My brand new Penman!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

My brand new Penman!

Post by Canyon »

Hi guys. Sorry that I haven't been around much lately. :anxious:

Last year at the Finger Lakes summit raffle, Chewie won a $50 gift certificate for a Penman fedora, which was very generously donated by Nick the Guy. :TOH: As Chewie has many hats, and I only have two (an Akubra and an Adventurebilt) he said he was happy to give the certificate to me so that I could own my very first Penman fedora!

We put the order in last year and I am now the very proud owner of a Last Crusade style rabbit Fedora. :mrgreen:

Here are some pictures!

And of course, no collection would be complete without the famous Penman pose...

Here are the rest of the pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8325722@N0 ... 407417024/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy! :D

I love the hat so much and just want to give another huge Thank you to John for this masterpiece! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: My brand new Penman!

Post by Strider »

:clap: :notworthy:

Lookin' awesome!
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

Congrats Canyon!!!!!!! The huge smile on your face says it all!! :lol: You look pleased with your hat!
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

It's odd that I would notice this, but your fedora has a perfect height to brim-width ratio (IMO). Congrats!
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Man, I always love seeing a new Penman, though it does leave me a little bit less patient for my CS penman... :[
4505marcel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by 4505marcel »

Very nice, Im not jelous "much"!
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

All right, Canyon! Woo-hoo! Loooking good! :TOH:

Great work, as usual, Mr. Penman! :)

DHW
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

:clap: AWESOME LID CANYON!!!! And for only a $50 gift cirtificate! John has always been a top notch guy though!

Looks awesome on you to boot! Congrats!

Johnny
Dr. Nebraska S.

My brand new Penman!

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

That's a great-looking LC you have there Stella--congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

My brand new Penman!

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Niiice, it suits you very well!!! As always John did an outstanding job!

Enjoy it!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

A special thanks for nicktheguy. For taking a gift certificate I donated that he won at the QM and passing it on for someone to win at the FL..

The hat wasn't sold for $50 GC. The GC took off from the normal price. Wish I could donate more. I have already donated a few hats for charity but I can't do anymore than a few each year.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Great hat and it looks fantastic on you - congrats!!!!!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Sorry dear I forgot to say thank you for posting a nice review and wonderful pics. It's kinda funny how that one shot is stuck in everyone mind.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

I have heard that Penman hats are kind of on the "large" size..as in too large for most heads/shoulders ect..BUT in my opinion it seems to look fine on you. I think that Indy hats SHOULD be on the large size though. For some reason in my eyes, Indys hat just LOOKS big at times..I like it..
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

John is an artist. If you send him a pic of you wearing a hat, he can use that as a guideline in making a hat that will fit your face by adjusting the dimensions accordingly.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

youngjedi71 wrote:I have heard that Penman hats are kind of on the "large" size..as in too large for most heads/shoulders ect..BUT in my opinion it seems to look fine on you. I think that Indy hats SHOULD be on the large size though. For some reason in my eyes, Indys hat just LOOKS big at times..I like it..
I think part of that is perception. Tall, wide brim hats are not considered in vogue these days, even with a mini resurgence of hat wearing.

But John is a craftsman, he's an artist. He can adjust the dimensions of a hat to suit the wearer. My Penman custom is a take on the Public Enemies Dillinger hat, and although it doesn't match the on screen dimensions of Depp's hat, it evokes the same look and is fits my face and my frame, which I think is more important.

Thus, when I ordered my AB, I told Steve to make mine 5 1/4" open crown height instead of the "SA" 5 1/2". Although I can pull off a taller crowned hat and not look too goofy (I indeed have some 5 1/2" open crown hats), the slight difference in height definitely suits me better.

But to each their own. Some people demand to have the exact "SA" dimensions for their hats, and more power to them.
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My brand new Penman!

Post by bish »

Congrats on the gift certificate and hat, it looks great!! Someday I hope to have the funds for a Penman, if only for the great Prisoner music on every video and the bike logo. (I'm just as much of a Prisoner fan as I am an Indy fan ;)

-bish
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

youngjedi71 wrote:I have heard that Penman hats are kind of on the "large" size..as in too large for most heads/shoulders ect..BUT in my opinion it seems to look fine on you. I think that Indy hats SHOULD be on the large size though. For some reason in my eyes, Indys hat just LOOKS big at times..I like it..
Some would call them big, but it's no fault of John's. As you say, Indy's hat looks kind of big. If you buy an Indy hat, from John or anyone else who strives for accuracy, it will be a hat of significant dimensions. The painful truth is, Indy style hats don't flatter everyone.

I really like custom hats like John's because there is some tweaking that can occur to get the right look. Clearly, in this case, we have an example of a dramatic success. :clap:
kwh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kwh »

awesome

kwh
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Great hat Stella!

You chose the right shape for your face too I think! The LC suits you down to the ground!

As for the Penman being "big", no, it isn't... John makes his hats better than most... They're just so spot on to the design being followed that on some faces that design looks "too big"... That's one of the beauties about the Indy hat actually... But it doesn't mean that it suits everyone perfectly..
And as Chewie says above, the greatest thing about working with John is that he can be asked and trusted to provide something scaled down to suit if it's needed for you to look better! Best of both worlds in that case..

As Stella shows above..When the shape suits the face, the hat just adds a bundle to it in quality.. Really well shown Stella!

Hope all is well...And big hugs! :TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Great Crusade look there! Ready for motorcycle or chasing tanks on horseback! Looking good :tup: ! W>
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Thank you all so much for the replies. I really appreciate it. :TOH:

Sorry if I gave the impression that the hat was bought with a $50 certificate. Chewie won it at the FL raffle and I put a bit of money into it, but it was mainly chewie that paid the rest (as I am still looking for a job, only having obtained my work authorisation in January). ;) Thank you, my darling. I could not have gotten the hat without you. Image

Hug's to you also, Fifth Chamber. Image
BendingOak wrote:Sorry dear I forgot to say thank you for posting a nice review and wonderful pics. It's kinda funny how that one shot is stuck in everyone mind.
No problem, John and thanks once again! :TOH:

Lastly, unlike my last hat, the Adventurebilt, which I crushed into a suitcase on more than one occasion, this hat is going to be the hat that I take good care of, which I am doing by keeping it in the absolutely gorgeous hat box that came with the hat. :mrgreen: Now, don't get me wrong, I 'take care' of my AB, its just that it is more like my distressed Raiders SoC fedora. ;)

Thanks once again, guys! :D
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Yep. Couldn't agree more with what everyone here has said.
This lovely lid suits you perfectly, Canyon.
John delivers THE GOODS once again!
:)
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Mitch, very kind of you to say. :TOH:
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist