What is your perfect whip length, and why?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

What is your perfect whip length, and why?

Post by drewtheman »

I wanted to start this new topic, and see what length of whips, you guys prefer and why? Is it for more multiple cracking, or target work, ect. I my self would lean to the 8 foot,but what about a 7. Thanks guys.
riku1914
Vendor

Re: What is your perfect whip length, and why?

Post by riku1914 »

It just depends. For everyday cracking, 7 or 8 ft. with a longer handle is really fun. For fast multiple cracking with two handles, I'd

go more to the ( talking bullwhips ) 5-6 ft. area.

On the flip side of that, using a really long whip is fun sometimes.

They're all perfect!
parttime
Vendor

Post by parttime »

This is a question I get asked a lot by customers.

My answer is of course only an opinion but my favorite whip is a 7 & 1/2 ft bullwhip with a 10 inch handle foundation and stiffer transition.
Not quite Indy 4 stiff but too stiff to coil up and wear on your belt.

It has a 30inch fall making it long enough to reach the 9ft target line but still short and quick enough to do all that fancy DeLongis stuff.
We are talking about one handed routines correct? For dual whips or two handed routines I would not go over 6ft to maintain speed and prevent tangling.

-Dusty :whip:
drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewtheman »

Thanks part time, yes one handed routines. I have yet to venture to the two handed lol.my next whip purchase will be a 7 foot, I think that would be a perfect length for me as my cracking space is limited. As I think anything more than an 8 foot, need to much room,and harder to handle.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

drewtheman wrote:Thanks part time, yes one handed routines. I have yet to venture to the two handed lol.my next whip purchase will be a 7 foot, I think that would be a perfect length for me as my cracking space is limited. As I think anything more than an 8 foot, need to much room,and harder to handle.
7 ft. is definitely a good length. You getting a 7 foot indy whip or some other style of bullwhip?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I've got a 7' Aussie style (long handle) bullwhip by Joe Strain, and that's probably my favorite. It's great for targeting and fast cracking because of the long handle, and still looks good with the length when it rolls out. Also the benefit of that particular whip is that it's pretty thin, and not as weighty as a regular Indy style whip like you find in a Morgan or a del Carpio (both great whips! I love my del Carpio, but it's not great for fast cracking with that short handle and heavy weight!).

Shane
drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewtheman »

Thanks mcfly! That's what I was thinking exactly, even though I always like the indy style, I think the Aussie whip, would be more fun! Now I got some more thinking to do.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I've only ever used 10 footers, mostly because that's generally what was carried by indy. Lately, I've been thinking maybe I should lookinto different lengths.....I still want it to look good on my belt.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

I think it depends on a few things: your size, intended use, available space...

I grew up and learned with, a ten foot American style bullwhip, and I'm 6'4", so what feels normal and "right" to me may not be the same for someone else. But as an overall-whip, I would say an Indy style whip 8' long with a 33" fall and a 9" cracker.
Cheers,

Franco

EDIT: Right, I forgot to say WHY I like this length. I like it because it is the most versatile whip I have tried. Short whips are great for combinations and fast routines, long whips are impressive and have a long reach (but then, how often are you going to need to cross a gaping chasm with it...), long handles are good for volleys and precision (but look awkward on your belt...), snake whips -well I've never liked them. So there you have it, for me an American-style bullwhip (with a good transition zone) is it.
Last edited by Canuck Digger on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

291 feet, not an inch shorter.

:Plymouth:

I have a 10' and 7'. I can't do much with the 10' other than the cattleman at this point. I use the 7' to learn and then try to transition to the 10'.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

drewtheman wrote:Thanks mcfly! That's what I was thinking exactly, even though I always like the indy style, I think the Aussie whip, would be more fun! Now I got some more thinking to do.
I can make a really light Aussie styled whip if you like. I have one going right now but it was more intended for just target cracking, it has a shot loaded core for more weight into the crack.

My prices are a whole lot lower than any other kangaroo whip maker that I've seen, but I don't sacrifice quality because of that. Still use the best leather I can find and put 110% into each whip.

Let me know if you think you might be interested!
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I'm thinking of having a short whip made. Just dunno which length to go with. I'm having a hard time using an 8ft for the volley so I was thinking getting a 5 or 6ft.

Which would be easier for doing the volley (and probably incorporating a few fighting moves)?
drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewtheman »

For volleys and for Some fighting moves, I would go with a 5 footer, the 5 foot would be more faster, allowing you to perform those moves more easier.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

I actually learned with a 12-footer, but it was an interesting make and didn't have much of a fall to speak of. I used longer whips for years and years, and was completely accustomed to them...It wasn't until about 6 years ago that I had a whip shorter than 10-12', and lately I've been going in the opposite direction---making these little, meticulously-crafted 3'-4' bullwhips and snakewhips for carry... They're so nimble and quick, and you can crack them almost anywhere. I've made it a point over the last 6 months or so to use a wide variety of lengths, to step out from my comfort zone...And here's my take.

10' whips and above are awesome things for challenging target work, and doing some impressive-looking multiples...But they run at their own (slow) pace, and they do take it out of you.

Short whips are crazy fast, amazing at honing your timing skills with multiples and routines, and just a heck of a lot of fun... In addition to being 'handy'.

But my go-to whip has been the 7'-7 1/2', 7-10" handle whip with a 24" fall. It's long enough for challenging target work and smooth, balanced routines...But short enough to be easy to manage, and quick enough to do speed drills with... For Indygear stuff, my go-to is my 10' Morgan-style whip...But when it comes to real whip-work, it's the 7-footers every time for the bread-and-butter stuff....
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Lots of different advantages for each length! :whip: The 10-foot Indy-style bullwhips I've tried out (a Morgan, and a Jacka) have a very impressive cracking-style and great reach. The 6-ft Joe Strain Indy-style bullwhip which Bullwhip Borton lent me for the target competition at Ft. Mac. last November cracked very easily and had great aim.

Ultimately, I went with an 8-foot Indy-style bullwhip myself because it seems to me to be the best compromise for me of these various characteristics: good reach, good aim, great cracking-style, looks good coiled and hanging from the belt. :whip:

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska S.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

All the exact reasons I have an 8 footer myself... :TOH:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

NES wrote:Lots of different advantages for each length! :whip: The 10-foot Indy-style bullwhips I've tried out (a Morgan, and a Jacka) have a very impressive cracking-style and great reach. The 6-ft Joe Strain Indy-style bullwhip which Bullwhip Borton lent me for the target competition at Ft. Mac. last November cracked very easily and had great aim.

Ultimately, I went with an 8-foot Indy-style bullwhip myself because it seems to me to be the best compromise for me of these various characteristics: good reach, good aim, great cracking-style, looks good coiled and hanging from the belt. :whip:

Nebraska S.

Kinda where I'm heading....I've only used a 10 footer and while I've had fun and no real problems....I'm wondering if I should go for a 9 or so. I still want it to look good on the belt......
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

backstagejack wrote:
NES wrote:Lots of different advantages for each length! :whip: The 10-foot Indy-style bullwhips I've tried out (a Morgan, and a Jacka) have a very impressive cracking-style and great reach. The 6-ft Joe Strain Indy-style bullwhip which Bullwhip Borton lent me for the target competition at Ft. Mac. last November cracked very easily and had great aim.

Nebraska S.

Kinda where I'm heading....I've only used a 10 footer and while I've had fun and no real problems....I'm wondering if I should go for a 9 or so. I still want it to look good on the belt......
If it can be of help, here's an example of mine on my belt:

Best wishes,
Nebraska S.
drewtheman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewtheman »

Thanks guys for the info! I talked to Joe strain, and went ahead and orderd another whip! I went with a 7 foot kotcs whip. this will be my last indy style whip, I'll get. Riku I might be interested in a whip, like the one your making. Will see when your finished with it send some pics! Thanks, I don't know what the wife will say lol.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i have a todd's 8 ft whip and it cracked great, then i got a Todd's 12 ft whip and i found myself really getting a better feel with that whip. depends on the length, i guess.
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

6ft is my favorite, 8ft is good, anything over or under those lengths is novelty to me, but can be fun to play with.
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

In my experience:

For double handed whipcracking:
-stockwhips 10inch handle, 5ft thong
-6ft bullwhips, with a 12 inch handle

For single whipcracking:
-indy whip: 7 to 8ft bullwhip
-australian whip: The 8ft Ben Scott's Aussie.

JP
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

jeanfifi wrote:In my experience:

For double handed whipcracking:
-stockwhips 10inch handle, 5ft thong
-6ft bullwhips, with a 12 inch handle

For single whipcracking:
-indy whip: 7 to 8ft bullwhip
-australian whip: The 8ft Ben Scott's Aussie.

JP
You seriously use a 10" handle on stockwhips?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

NES wrote:
backstagejack wrote:

Nebraska S.

If it can be of help, here's an example of mine on my belt:

Best wishes,
Nebraska S.
Thanks!!! That doesn't look too bad on the belt.....
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

LOL

sorry I meant 20inch handle for my 5ft stockwhips :) :)

errare humanum est

jp