Indiana Jones and his jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Indiana Jones and his jacket...

Post by Texan Scott »

Ever wonder why a man that lives for the pure adventure and his own fortune and glory, putting his life in extreme peril would actually need a leather jacket? In theory, it might be useful as a covering for trekking through the jungle, as protection from razer grass or poisonous foliage? It might be useful to fight off mosquitos (pre-Off era), or as a covering for when desert temps fall rapidly at night? Maybe sandstorms? Undoubtedly, there were some practical uses for an adventurer to use a leather jacket, even a light one, when traversing through extreme environments. Have you found some other practical uses for your jackets, in the spirit of these films?

It really does not matter if you use an A-2, or a modern knock off, or an old designer leather jacket. Ultimately, "adventure" these qualities and sentiments are found on the inside first....
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Indiana Jones and his jacket...

Post by WConly »

Yeah a few years ago in a fight between two dogs with a child close by. End results: Child ok, no scratches, nothing; Dogs seperated.... bleeding, not profusly, and; Jacket; Pretty clawed up with a couple of rips, loose seams, etc. All, in all, not bad. But I would not suggest this as a practical method for 'distressing your 'Indy' jacket :-k ! W>
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indy wears the jacket in the spirit of soldier of fortune B movies; Alan Ladd in China or Heston in Secrets of the Incas. It's a costume cliche. I wear them because they are practical. You can wipe them with a damp cloth to clean them, they wear well, they look better with age and they never need ironing. Perfect for travel. What's not to like? ;)
twistedotter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by twistedotter »

In my travels (currently in Africa) I've found it to be both an excellent pilllow and table cloth.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Simple reason: it just looks cool! ;)
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

HEAR HEAR JENS!!!!!
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Motorcycling is perhaps the single greatest adventuring activity that most leather jackets will ever see. Some of my leathers have been through quite a bit - long road trips, sometimes in the rain, a couple of get-offs, and the parties! Some of those have been pretty adventurous, themselves.

I've slept in and on them, as well.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Leather - tough, versatile, breathable, water-resistant, field-fixable. Won't keep you as warm as wool, as dry as oilskins, as cool as cotton/linen/silk, as protected as armour... but it does better at the others than any of the best single-function pieces can. :TOH:

LJT
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

I wore my USWINGS Steer Hide Legend under 60 pounds of body armor while flying in Afghanistan, very practical…

W-W
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

wild_weasel wrote:I wore my USWINGS Steer Hide Legend under 60 pounds of body armor while flying in Afghanistan, very practical…

W-W
Where do you click 'like' on this site? :-k

:TOH:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Michaelson, is that your car in your avatar ? I've no idea what it is but it looks GREAT !
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, it is. My daily driver for the past 7+ years. It's a 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4 door.

It's the one used in McFly's smilie: :Plymouth:

Thanks! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson