Guys, Todd made it again!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/m ... nes-boots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have you seen those? I'm getting mine as soon as they are available!

Mods, feel free to remove when Todd will present them officially!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Does anyone know how the widths run? I wear an 8.5 EEE (yep 3x) and some Wide sizes have fit me.

Mistyped on my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Guys, Todd made it again!

Post by Texan Scott »

I'm glad you posted this link, I'm just now getting back into the loop and really like this offering! Props to Todd & Co.!
UkulelePinoy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by UkulelePinoy »

I've been checking that site almost daily. Was I surprised when I saw the new picture show up. I ordered a pair this afternoon. Will report when they eventually come in (estimate is 5/18 last I saw).
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

here is what is on the website ,
Yep! They're stitching them right now, and they work fast, and that means they'll be here very soon. In fact, they may ship any day now.

If you're reading this, you've been waiting a long time for these!

Let me tell you about them. First off, these are TOP OF THE LINE quality! I'm so impressed with the materials, leather, finish, shape, etc. I'd put these up against the expensive brand any day! Real Goodyear welt construction with leather storm welt that splices with a plain welt at the heel. The welt is stitched completely through the top quality rubber sole. In addition, the midsole is NAILED to the insole. The authentic orthopedic heel is NAILED to the insole as well, completely though all layers of the heel. You'll note that we're dying the leather spacer on the heel black so it doesn't glare at you. The speed lace hooks are the strongest I've seen! Wow!

"Okay, so they're built like a tank, but how do they feel?" The upper leather is beautiful, supple top grain cowhide with a waxy finish and great feel. The inside is completely leather lined - the toe is lined in soft pigskin, and the rest is lined with glove-soft calfskin. The insole is genuine leather. I'm telling you, you're going to weep for joy when you get these!

And guess what? HALF SIZES this time!

We're taking pre-orders because so many people have been eagerly awaiting these boots, they're going to sell out fast! Grab your pair now!

Oh, yeah - one thing. The photo is of a production sample. Color may vary slightly, and hardware and laces will be better than what is seen on the sample.
so check it folks the boots will be $149.95
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Nice, that they´re on the way.But pricetag of 149$,old ones were cheaper.BTW,where are they being made? Good looking boots as allways,as the "proto" shows. :tup:
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

I have to agree 150? I'm not trying to be a downer its just that its such a big difference in price. Wasn't the old price like 80? But again don't get me wrong they look really great I just hope todd doesn't run out which seems to be happening a lot lately with product.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I just wish they came in widths. Need a wide boot.

Gailen :cry:
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Re: Guys, Todd made it again!

Post by MS Jones »

Aragorn658 wrote:I have to agree 150? I'm not trying to be a downer its just that its such a big difference in price. Wasn't the old price like 80? But again don't get me wrong they look really great I just hope todd doesn't run out which seems to be happening a lot lately with product.
Please bear in mind the current economic state and the price of fuel. In California right now fuel prices are hovering near five bucks a gallon. Prices for vendors has increased substantially in recent months, and to realize a profit this higher prices must be passed on to us the customers. There is enough going on right now that I could fill up several pages explaining it but I hate typing on this tablet. I have dealt with Todd and Kristen a lot, as have many of our members, and I can assure you that he raised his prices out of necessity. You could always drop $400 on a pair of Aldens that you couldn't identify if they were side by side with these boots. Todd provides a huge service to the "budget" gearhead, myself included, but he is no more immune to the recession than any of us. Hope this clears things up. Cheers.

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk 2
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

The price is relative to the quality of the item. From what I've read and heard these boots have been vastly improved over the previous ones. This certainly would account for much of the increase in price.

Regards,
Gailen :TOH:
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Again I'm not being negative. I'm saving up for them and I hope todd doesn run out.
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

Aragorn658 wrote:Again I'm not being negative. I'm saving up for them and I hope todd doesn run out.
You better get them quick, then. These will go really fast.

littledragon88
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by littledragon88 »

I am really tempted to order a pair. Although I have a pair of Aldens already, I think Todd's boot may be good for pure costuming purposes.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Yes, I own Aldens also but I just ordered a pair of Todd's just to use in my display. I will continue to wear my Aldens. :?

Gailen
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Todd told me about these almost 2 years ago at the 2010 QM Summit and I've been waiting ever since! Glad they are finally here!! \:D/
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I loved my old Todds boots, but they've fallen apart. I hope that those will be made better, especially considering doubled price.

I dropped Todd an email regarding sizing, but no reply so far.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

The old price was $74.95. So now they're exactly TWICE the price.

I was hoping to get a pair to roughhouse in and a pair to keep nice. Looks like that's out of the question. Bummer. :( Here's hoping they're twice as nice then.

I actually missed out on his last pair of 11s the last time by about 2 hours. All because I had a problem with my debit card because i neglected to inform my bank I was going to be in Québec for 2 weeks. @#$%! Oh well, I've been waiting for what seems like forever for this email, so I'm still happy. Now I just have to move some of my fun budget around. :cry:
Last edited by Arch Stanton on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

Arch Stanton wrote:The old price was $74.95. So now they're exactly TWICE the price.

I was hoping to get a pair to roughhouse in and a pair to keep nice. Looks like that's out of the question. Bummer. :( Here's hoping they're twice as nice then.
They will be 40% nicer. The other 60% is inflation. Lol.

Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

:lol:

Now I feel like a bit of a heel for crabbing though. The description does sound nice, and Todd's obviously put some work into farming these out to the right people and getting a good product. And the price STILL can't be beat compared to the alternative.
Last edited by Arch Stanton on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Not to worry guys. The minute these bad boys hit the street the cat will be out of the bag. If they are not of a much higher caliber then the first boots and cost twice the price then Todd will not be able to sell them. He knows that and. from a strictly business point of view he's not going to let that happen. You should get about twice the boot for this price. I would imagine the material quality is the main reason for the large increase. The labor was always present in the assembly of the boot and may have increased a little but not a lot.

Gailen :TOH:
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

and not to mention he has han solo boots, too?
is he going to expand into the star wars universe too?
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

As a bonus Todd has agreed to personally bless the first 50 pairs of boots sold. Just kidding :lol:

Gailen ;)
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I have the old boots as well as Aldens, and there's no doubt the newer boots have much more labor involved in the construction. True stitched soles alone mean more time involved, compared to glueing them on. Nails for the heel instead of one staple and some glue. Leather lining too? These look good. We'll see.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I really like the color of these, also. With some leather oil, you will be well on your way.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Okay, okay! I was going to just be happy with my close-enoughs but snob appeal has won me over. I want to be one of the few... And heck, I've dropped more on boots that I've worn only once so far, so how can I lose?
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Well, I ordered some too.

Snob appeal??!! Maybe. Myself, I splurge on what I really like. I really wish I could get by with cheap footwear, but I learned the hard way, that I can't.

I have many pairs of boots, (too many). Many of them are Aldens. I can't afford to keep boots I don't wear. Not that I can justify all the ones I DO wear! But I can tell as soon as I lace them up if they're keepers.

Alden shoes have a steel shank, which has become something I don't like to do without. I make sure my Redwings for work have them too. But I'm going to make an exception on these.

I'm thinking Todd's boots probably don't have the steel shank, if there's a shank at all, but, hey, I figure if they really don't suit me, Todd is always fair on returns. These boots look too good to not try them out!
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

I wish I had money. Maybe todd wil barter and trade.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

I have to agree that price equals quality.Found that out many a times.Means that I´ve bought many cheap shoes,some lasted long some fell apart by touch.. ;) But compare Todd´s to Aldens, these are a bargain... 468$ to 149$..:shock: :o ](*,)
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Well, I bet he tried very hard to get these together, and strike a balance of quality and affordability.

Hopefully, he's got a winner here, and a manufacturer that can provide consistent quality. To me, that's everything. Knowing what you are going to get. The beauty of Alden is the construction doesn't change. Unfortunately, lately, the price has changed, dramatically. And, not to say you can't get a defective pair, but you know what to expect. Most brands change styles and manufacturing processes so often in the name of keeping things "fresh", that you might get a great pair of boots one time and shoddy ones of the same brand the next. They're always looking for a cheaper way of doing things. Eventually, that shows.

It means a whole lot to me that these boots are apparently resoleable with the Goodyear style welt. Even if they wear fast, you can replace the soles with nearly whatever sole you want. My current Todd's are serviceable, but only after considerable work to keep them together, mostly with glue. They have their limitations, but with the cost of the old boots and repairs, I'm just about at the cost of the new boots here. If the new boots just stay together, they're already 'cheaper' to me than his old offering, considering two trips to the cobbler, (time and repairs).

But we won't really know for at least a month!!!!
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

These boots look fantastic - very pleased with Todds. Not only has his line been consistently good, but after the last line ended, he was busy getting another one. They look great and will defiantly order! I gave up trying to find Aldo Rodriguez ages ago and delighted to see an accurate boot at last!

Any other pics anyone? I know they're still in construction.. soles, insides, anything would be great!

Thank you Todds Costumes!
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Arch Stanton wrote:The old price was $74.95. So now they're exactly TWICE the price.

I actually missed out on his last pair of 11s the last time by about 2 hours. All because I had a problem with my debit card because i neglected to inform my bank I was going to be in Québec for 2 weeks. @#$%! Oh well, I've been waiting for what seems like forever for this email, so I'm still happy. Now I just have to move some of my fun budget around. :cry:
I had a pair of size 12s, really a 11 as the first batch were made small, recently in the bazaar. They were ok, hurt my feet even after a trip to the cobbler to fix the sole. But I have bad feet.

Todd had a poll up a while back about what price range and quality we wanted. $150 is not bad but depends on how they are made. I just bought my first pair of Aldens recently second hand (which dont hurt my feet) and may have to see how the reviews are on the new ones before buying.
Last edited by JC1972 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

I'll take the plunge if the returns policy is the same. Half sizes attractive and I'll keep what fits! Very tempted to order. Ill be an interesting candidate too, wide feet!
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBravo »

Grrr! And me with my new Crosbys I got a couple of weeks ago. Had I known… Anyway my old Todds boot are holding up great , but I cant justify buying another pair of Indy boots so soon, especially with the warm weather on the horizon. Still, these new models from Todd look extraordinary. Cant wait for input from fellow members! Well done Todd.
Cheers

Bravo
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

In all fairness to Todd, he did ask us all what we'd prefer, cheaper or more expensive with less risk of easy damage...The majority asked and commented said they'd prefer the more expensive version since you really do get what you pay for (especially in shoes..)..

And that said, 150 dollars still isn't much for shoes like these bearing in mind that they're custom built to suit a market that is so small only one other company has bothered keeping a design open for us... Their price reflects the quality and the relatively small market they sell too...Todd's boots price would reflect the market (us) and a raise in quality to combat the issues that the last pair of boots he sold suffered from....80 dollar boots fall apart easily...150 dollar boots should stand a better chance at being used daily with less damage...

Time will tell, but Todd has done right by us all the way so far, and there's no need to say more on that point....We decided the price. (And I think 150 is more than reasonable if the shoes are decent....Time will tell on that point..)..

I probably won't buy a pair....My Aldens are more than enough shoe-wise.. But I applaud Todd for being willing to up his game and bring us some boots that are workable for us as Indy fans...Thanks Todd.... :TOH:

You'll get what you pay for I suspect. 150 dollar shoes that won't break in a week and will be able to last a fair bit longer than we've come to expect with Todds....All good in my opinion...

It'll be interesting to see what they actually come out looking like....While I'm not especially needing a new pair of shoes, perhaps I'll change in a year or so when people have tried them and we know the quality....While I have the Aldens, I like the design so much that another similar pair would work well.....

We'll see....

Again, thanks for these Todd! :TOH:
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

well does anyone wanna get rid of there old todd boot haha. ok i am very serious
Last edited by Aragorn658 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

You can tell by the quality and thickness of the apparently (cowhide) leather, plus the materials and construction of this new boot, that the quality is much better than the original offering. This time, it is like an every day boot. You would think after awhile, that the price of Aldens would plateau, level off some, but the price of their boots keeps climbing as the years go by, and were up to $468-$480 these days? For $150, it looks like you are going to get one heck of a boot for the money! You can easily pay that in a good pair of safety boots, plus these close enoughs are a very faithful reproduction of the original. I just wonder if these will have the steel shanks in them also?
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Perhaps the Aldens went up in price due to the cost of leather going up. But to being back on OT, I will wait and see how others like this new version before getting another pair of Indy boots.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You guys can tell all this from the posting of a single photo? :shock: :-k

Wow! You're a lot better than I am, and I've been reviewing equipment since the start of the hobby.

I hope you're all correct, but I'll be more interested in reading a review by someone who actually has a pair in hand (or on feet) before starting to get so loose with all the glowing describer adjectives in a review of a product no one has even handled yet. :|

Todd's good, his write up of product is tantalizing, and his reputation is a good one, but let's not go overboard just because a photo has been posted of a new item. Let's get some solid hands-on research under our collective belts before going all ga-ga over an item.

We owe the new folks that much. :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

Agree completely. The truth will be known quickly once they are received. :TOH:

Gailen
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep. :TOH:
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I'm glad you all are as excited as I am about these. As I mentioned on the site (thanks for posting that, Mark M.) I looked for the best deal I could. Most REAL shoe manufacturers won't look at an order for less than 5,000 pairs of boots. Then the price does go down a LOT (you wouldn't believe how cheap popular brands are - $15 - $20 per pair, then marked up to $99 at the store!) I finally had about 3 or 4 manufacturers that looked reputable and that would do less than 300 pairs. Of course, with numbers that small, the price goes WAY up! That's about when I put up that poll about price levels and heard a lot of people like Michaelson say that they only want stuff that's built to last. Actually, this is the company that was the most expensive and I think I had the price on the poll estimated at $175-$200 per pair for them. Well, the other cheaper offers went by the wayside because they were hard to communicate with and just struggled to get a sample right. This company, like I said, the first sample (in the photo - the ONLY sample I needed) was perfect. I didn't need to see any more. Some things about this shoe are just for sample purpose, and will be improved on the production shoes, but they didn't need to be. They're great.

I normally don't accept pre-orders for things because it is really risky. The merchandise could be terrible and then I'm doomed. But I was forced to in this circumstance so I could have the money needed to pay the balance due when they're complete (which will be anyday now). I hope they don't let me down, but so far they've been great and exceeded my expectations in every way.

The big thing this time was real goodyear welt stitched through the sole. Only big factories have machinery for that. Usually Goodyear welt is just glued to the sole. I did NOT want a repeat of the headaches we had with the old shoes.

I did manage to get them to bring the price down a little, and I found a shipping carrier that can save me a lot of money, so I was able to reduce the price to $149. Sometimes, you don't have a choice - the price is what it is and you just put it out there and let people decide for themselves if they want it. This time, I wanted top quality shoes, and that's just the price they had to be.

About sizes - I don't have the shoes yet. I can't tell you if they run big, small, wide, narrow, hot, cold, mild, spicy, etc. They're all medium width. My order wasn't big enough to carry mutiple widths of every size. I would have ended up with, like, ONE pair of each size/width combo!

I'll try to take some more pictures of the samples - just bear in mind that the final deal won't be exactly identical. Oh, I'll ask about the steel shanks, but I'd be flabberghasted if they DIDN'T have them. You get those even in cheap shoes, like the PU ones in Payless.

-Todd
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Thanks for the info Todd! I'm always impressed by your attention to detail and reasonable prices. I can't wait to see these boots on some feet!
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Sorry, Todd. I didn't mean to draw a premature conclusion about your boots. Hey, I ordered them already!

I made the assumption that steel for the shank wasn't a priority since I'm almost positive you had stated the last Adventure boots did not have them. But, now that I think about it, maybe it was Magnoli. And, I have no idea what most shoes, cheap or not, use as a shank. But I do know that I had difficulty finding Redwings with a steel shank that did not have a safety toe. Of that I'm sure. I'd say a majority of quality work boots today actually have a fiberglass or plastic shank, which I blow out in a few months, and the support is gone.

I say that of the Aldens too, only because I like it. I've heard Allen Edmonds don't have them. I guess a shank can be made of many things, including aluminum and cork.

Again, sorry. I think I'm the only person I know that even notes this about shoes.

In any event, I'm looking forward to receiving these boots!
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I'll ask about it - I had no idea there were so many kinds. I'll let you know ASAP.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Puppetboy wrote:I normally don't accept pre-orders for things because it is really risky. The merchandise could be terrible and then I'm doomed. But I was forced to in this circumstance so I could have the money needed to pay the balance due when they're complete (which will be anyday now). I hope they don't let me down, but so far they've been great and exceeded my expectations in every way.
-Todd
Believe me, Todd, 'we' appreciate the tightrope you small business folks walk in order to make a business work for both you and your customer. Speaking strictly for myself, that's the ONLY reason I pop into threads like this to at least give voice to the concerns 'we' as customers have, as we, too, have our dollars on the line right there with you and want to be sure EVERYONE is going to be happy with the final result.

The fact they have Goodyear welts speaks volumes, as that means they're repairable. HUGE marks for that, my friend. In this world of throw away stuff, it's getting more and more expensive to follow that practice, especially in THIS hobby, and the reason 'I' have been a big supporter of acquiring gear that 'lasts'.

Looking forward to reading the good reports when they start arriving at folks doors.

Good luck! :TOH:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

I agree with Michaelson and will be ordering.. without your efforts Todd, we wouldn't have these boots!
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Todd has done so much for this hobby. These boots look great and the details are surprising on something for this price. They look tough.

I am wondering, has anyone bought a complete set of gear from Todd? As in hat to boot? I am thinking that all put together as a whole it would look pretty good...
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

whipcracker wrote:I am wondering, has anyone bought a complete set of gear from Todd? As in hat to boot? I am thinking that all put together as a whole it would look pretty good...
I don't have a complete set, but I have Todd's RotLA holster, mk VII replica, bag strap, and a heavily modified Downtowner fedora. I can tell you that all of it is, of course, top notch. We should start a "Coyle's Indy" thread. :TOH: Cheers.

whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

MS Jones wrote:
whipcracker wrote:I am wondering, has anyone bought a complete set of gear from Todd? As in hat to boot? I am thinking that all put together as a whole it would look pretty good...
I don't have a complete set, but I have Todd's RotLA holster, mk VII replica, bag strap, and a heavily modified Downtowner fedora. I can tell you that all of it is, of course, top notch. We should start a "Coyle's Indy" thread. :TOH: Cheers.

I think that's a good idea!
indyexpat
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyexpat »

MS Jones wrote:

Todd does great stuff but we're all different shapes. In my personal opinion, the Garrison hat is the only one to have. Todd shirts are great as are the pants (though mine needed a lot of taking in) but the attention to detail and fabric choices are purely Todd - impressive! The bag and belt will work well. There are some hand-made options for the belts on the forum but having ordered them.. we're all different!

I struggle with the jacket. Personally I find the Todd a great looking jacket but it doesn't fit me at all. Tight neck, the bottom flares out and I find it to be very short though the jackets differ from movie to movie. Raiders/Doom it is short and Crystal Skull it is longer. It's a personal choice:

Todd boots are a must for price/quality. Others just aren't worth it in my opinion, either too expensive, too long a wait or too cheap.