Aero Indy jacket?!?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indydawg

Aero Indy jacket?!?

Post by Indydawg »

Anybody have a line on what happened with the recent run of Indy jackets Ken was doing at Aero leather?
badnad73
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Re: Aero Indy jacket?!?

Post by badnad73 »

Hi

I very recently contacted Aero about the Indy jackets and was told they have discountinued them due to the fact that Wested told them to stop making them. They don't have the patterns anymore. It's a shame because I was going to order one. Wested is a great company and I've ordered a few jackets from them before but the problem I have with their jackets is that it is very difficult to use the handwarmers and the cargo pockets which has now become a deal breaker for me. But I am going to get an Aero jacket in a different style.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Don't know but Alexanders Leather (run by former Aero staff) in Scotland make an Indy version. Not very accurate but okay looking. I have an Alexanders half-belt and the quality is as good, if not better than my Aero.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Bill Kelso can make a horsehide Indy jacket, so we have other (some, like me, would say better ;) ) options!
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Maybe so, but I can't see spending Kelso prices for the quality that I've seen from Kelso's stuff...

800 bucks, if I had it, I could see spending on an Aero quality jacket...but, not a Kelso.

I can't see where Wested would've had the grounds to issue a C&D on that, either... :whip:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Hmmm, not sure what jackets you've seen Dawg, but Kelsos are top flight. They are extremely well done with attention to detail that is as good as any I've seen. I'm particularly impressed with the lengths they've gone to to match the original hide.

After seeing Gorak's distressing work, they are spot on. If you want a tougher, screen-inaccurate hide, they can oblige you there as well. One of the advantages of Kelsos are that, from the moment you open the box and slide it on, it's "right"... The weight, the drape, the color, the cut. You don't have to train it to look like Indy's jacket in Raiders; it already knows. If you're as brave as Gorak, it looks like you did a Marty McFly and swiped one right off the set.

That is what I've searched for for 30 years.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Tibor wrote:Hmmm, not sure what jackets you've seen Dawg, but Kelsos are top flight. They are extremely well done with attention to detail that is as good as any I've seen. I'm particularly impressed with the lengths they've gone to to match the original hide.

After seeing Gorak's distressing work, they are spot on. If you want a tougher, screen-inaccurate hide, they can oblige you there as well. One of the advantages of Kelsos are that, from the moment you open the box and slide it on, it's "right"... The weight, the drape, the color, the cut. You don't have to train it to look like Indy's jacket in Raiders; it already knows. If you're as brave as Gorak, it looks like you did a Marty McFly and swiped one right off the set.

That is what I've searched for for 30 years.
Clearly, I agree. I've sold every other Indy jacket I own (with the exception of my first Wested) to buy my Kelso in horsehide, and now I want more!! I used to think their striated lamb was expensive, but now I think it's worth it. They are the best in my book.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:-k

Well, to be fair, I have NOT seen the Kelso horsehide...but, the other leathers don't seem noticeably different from the same leathers from any other maker...and, in some cases, they seem slightly less quality. The construction is spot on, sure...but, so is what you'd get from a Schott made Wings or Gibson and Barnes jacket...and they aren't anywhere near the asking price on a Kelso.

I'm just saying for that amount of money, it's got to be something extra special for this old dawg...not something I could get the equivalent of somewhere else.

The only jackets I currently own that I feel that way about are my Nowak Surrogates and my Aero A-2 Bugs Bunny special. That Nowak Raiders of yours I almost got either the goat or the cowhide, Baldwyn...THOSE would have been worth the money to me...

But, I digress...It's good to see you guys happy with yours, that's for sure! I suppose I could be swayed...who wants to send me one to check out in person ;)

Lol...

This Blood's for You!
Indydrac
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I think everyone focuses on different aspects too. I am absolutely into the hide, and I haven't seen the equal to the striated lamb Kelso uses. That said, I personally think they're on at least their third distinct batch, each with its own slight variations.

All things considered, I absolutely "get" other jackets. For instance, if you want some measure of weather- resistance, the G&B goat is unmatched.

For me, it's always been about the Raiders jacket... Not TOD, not LC or CS. I wanted just the right amount of texture, color, and drape. Some other leathers are really close, but each has an issue for me. I have a great Wested (kind of a hybrid cross between a hero and a ROLA), still have my Nowak goat, and love each, but they aren't what's on screen. The Kelso is. :TOH:

Gotta say, this Alexander looks like a great jacket in horsehide- just not particularly Raiders-eee. I wonder what their goatskin is like (and if they would soften the pocket flap sculpting a bit) :-k
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Not having seen one in person, but judging by photos posted here, I'd say that Kelso is the only company that has absolutely nailed the leather. Kelso's striated lamb seems to be a perfect match to what is on screen, in color and texture. Nowak's striated lamb was over the top in its texture.

The only tiny nit-picky things I don't like about the Kelso jackets are the strap buckles. Too wide. Black. I'd prefer something a little smaller in antique brass. Similar to what Nowak or Wested uses in the Hero jacket.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Not having seen one in person, but judging by photos posted here, I'd say that Kelso is the only company that has absolutely nailed the leather. Kelso's striated lamb seems to be a perfect match to what is on screen, in color and texture. Nowak's striated lamb was over the top in its texture.

The only tiny nit-picky things I don't like about the Kelso jackets are the strap buckles. Too wide. Black. I'd prefer something a little smaller in antique brass. Similar to what Nowak or Wested uses in the Hero jacket.
Yes! I absolutely agree. It's the slightest thing but noticeable. Good insight!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Tibor wrote:I think everyone focuses on different aspects too. I am absolutely into the hide, and I haven't seen the equal to the striated lamb Kelso uses. That said, I personally think they're on at least their third distinct batch, each with its own slight variations.

All things considered, I absolutely "get" other jackets. For instance, if you want some measure of weather- resistance, the G&B goat is unmatched.

For me, it's always been about the Raiders jacket... Not TOD, not LC or CS. I wanted just the right amount of texture, color, and drape. Some other leathers are really close, but each has an issue for me. I have a great Wested (kind of a hybrid cross between a hero and a ROLA), still have my Nowak goat, and love each, but they aren't what's on screen. The Kelso is. :TOH:

Gotta say, this Alexander looks like a great jacket in horsehide- just not particularly Raiders-eee. I wonder what their goatskin is like (and if they would soften the pocket flap sculpting a bit) :-k
The Alexander goat is even thicker than the G&B goat - maybe 3oz. It's a lovely hide but very tough and hard to shape. Maybe with water....
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

:shock: 3 oz! That is really tough stuff.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

Well, to be fair, I have NOT seen the Kelso horsehide...but, the other leathers don't seem noticeably different from the same leathers from any other maker...and, in some cases, they seem slightly less quality. The construction is spot on, sure...but, so is what you'd get from a Schott made Wings or Gibson and Barnes jacket...and they aren't anywhere near the asking price on a Kelso.

I'm just saying for that amount of money, it's got to be something extra special for this old dawg...not something I could get the equivalent of somewhere else.

The only jackets I currently own that I feel that way about are my Nowak Surrogates and my Aero A-2 Bugs Bunny special. That Nowak Raiders of yours I almost got either the goat or the cowhide, Baldwyn...THOSE would have been worth the money to me...

But, I digress...It's good to see you guys happy with yours, that's for sure! I suppose I could be swayed...who wants to send me one to check out in person ;)

Lol...

This Blood's for You!
Indydrac
To set the record straight, at BK we use full grain leathers, vegetable tanned and aniline dyed. That is the highest quality possible and most expensive there is. Aero and all other brands use top grain (second quality leathers of which the surface has been sanded etc) chrome tanned (second quality) leathers. Our leathers cost us at least 3 times more that theirs and yet we still manage to sell cheaper than them.

These are the hard facts about the leathers. The undeniable and only truth.
If you like we can send you some samples of our leathers to see for yourself. Nobody can beat our leather quality. Absolutely nobody. Guaranteed.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

alalzon, Please be reminded of the following.
Note to vendors....it is not allowed (nor professional) for vendors to 'attack' other vendors in any section of the site. Please keep your discussions/posts to your own product and let your customers do the comparisons, pro and con.
Your information about other vendors' leather quality is inaccurate so best to not comment on what other vendors use or don't use. My best suggestion to you is to focus on touting your product and allow them to tout theirs.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

I always have supporting evidence to everything I say, so if you think that my information is inaccurate and also have some evidence to the contrary, then let's present our evidence and see how it compares, for the sake of sharing the correct information.

Also, I don't think that speaking about the quality each vendor uses qualifies as an "attack". Vendors do not try to hide or disguise the quality of their leathers, it's in the open. So why can't we talk about it?

If you do, then you are the boss, and I will comply.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Hmmm, even if you're right about Aero using second best leather - it wears so well and ages so beautifully over so many years, I don't need anything better. My problem with Aero is that the leather is usually too heavy and I don't much care for their patterns. Except for the 1930's half-belt I just can't get behind any other designs.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I think Aero has fallen into the trap of playing to that certain part of the target market that thinks that thicker is better and has erred on that side.

Whether it is historically accurate or not.

Calder took note of Peter's request and removed the jacket from offer. Will tried to resurrect it briefly before he left Aero and then took it with him to Alexander when he splintered off taking some staff with him. There is an interesting thread on TFL about some issues about some questionable leather types supplied by Will when he was manager at Aero.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Whereas BK may not have been directly attacking Aero or other vendors, you made a sweeping statement about "all other brands" that is not true.

Gibson & Barnes currently uses vegetable tanned leathers in some of their jacket offerings and has used full grain, vegetable tanned and aniline dyed leather in their Expedition jacket in the past, I know because I own one.

Be reminded of the second part of the Note to Vendors:
Please keep your discussions/posts to your own product and let your customers do the comparisons, pro and con.
As you say, other vendors' leather qualities, tanning and dying processes are readily available for members to find for their own information and comparisons.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

They say "The proof is in the pudding." Now, I've no idea what that means...except that I'd have to eat my meat before I even got a chance to find out...(baaadumpbum).

But, I'll bite...send me a PM and I'll shoot you a physical address where you can send me samples of all your leathers....

If possible, though, when Aero and G&B have sent samples, they've been paperback book size samples, so I could really get a sense of the leather.

And Jeff's right about G&B...because the jacket he owns used to be mine. ;)

Drac