Indy's First First Hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indy's First First Hat

Post by Indiana Jeff »

OK, I did start this thread with what I called Indy's First Hat viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55544&hilit=campaign;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but of course, before he was a Boy Scout, Indy was a young boy traveling the world with his academic father.

When he wasn't sporting a pith helmet, he spent time in a newsboy cap.

Inspired by Bink and Chewbacca Jones I placed an order with the Hat People http://www.hatpeople.com/tourshop/catalogue/cat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They were super easy to work with and the hat is top notch.

I went with the extra-full cut. When I called to place my order the woman I spoke with cautioned me against the extra-full. She said the extra-full is their most popular size ordered online, but the full is the most popular ordered in person. She said people are generally suprised/disappointed when they receive the extra-full because it it 'bigger' than what they expected. I wanted the hat to be a bit floppy around my ears when it broke in so stuck with that cut. Couldn't be happier. I wore it with my wool winter coat when the temps dipped, but it looked just as great with a black leather jacket when the weather allowed for it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Indy's First First Hat

Post by Tennessee Smith »

:clap:

Nice looking lid there Jeff!!!

I gotta say you pulled off the look well. I'm amazed that this hat has really been mentioned before. There's always something new isn't there? :lol:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

That newsboy looks great!

The folks from Hat People are fantastic shop! Last year my wife got me a herringbone in green/brown/black in the deep cut and it's my alternate hat for the wintertime. Love it.

Enjoy that hat!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I got one for Christmas too, custom made by B!WearHats of California. Love it! :M: :tup:

http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks, gents. It was nice to have an alternative to a fedora. I stayed plenty warm and when the wind got to blowing I used my Ear Pops same as I would with a fed.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I once had a 1932 travel journal (that has since disappeared into my eldest daughters library :lol: ) that had a list of suggested items that men/women should pack for a voyage at sea (which was the ONLY way to travel to Europe and related locations at the time).

Suggested (HIGHLY suggested, by the way) men's head gear was a newsboy styled panel cap, stating men should put their fedoras and hombergs in their shipping boxes and leave them there until they docked, as the winds on deck would blow them away. Caps would not, and were perfect for deck wear, no matter what the occasion.

Oh, and to not forget two walking sticks......one for evening wear, and one for daily carry.

Great little book. How'd she talk me out of that thing. :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Can't recall exactly, but there's an online retailer that calls that a "Handsome Thug" cap...

:anxious: Just saying...

Michaelson, when you're wrapped around a daughter's pinkie :whip: they can talk you into anything!

LJT
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:Michaelson, when you're wrapped around a daughter's pinkie :whip: they can talk you into anything!

LJT
Am not. [-(

Well.....maybe a little.... :[

;)

Regards! M
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:Can't recall exactly, but there's an online retailer that calls that a "Handsome Thug" cap...

:anxious: Just saying...

Michaelson, when you're wrapped around a daughter's pinkie :whip: they can talk you into anything!

LJT
J. Peterman! Saw that one too. W>
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Thanks for posting this, Jeff :TOH: This is exactly the hat I have been looking for as an alternative to my fedoras this winter. I love that these 'hatpeople' are a local, smaller business too. I ordered exactly as you did...the extra full, brown/green/black herringbone. Yours looks superb! :TOH:
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Michaelson wrote:I once had a 1932 travel journal (that has since disappeared into my eldest daughters library :lol: )

SHOCK ;)
Michaelson wrote:Oh, and to not forget two walking sticks......one for evening wear, and one for daily carry.
Three, in case you drop one in a river whilst spelunking. ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks again for the compliments. :TOH:

Michaelson wrote:Suggested (HIGHLY suggested, by the way) men's head gear was a newsboy styled panel cap, stating men should put their fedoras and homburgs in their shipping boxes and leave them there until they docked, as the winds on deck would blow them away. Caps would not, and were perfect for deck wear, no matter what the occasion.

Regards! Michaelson
Now I know what to pack for my next ocean cruise!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Oh great, now i have something else to buy!
And with the 6 degree temps up here, it may be as good a time as any.

Great looking hat!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

There's always something else!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Thanks for these posts! I liked your hat so much, that I just ordered one (Heather Grey) also extra full! Nice site! Cool hats! These truly look like the real deal. I have been quite dissapointed with some of the other commercial offerings that are out there, but these really look 'spot on' and truly vintage in nature! Your's is spectacular! W>
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

To add to my previous post...while I eagerly await the arrival of my new cap from Hat People...this is pretty much the way I have been keeping warm the past few weeks when the old temp drops down (this photo was taken about 9 years ago and posted as a courtesy to the maker of the inverness cape, by his request):

http://www.invernesscapes.com/harris.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was an interesting project, because I had Mr. Anthony send the right amount of matching material to Hanna Hats in Ireland to make the cap (which I received about two weeks ahead of the cape)! Since that time, he has apparantly made arrangements with Hanna to do hats for him, directly. W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Some cool stuff on that site, but I don't think I could pull off the invernesscape look myself.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Indiana Jeff: I cannot thank you enough for starting this thread and turning me onto Hat People! Received my heather grey -- extra full cut cap today and could not be happier! What a beautiful peace of work! Truly looks and feels period and 'lived-in' from word go :tup: ! Thanks buddy :notworthy: ! I owe you one! W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

They are great hats, I'm glad you like yours.

The thanks really has to go to Bink and Chewie, they were the guys that turned me onto The Hat People.

But, if you really feel like like you owe me one, I can forward a 'wish list' for your convenience. ;)

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, like I said above, don't overlook B!Wear Hats. They've been custom making them one at a time since 1971, and theirs only cost $35!

Wearing mine today because we have some storms with wind coming in this evening. I don't feel like chasing a fedora across the parking lot!

Regards! Michaelson
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thought I'd chime in with more praise for the Hat People :TOH: I received my extra full cut newboy last week and could not be happier with it. It's the brown/green/black herringbone version. One selling point for me for the Hat People, as opposed to B!Wear, was that the bill does not contain cardboard or have a snap on it. It has a slightly thick layer of cloth and is easily folded, scrunched, and stuffed into a pocket if needed. The hat is perfectly floppy and not 'poofy' at all...and since I ordered the extra full, I was concerned about looking like a mushroom :D

Thanks to Jeff, Chewie & Bink!! It's just the cap I've been on the hunt for :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Interesting. Well, different strokes and all that, as that bill would be a deal breaker for me. The brim on the B!Wear is not cardboard, but a very thin, pliable plastic with a wire sewn into the brim for personalization. I WANT that as I wear glasses and it gives them better protection from rain. Where the bulk of extra material on that cap would be required to do the same thing, the brim on mine takes care of that issue....and the original 6 panel newsboys HAD the snap, so it's original to the design. Mine also rolls up fine for shoving into my pocket. :-k

Personally I prefer original designs, and I like saving money on my purchases when I can (in this case $13 to be exact), especially when the quality is equal in comparison to another company making a like product. ;)

Of course this is all JUST my opinion and my decision making process in purchasing the cap I wanted, and offered for comparison, as I'm sure this thread was not started as a selling vehicle for any particular cap company, but to simply offer an alternative cap to wear that is directly related to our hobby. That's our mission here......product comparisons.

Jeff, if it was you intent to make this a 'Hat People' thread alone, please accept my apology, and I'll delete all my remarks regarding the other company, but I also recommend you adding 'Hat People' to your subject line so others don't make the same mistake I did.

Either cap one decides to go with, you're getting a nice, handmade cap that will serve for many years. :TOH: ;)

Regard! Michaelson
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Agreed on all points, Michaelson :TOH: One thing I've learned from COW over the years, is to do extensive research before settling on one particular piece of gear. Outside of actually receiving a new purchase, the research is the fun part for me :lol: I did extensive digging over at The Fedora Lounge which led to my Hat People decision. I was looking for an oversized, floppy, 8 panel cap that distinguished itself from all the other flatcaps that seem to be popular these days. I was actually inspired by Redford in 'The Sting' recently when I rewatched that movie :) That said, I have read nothing but good things about B!Wear caps and they were the only other contender in the running for me, but the snap on the bill was the deal breaker :o I also like that both companies are small, owner operated businesses. As is the case with a lot of 'Indy gear' these days, we are blessed with an assortment of solid choices and the hat or jacket or whatever we seek is out there somewhere :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That snap on brim being a deal breaker is interesting to me. That's the second time this has been mentioned. Why, when it was on the original caps? I know, as I used to have one in my collection with a date of 1931 that I traded off many years ago. The B!Wear cap I currently own is a duplicate of that original cap. I'm not understanding that point. :-k

Just curious. :TOH:

Regards! M
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My intention was not to get a copy of an 'original' hat. I personally don't care either way that the snaps were original on these caps or not, I just had my laundry list of things that I was looking for :TOH: . I have had a flatcap or two in the past with snaps, and decided that feature just was something I wanted to avoid this time if possible. Kind of like looking for a Perfecto jacket minus the epaulets ala 'Terminator 2'. I know, I know, that jacket wasn't a perfecto per se, but it is based on that design. In some cases, I strive for period authenticity in gear. Other times, I prefer to seek out a design with certain tweaks on the classic design. This just happend to be the case here, Michaelson :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I can follow the logic! Thanks! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Michaelson wrote:
Jeff, if it was you intent to make this a 'Hat People' thread alone, please accept my apology, and I'll delete all my remarks regarding the other company, but I also recommend you adding 'Hat People' to your subject line so others don't make the same mistake I did.

Regard! Michaelson

Nope, not at all. I had not heard of B!Wear caps so that's helpful information for all. In fact, I welcome all the comparisons and discussion. You know: size, fit, materials, price point, original patterns/designs, snaps or no snaps; that's what we talk about around here. Wait, are we in the jacket section? :lol:

A factor I really like with The Hat People is I was able to order by my exact head measurement of 23" rather than by SML/Hat size that's listed on the B!Wear caps site.

I did not know the original designs all came with snaps. I've always associated snap brims with the smaller style 'driving caps' and not the bigger newsboys. I like not having the snap as it gives me some play with how I adjust the cap. I can push more of the hat to the front or back (or side when I'm feeling jaunty) as I'd like.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Indiana Jeff wrote:
Michaelson wrote:

Regard! Michaelson

Nope, not at all. I had not heard of B!Wear caps so that's helpful information for all. In fact, I welcome all the comparisons and discussion. You know: size, fit, materials, price point, original patterns/designs, snaps or no snaps; that's what we talk about around here. Wait, are we in the jacket section? :lol:

A factor I really like with The Hat People is I was able to order by my exact head measurement of 23" rather than by SML/Hat size that's listed on the B!Wear caps site.

I did not know the original designs all came with snaps. I've always associated snap brims with the smaller style 'driving caps' and not the bigger newsboys. I like not having the snap as it gives me some play with how I adjust the cap. I can push more of the hat to the front or back (or side when I'm feeling jaunty) as I'd like.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I'm will you Jeff. I loved the comparrisons. I didn't know about either site, until this thread started and have gained a great deal more knowledge regarding these styles of hats/caps! I have been loving ever minute of it. By the way, regarding my new purchase -- it is breaking in like a dream. All good stuff here, but that's pretty much the par on this board! W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

You know the downside about learning about all these great vendors? My 'wish list' is ever growing! :BD:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff