Christies "Swerford"

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Christies "Swerford"

Post by whiskyman »

I don't recall ever seeing any pics of this hat so I'll put up a few of mine, which I received this evening. Not the best quality or SA Indy hat around, but a nice hat for the price. I'm quite happy with this one - reminds me of my old HJs from years back (and which cost a considerable ammount more). Very nice rich colour and a better crown height (slightly lower) than the Christies Adventurer- I'll take some better outdoor shots tomorrow. Obviously would lend itself more for a LC or TOD bash - but I couldn't help giving it a bit of a Raiders look. I've had a great many hats, including a vintage Raiders era HJ and several ABs - and this one is of course this isnt on that level. But it is still a nice hat - more suited to my head than my old Henry. Probably won't be wearing it in the rain. Or maybe I might.. it's not expensive to replace.

I used to be obsessed with the Raiders hat - now I'm not so bothered. I used to wear a hat everyday and everywhere. Not so anymore - but I do like to at least have a brown fedora, especially for when I travel to new places. As such I think this fits the bill nicely.

Last edited by whiskyman on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The0w3n5
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Christies "Swerford"

Post by The0w3n5 »

Looks good, the "swerford" is considered to be the right dimensions of the original hat.

I myself have the adventurer and for the price, love it. (as well as being british and therefore helping promote british products :D ).

I have never thought of "upgrading" to a true SA hat because, for me the christy's does it perfectly.

I like the bash you have there and it fits you well, a bit of steam when you get your final bash will secure it I find.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Yeah the British thing is nice too (also a Brit :TOH: )!
Personally I favour a little cold water rather than steam - but I don't think I'll need either on this hat. It holds the bash pretty well anyway.

A word on the sizing... Back when I used to wear HJs, I tended to get size 58 as I am between sizes and the 59 always seemed to be too big. The Henry was a 59 and also fit a bit too loose. As such, and as i now wear my hair much shorter than I ever used to, I ordered the Swerford in size 58. Couldn't even nearly get it on my head!! I returned it for the 59, which fits fine - but would be snug if I didn't have such short hair!

I'll get some outdoor pics done today and maybe I still have a pic of me wearing one of my old HJs, just to show the difference in proportions.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

whiskyman wrote:Yeah the British thing is nice too (also a Brit :TOH: )!
Personally I favour a little cold water rather than steam - but I don't think I'll need either on this hat. It holds the bash pretty well anyway.

A word on the sizing... Back when I used to wear HJs, I tended to get size 58 as I am between sizes and the 59 always seemed to be too big. The Henry was a 59 and also fit a bit too loose. As such, and as i now wear my hair much shorter than I ever used to, I ordered the Swerford in size 58. Couldn't even nearly get it on my head!! I returned it for the 59, which fits fine - but would be snug if I didn't have such short hair!

I'll get some outdoor pics done today and maybe I still have a pic of me wearing one of my old HJs, just to show the difference in proportions.
hey whiskyman

at last a few good shots and an educated review of that lid !

had an adventurer myself a little while ago but wasn't quite convinced by the height of the crown, and i failed to get the proper swoop in the brim to make it a decent Indiana hat. But i really like the touch of the felt on that Adventurer. The sweatband not so much, tho...
Are there any noticeable differences between adventurers and and swerfords, buildwise, or is the swerford a simply redimensioned Adventurer ?

yours really becomes you, at any rate !
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

I have to agree that the hat looks very good on you, and that it does indeed appear to my eye to have correct dimensions. I have spent lots of money on lots of hats to get just that look, and while many have come close, IMO yours looks just right!!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I see in the making a great Raiders fedora, here. Nicely formed! ;)
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Looks GREAT! Great dimensions and pretty spot on for a low cost production hat! :clap:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Thanks folks!
It is exactly the same as the Adventurer, just with slightly different dimensions. I really like it and how it came out, but it definitely isn't perfect for a Raiders bash - it gets a close sort of look, but if you're obsessive, it won't tick all your boxes. As I said though, I've been through that stage - had some very accurate block shapes and am now not so fussed.
Most of all I like the colour. I don't remember my HJs having such a rich colour (except the vintage one). The colour is the reason I wasn't happy with the Akubras, although they are great hats.
Here's a link to a pic of my old vintage HJ - not so very different in colour actually..
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/p ... italy5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

The hat looks great. I've been hoping to see some pics and your write-up helps too. The Henry just didn't sit well enough on my head either, so I've been thinking about getting one of these. Since I have a Fed IV that does just fine in the torrential rain we get sometimes, I'm ok having the cheaper hat that fits me better to wear on nicer days.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

APL wrote:The hat looks great. I've been hoping to see some pics and your write-up helps too. The Henry just didn't sit well enough on my head either, so I've been thinking about getting one of these. Since I have a Fed IV that does just fine in the torrential rain we get sometimes, I'm ok having the cheaper hat that fits me better to wear on nicer days.
WOW dont think ive ever heard anyone complain about the Henry?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I think he was complaining about his head? ;)

If he'd said "the bow stunk", or "the quality was bad", then yeah....Henry being complained about right there....But he said it just sat badly on his head...And since we all have heads shaped differently, I'd suspect that (while he's not "complaining" at all) it's about his own head shape..Not the hat itself...

Might be wrong....But...
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Well, I also personally prefer this to the Henry, in terms of shape and colour - although the Henry had a nicer sweatband. Horses for courses and each to their own etc..
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

See, I always thought the Christy's block made a great Indy lid, which is why I have an Adventurer, it's just a shame that their felt isn't more durable.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Nice fedora,how about water how does it tolerate water? :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Most reviews are that the Christies hats do not take well to foul weather. Many have reported tapering issues once their hats have gotten wet.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I don't wear it in anthing worse than a light rain, and as such it still looks as good as new. Christy's and HJ are not the most robust hats. The Christy's is at least affordable enough to be replaceable. If you want a hat to withstand any elements, best look elsewhere.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

I'm liking the look of this hat a LOT :)

and at $130 delivered Down Under, the price is pretty darned good too..
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

whiskyman wrote:I don't wear it in anthing worse than a light rain, and as such it still looks as good as new. Christy's and HJ are not the most robust hats. The Christy's is at least affordable enough to be replaceable. If you want a hat to withstand any elements, best look elsewhere.
Thanks for giving excellent advice, whiskey. :M: :tup:

Most folks think these Christies can be 'be all-do all' hats when in reality they were intended to be used in dress situations. Best advice I've read in a LONG time condensed into 3 sentences ! :TOH:

HIGH regard! Michaelson