New ribbon: What am I doing wrong?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

New ribbon: What am I doing wrong?

Post by Oildale Jones »

Before I begin, I'll take a guess: I'm using the wrong ribbon.

OK, so I want to put a new ribbon on a couple of fedoras I have (one vintage, one new straw). I bought polyester grosgrain ribbon from the fabric store; the problem is that the fedoras taper slightly so there's a gap between the top of the ribbon and the body of the fedora. What's the solution—to use a natural fabric ribbon that will shrink? Or can I shrink the poly ribbon a little?

Thanks.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: New ribbon: What am I doing wrong?

Post by BendingOak »

You will never shrink polyester ribbon. I'm going to say this the best I can without sounding like a snob but quality is my key word. Rayon would be your best bet and the rayon cotton. Make sure it's truly grosgrain because people get that mixed up with petersham which isn't a hat ribbon and shouldn't be on a hat. The way to tell grosgrain is that it has a edge to the ribbon. You will need to shrink the ribbon. Cotton will shrink more then the blend and rayon may stretch when wet but shrink up a little when dry.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Guy makes some of the best hats in the world and he thinks he can talk to me like that? What a snob. :roll:

Thanks, John. I will get some quality ribbon. :TOH:
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

You might consider adding a curve or "arch" to the ribbon with an iron.

This link shows the idea for an interior hat band, but the same principle works for the outer ribbon.

http://www.hatsupply.com/pdf/tutorials/ ... zeBand.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

The sheer nature of ployester won't allow it to be swirled. The biggest problem with this sport of ours is finding
decent quality ribbon. 100% rayon is nice, rayon cotton blend is next best thing.

Locally, see if you have any wedding supply stores. They sometimes have assorted ribbons that might work.
Hatsupply.com come has some, but I found that their dark brown (chocolate) wasn't quite dark enough.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Don't use an iron directly on the ribbon. Anything you find in a store will most likely shrink too much. Meaning if you have any of the stuff you would find in stores like 1 1/2 ribbon and you will iron it to shrink the top part but will find out that the the once 1 1/2 inch ribbon isn't 1 1/2 inches.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

BendingOak wrote:... you will iron it to shrink the top part but will find out that the the once 1 1/2 inch ribbon isn't 1 1/2 inches.
Hey! My ribbon is tapered!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

BendingOak wrote:Don't use an iron directly on the ribbon. Anything you find in a store will most likely shrink too much. Meaning if you have any of the stuff you would find in stores like 1 1/2 ribbon and you will iron it to shrink the top part but will find out that the the once 1 1/2 inch ribbon isn't 1 1/2 inches.
John: When you say don't iron directly, then does this mean that one should iron between a cloth, or something to absorb most of the heat? Or, is there something I am missing here? Thanks. W>
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Dalexs wrote:
BendingOak wrote:... you will iron it to shrink the top part but will find out that the the once 1 1/2 inch ribbon isn't 1 1/2 inches.
Hey! My ribbon is tapered!

Never said you can't tapper it. I said you can with some ribbon will loose size. You will start with let's say 1 1/2 inches and end up with it shrinking down to under a 1 1/2 inches.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

WConly wrote:
BendingOak wrote:Don't use an iron directly on the ribbon. Anything you find in a store will most likely shrink too much. Meaning if you have any of the stuff you would find in stores like 1 1/2 ribbon and you will iron it to shrink the top part but will find out that the the once 1 1/2 inch ribbon isn't 1 1/2 inches.
John: When you say don't iron directly, then does this mean that one should iron between a cloth, or something to absorb most of the heat? Or, is there something I am missing here? Thanks. W>

Yes, lay the ribbon down flat. Place a white cloth over it, wet lightly. Then iron.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

If you don't have a very steep taper to the hat, you can avoid the iron completely. I have gotten good results by installing the ribbon onto the hat, then wetting the entire ribbon evenly with room-temp distilled water. Sometimes I let it dry in the sun for about 10 minutes. By the next day it looks great. Not as good as, say, a Penman. But if ironing this stuff makes you nervous, it's a decent alternative.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

There is an even better way that I have found but not really sharing that one but chewie one is good for those type of ribbon that shrinks real easy.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Sharpies don't count. :TOH:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

BendingOak wrote:There is an even better way that I have found but not really sharing that...
Well, I already know the staple and blow-torch method, so that's not it. :-k
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

No and no.
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

hocfutue wrote:You might consider adding a curve or "arch" to the ribbon with an iron.

This link shows the idea for an interior hat band, but the same principle works for the outer ribbon.

http://www.hatsupply.com/pdf/tutorials/ ... zeBand.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This, but direct ironing isn't really needed.
Really, you can just wet it down with water from a spray bottle, lay it on a flat surface, and give it the curve you need by hand.

It doesn't need much, but just a little bit of manipulation in this way will give the curve needed to make all the lines in the ribbon point "up" toward the top of the hat and will give you a more snug fit.

And, as BendingOak said, always go for true Rayon when you can. Polyester will not only melt/look worse when you hit it with an iron, but has an unnatural, super glossy sheen to it.

Best of luck!

Edit: Just noticed Chewie beat me to it. YUP.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Pure rayon will not shrink with just water. You will need to iron. In fact it will expand. If it shrinks with just water it is at the very least a blend.
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

BendingOak wrote:Pure rayon will not shrink with just water. You will need to iron. In fact it will expand. If it shrinks with just water it is at the very least a blend.
Very true. But whether it shrinks or not, just giving it the curl has (in my experience) given it the snug fit around the crown.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

AnubisScales wrote:
BendingOak wrote:Pure rayon will not shrink with just water. You will need to iron. In fact it will expand. If it shrinks with just water it is at the very least a blend.
Very true. But whether it shrinks or not, just giving it the curl has (in my experience) given it the snug fit around the crown.

To get the curl you speak of, you must shrink the top part of the ribbon.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Thanks for the info. I'll get some good ribbon and go from there, even though at this point I'd rather just hand all my hats over to a milliner and have it done right. But I'd like to keep the cost down and also gain that sense of satisfaction from doing it myself. (Which, IMO, is overrated.) :roll:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Milliners make woman hats. Hatters or hat makers make men's fedoras. Just an FYI. :TOH:
Last edited by BendingOak on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

And Baby makes three? Point taken.