Fedora Roots

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Fedora Roots

Post by Raven7dp »

Since I've been doing a lot of genealogy work over the past two years, I've come across a lot of family photos. This one in particular struck my fancy as it's the only time I've seen my grandfather in a fedora. It is early 1948 and he was just released from the Navy in 1946 while serving in the Pacific during World War II. He's all of 28 years old in this picture. I love the jaunty tilt to the hat and the politically incorrect way of how he's holding a cigarette next to my uncle. I really do miss my Paw-Paw. Just thought I'd share this image with those of you who would appreciate this lid.

Thanks for lookin',

Jonathan

Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Fedora Roots

Post by Sammy »

That's a GREAT picture! It says so much! Looks straight out of a LIFE or TIME magazine.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Wonderful picture! Thanks for sharing!

What a classy look! I can't imagine that Crocs, ball caps and bluetooth headsets will inspire the same mystique and nostalgia in the future.

Weston
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

You know, for me, what makes this picture all that more special is the shadow of the person taking it. Great vintage picture -- it just takes you right into the time period, itself. Thanks for sharing this! W>
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Cool photo. Nice that it's a family picture you can cherish.
Weston wrote: I can't imagine that Crocs, ball caps and bluetooth headsets will inspire the same mystique and nostalgia in the future.
Weston
They will when everyone is just a brain floating in a jar living a vicarious life in cyberspace. "Remember when people used to have feet, and heads, and ears...ah those were the days." :CR:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

Another interesting note is the different angle of the hat that can be seen in the storefront window reflection. It gives you another look at the crown.

Jonathan
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

What a great shot. That's when people knew how to dress. A kid today woul d ook at this picture and ask what the special occasion was. That's no special occasion, junior, that's every day!

I have a couple of pictures of my grandfather with my mom fromthe late 1930s. I'll have to find and post them. In fact, that might be a good idea for this thread, posting pics of your nattily dressed forebears.
Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

Indiana Bugs,

I concur with your idea. I would hope that everyone will submit a vintage photo of their ancestors wearing a chapeau of some sort. I look forward to all the pics.

Jonathan
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Here's one of the pictures I have of my mom and her dad out on a regular plain ol' weekend. She was either two or three at at the time which puts the year at 1938 or 1939, right in the time of LC.

If I was to ever get a custom made hat, it would be an attempt at replicating what he wearing, but the details are so not there that I don't know if I would attempt it.
Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

Awesome contribution, Bugs. How far back does the fedora's origin span? It would be cool to see how early some of the photos are that include our favorite lid.

Jonathan
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Thanks, Raven. I don't know anything about the hat and I doubt my mom does, either. I can't see me asking her, 'Hey, ma, do you know what brand and model of hat Grandpa is wearing in these pictures?' and her saying, 'Oh of course. That's a Stetson blahblahblah.' lol

Anyway, here's another one of the two of them probably in 1941 or 1942. Both of these pictures, btw, were taken in the Bronx on or near Andrews Ave.

Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

Wow, that's an equally impressive photo, Bugs. I really love the three piece suit. Very classy. I'd love to know the color of the fedora and suit. But B&W is so timeless. Keep them coming.

Jonathan
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Your aren't kidding here! That is a cool looking hat! Quite impressive! Me likes :tup: ! W>
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Thanks, guys. Maybe I will ask my mom if she has any recollection of the colors of the suit(s) and/or hat.

I do have some more pictures of some distant (to me) relatives with hats on. The year is most likely fall of 1936. That's my mom in the carriage. My grandmother is on the left in the first picture. I don't know who the men are.

The next one is my grandfather on the left with one of his elders. Judging by what I think my gf's age is in the picture, and the year he was born, I estimate this picture was taken around 1930.

WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Raven7dp wrote:Another interesting note is the different angle of the hat that can be seen in the storefront window reflection. It gives you another look at the crown.

Jonathan
I did not catch that on my first viewing. Good eye! It does tell us more about the hat! Thanks. W>
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Bugs, Those are some great photos!
I especially like the last one. The older gentleman on the right has it GOIN' ON!
The hat, the long coat, the little round glasses! Love it!
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

This is a great thread! I hope that I can find some photos to add! (gonna have to go talk to my mom, see what she's got!). I hope that many many more people add pics to this thread. Pics of all of us wearing our lids in vintage clothes is great, but I think a thread such as this will give us all a lot of perspective and appreciation for what happened before!

Keep 'em coming!

Daren Henry W
Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

Here is an image of my grandfather's father in 1920 in the coal mining town of Dora, Alabama; wearing their Sunday best for a special photo session. My grandfather is the baby in the pic. I don't quite know what's up with the fedora my great grandfather is wearing. It has such a loose pinch and a two tone appearance on the crown. I love the wrap my great grandmother is wearing and the cravats on my great uncles. Still looking for more evidence of the fedora popping up in earlier photos in my family tree.

Jonathan
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Thanks, kwad. I sometimes fantasize that I have that outfit in my closet (in my size). I'd love to try it on. If I could afford bespoke I'd have it made for me.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Here's one of my granddad wearing his fedora and leather jacket sometime in the late 40s. It's the only picture I have of him wearing either a hat or a leather jacket. Looks like he shopped at the same tie store as Raven7dp's granddad. ;)

Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

CM,

That is a spectacular photo of your grandfather. What a wonderful and unique ensemble. I do agree that both of our grandfathers had the same taste in ties. I just noticed that my grandmother's scarf seems to match my grandfather's tie. Maybe just coincedence.

Jonathan
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

This is a fantastic thread.

Back in the day they used to do "sidewalk" shots - photographers would approach people on the street and take snaps of them then sell or give them the photos. That's what the first pic reminds me of. I am not sure if it is, but it was a popular trend - the original hipstamatic approach.
Loving these vintage pics!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks for sharing, all. Really great to see real family pictures. When my grandmother moved out of her house my parents went through boxes of old pictures with her. I remember seeing a number of my great/grandparents. Next time I visit I'm going to have to dig them out and see what's there.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

One of the things I like about the pic of cm289's grandfather is that he's wearing what is in many ways a "historically accurate" :-s Indy outfit.

LJT
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:One of the things I like about the pic of cm289's grandfather is that he's wearing what is in many ways a "historically accurate" :-s Indy outfit.

LJT
Yeah! and the hat with that pinch is awesome! :)

Regards
Joe