. Alot like
leather. It also ages alot like leather, in the fact that it gets lighter highlights
on wear areas and seams just like leather. This would give it a real Indy look.

Also, an option for being able to get the sleeve length altered. My arms are
about an inch shorter than the average person, and off-the-shelf jackets
always have sleeves that are too long for me.

I have a Wested Lambskin Indy jacket, and because Peter alters the sleeves
to whatever length you need, I was able to get the sleeve length to be perfect
for me.

I would want to see that offered for this jacket as well if it was possible.

Flathead
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I'm having some jackets made, and this cotton jacket is a part of that order, so maybe this brainstorm will hit the assembly line soon? Most likely after Peter returns I would suspect.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

In my opinion, the problem with the canvas version proposed is it, too, would a jacket more in tune with colder weather.

I also love Carhart work jackets, and use them through Fall/Winter on outdoor tasks. This jacket, on the other hand, is supposed to fill the gap during the hotter time of the year, like late spring/summer/early fall.....that and be washable. The perfect jacket for those on travel who want a light jacket for evening wear or higher altitudes when traveling that can be easily tossed in a washing machine, dried and placed quickly back into service. A lighter weight cotton jacket would be easy to pack too. Canvas, regardless of weight, is pretty bulky when it comes to packing in a backpack or suitcase.

Peter tried to make a 'middle ground' jacket between the light weight cotton drill and a canvas jacket last time by offering the jacket in a heavy denim. It was a nice jacket, but WAY to heavy and warm to fill the bill of what was being proposed at the time. That same need has still not been filled by any of our vendors. I'm hoping Peter nails it THIS time.

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

That`s why you Da Man, Michealson! My thoughts exactly. We already went with a slightly heavier material...time to try the practical for what this jacket niche this thing is trying to fill!
Bravo! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Devil's advocate here. Does it have to be 100% cotton? I have a great Dickies work jacket that is very light for hot days, it's unlined. It's a poly-cotton twill that washes and wears and never wears out.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Hmm, a light weight poly-cotton blend could be a great option.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'd say it would depend on the material. :-k That's what they used last time, and anytime it was washed it got REALLY fuzzy. That's why dry cleaning was recommended. :?

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I voted for choices, but I would not mind seeing canvass (Carhart type) or denim. Something that might be a good cloth version of leather that would also need a little breaking in and would be durable. Cotton twill, possibly. Whatever he happens to select, I'm game! Last I heard from Peter, he was involved in a movie project.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, if he goes in the same direction with the heavier denim as LAST time, it will die on the vine...like last time. It's as heavy as a lambskin jacket, so why not just buy lambskin? Something lighter weight is required, and neither denim or canvas will fill that requirement.

Been there, done that, didn't want the teeshirt. =;

Regards! M
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Yep, the key is hardy light weight cloth. Something not much heavier than a shirt. Even an unlined denim jacket or unlined Carhartt 10oz cotton duck is heavy stuff. If you pick the right cotton/poly twill you never get the fuzz look and you can wash and wear.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

CM wrote:Yep, the key is hardy light weight cloth. Something not much heavier than a shirt. Even an unlined denim jacket or unlined Carhartt 10oz cotton duck is heavy stuff. If you pick the right cotton/poly twill you never get the fuzz look and you can wash and wear.
I agree. Like the old raincoat material, gabardine twill, like the old London Fog/Burberry trenches.

I'll beat the horse again: khaki and olive drab as well as brown as options for this jacket. A guy can dream! :D
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Was able to land a vintage, Wested cotton jacket. It looks to be denim. I really like it! :P Will post pics soon. By the way, did anyone see the vintage 80's Wested for sale on Ebay recently? Smooth.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Keen to see what happens! :CR:
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Well this the first quick photo just to get an idea
This is made from Lightweight waterproof microfibre which is breathable
and has no weight to it often used in golf wear.
A few adjustments to be made but the Raiders Ultralight weighs in at just over 1 pound at 580 gramImage
Is this of interest. Proper photos to come. Price approx. £60
Cheers
Peter