Most SA Raiders style Pants ???

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Most SA Raiders style Pants ???

Post by micsteam »

I'm throwing this out there for any and all help/opinions. I have posted before about which shirt I should get and I'm going to try out Magnoli Clothiers, they also have some non-Indy items that I'm interested in. But before I place orders and such I really want an SA pair of Raiders "pinks" trousers. What and whom do you guys think is best (and yes I still wish Noel Howard was around, yes I keep checking Ebay to no avail) ??
Nightgoat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Most SA Raiders style Pants ???

Post by Nightgoat »

I'd say Todd's Costumes has the most SA Raiders pants by far. They're also really comfortable and I even wear them to work and have gotten compliments at the office. :)
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I'd heard that too about Todd's. Do they have to be hemmed to the correct leg length ??
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

You have to have the alterations done yourself. The Todd pants are outstanding. I wear them everyday and they're great.

Gailen
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Mine fit perfectly and didn't need to be hemmed. I gave him my measurements off the tape and added an inch in the waist for comfort.

:TOH:
Abiding,
-The Dude
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

The Dude wrote:Mine fit perfectly and didn't need to be hemmed. I gave him my measurements off the tape and added an inch in the waist for comfort.

Abiding,
-The Dude
You must have long legs! Mine came in 34 inch length.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol:

I guess so, I could have had an off batch?

You might consider having your legs stretched. :lol:
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

They weren't offering that when I got mine.

Gailen
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

FYI, mine had the military hem and were received back in August.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I just went on Todds and looked. I guess if you are a typical size, say a 36, they come in a 31 length. But say your a 40, then they come in 34 length. So if your a 40 and wear a 31 inch length you are going to have them altered.

Am I missing some secret instruction for having them alter the pants?

Gailen
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the issue is that they are running low on stock and keep removing sizes from the site once their stock is depleted.
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago asking when they are getting a resupply of pants and they said it would be several months.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Mine were finished, but a touch too long (about an inch), so I took them to a tailor here, explained what I wanted (a touch more angle than they'd come with on the military hem) and they made them perfect...

They're now the most well fitted and comfortable pair of trousers I own...Which says enough I think...Lovely stuff...Even if the initial size was off a touch..

Aim for the waist size to be right...The length of the leg can be adjusted if it's too long, so get the waist right, and long length and you'll be set either way... :TOH:
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

No doubt, the Todd's pants are great. I found that the inseam was a bit long. I'm not a tall guy (5'8") and usually take a 30" inseam. Since the Tod's pants are a sort of nineteen thirties cut, they have, shall we say, more room in the crotch than us 2012 ers are use to. So when you measure from a 'hanging low' crotch, my usual 30" inseam was a bit long. I just hemmed them myself, 'cause, come on, that's what Indy would have done.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I have the Wested's and although not correct SA for Raiders.... nice pants very comfortable. I'm looking forward to getting the Todd's. Are they consistent ?? Comfortable ??
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

Question about Wested pants....Do you order your true waist size like you do with Todd's or the 'vanity' waist sizing most companies use for pants?
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Definately go with your true size when ordering the Wested pants, Adirondack :TOH:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I know everyone like's Todd's, but I got some from Magnoli and they really nice, you may have to pay quite a bit for them, but they really look and feel SA, plus you can make requests to your liking. I'm sure Todd's are great as well, I have seen them and they look great as well, just my two cents I guess.

IndianaChris
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

I second that for Magnoli's pants. I loved them since the first time i put them on. It's so nice to have a piece of clothing fit you perfectly. However, the fabric on Todd's is quite a bit softer to the touch and has a certain smoothness to it. With the Magnoli's, you can definitely feel that they are wool.

jlhampton
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

check here
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=59429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Are you going to sell these or should I frame the pictures?

Gailen
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

We are considering the possibility to start making the pants in house. This will solve many of the problems which have delayed the production.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Honestly speaking, I suspect the real issue will be whether the pants can be made at a price that competes with the best out there right now...I'd give that honour to Todds, and the pants he sells come in at about 90 dollars...So the Kelso pants would need to be close to that to "compete"..Of course, they may be stunning quality, and have the waistband belt holders better sized....But honestly, Todds are already stunning quality..And the belt isn't a major issue..So the Kelso pants would need to compete closely to that price....

If that can be done, indeed..I'm all interested..But it'll be the big issue that decides if these will sell enough to bother making I suspect....

Todd set the bar rather high..
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Afalzon mentioned Noel Howard pricing - http://indylounge.proboards.com/index.c ... thread=499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, so I bet they will not be cheap :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

tomek9210 wrote:Afalzon mentioned Noel Howard pricing - http://indylounge.proboards.com/index.c ... thread=499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, so I bet they will not be cheap :TOH:
Yeah...I'd read that...It was that that got me thinking about it...

Sadly, Todds are decent enough quality that competing against them at a price more than 2X that of Todds might not make the wisest commercial sense...

I'm interested if they can work out a decent price range..But the Todds are the challenge price, and it's hard to see how that could be beaten...

But then, what do I know? I'm sure someone will buy them... :-k
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

good fabric in UK costs like GBP 85 per meter,
so it's impossible to be near Todd's
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Yes....I understand entirely.....

Although that does present a rather big issue...Since Todds are available at the price and quality they are...

I'm sure it's something that the company realised...But it'll be hard to compete coming in with a higher priced, similar quality item..That's all..

Just thinking aloud...
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Just thought I'd post an update on another pair of pants That I recently ordered. I got a pair of Wested's just to see, ya know. With the previous advice to order actual waist size, I did just that and much to my surprise they arrived about four inches too big. I probably should have contacted them prior to ordering, but I took the chance so that's that. My mistake. I'm having a tailor take them in and do the military hem. They must run a bit large, now. I must say that other than the sizing error and the belt loop placement, the other details are very good. I like the color and the fabric is what I remember of Todd's pants. Most importantly the fit is great. Even though they were too big, the rise was not an issue at all. The pant legs have no taper what so ever and the pockets are nicely shaped so going by much earlier comments on design, I am led to believe that there is a possibility the design could have changed because I'm not experiencing the same issues(taper) that others have. Over all, I'm rather pleased. The alterations were to be expected so taking in the waist will probably not lead to much greater additional cost. If so, it would probably be cheaper than sending them back for the correct size. By the way, my actual waist is at 39" and usually wear 36's in all of my 'American' clothing. When I ordered Todd's last year, I asked for 39's. They fit perfect. With Wested, I ordered a 40 and they were exactly four inches too big so I don't know what is up with the current U.K. sizing.

jlhampton
4505marcel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by 4505marcel »

Ive just got the Todds pants and are super happy with them. They have several waist sizes and leg lengths so you can get them a perfect fit. Take a look at the thread i just started above to see the fit, great trousers :whip: