Pics of Todd's Raider Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

;)
Last edited by Sammy on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Pics of Todd's Raider Fedora

Post by conceited_ape »

Lookin' good! :tup:
I'm all set for ROTLA lids right now, but I might give this a try for a ToD/LC. :-k
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

Nice pics :clap: .
gooder1138
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by gooder1138 »

Looks very nice. I just purchased one as well. Looking forward to it.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Sammy, I hope you don't mind the company, but I just wanted to make my contribution to a Thread that was devoted to the subject of the new COYLE'S Raiders fedora from Todd's Costumes... and frankly, the name of this Thread seems perfectly suited to welcoming others to ADD to it.
:)

Earlier today I was completing a Mystery of the Blues set of photos (apologies for the scruffiness) that I'd been working on and I took a few minutes to get a few photos taken featuring my new Raider fedora that arrived on Friday.

Below are several Photos and Links to photos showing a few different angles (and some variation in lighting)
Hope you like ‘em (and find them somewhat helpful if you're trying to decide if this fedora is right for you)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09715.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09743.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09750.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09783.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09787.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09823.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for a very nice hat, Todd!
:TOH:
Last edited by Mitch LaRue on Sun May 06, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

excellent shots mitch! I actually just got mine a couple days ago...very pleased as well! :)
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Will SOMEBODY please, for the love of God, cast Mitch as Indy so we can go ahead and make some new movies? Come on!

Johnny
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Sammy, I hope you don't mind the company, but I just wanted to make my contribution to a Thread that was devoted to the subject of the new COYLE'S Raiders fedora from Todd's Costumes... and frankly, the name of this Thread seems perfectly suited to welcoming others to ADD to it.

Earlier today I was completing a Mystery of the Blues set of photos (apologies for the scruffiness) that I'd been working on and I took a few minutes to get a few photos taken featuring my new Raider fedora that arrived on Friday.

Below are several Photos and Links to photos showing a few different angles (and some variation in lighting)
Hope you like ‘em (and find them somewhat helpful if you're trying to decide if this fedora is right for you)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09715.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09743.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09750.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09783.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09787.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/M ... C09823.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for a very nice hat, Todd!
looking good as always old man! lol , you know what i mean , :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

THANKS guys, very much!
:D

It's definitely a cool hat and a GREAT deal! :) :tup:
Glad you like what you're seeing!

Johnny, I...
:oops:
Wow... Thank you!
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

I love it. Mitch, the distressing on your jacket is amazing. 8)

What size is your hat, if you don't mind me asking?
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

These hats almost look like they've been turned, going by the bow placement, but without the brim warping. I wonder if it's possible to give the hat more of a raiders turn without having the bow being ridiculously far forward...
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Killer pics, as always Mitch! That's a fine showing of Todd's latest fedora.

Weston
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks, fellas.

Arch, I'm wearing a 7 &3/8 (59)
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

:tup: Mitch.

Guess I will have to get one too.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

whiskyman wrote:These hats almost look like they've been turned, going by the bow placement, but without the brim warping. I wonder if it's possible to give the hat more of a raiders turn without having the bow being ridiculously far forward...
Yeah I've tried it...but the bow would pretty much be above my eyes LOL :[
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

I don't mind at all!! Especially with great shots like these!!!!!!! Kudos!!!! :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks gents!

(compliment passed along, Michael)
stones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stones »

Mitch

A great look! The hat looks great and is exactly the right proportion for your head size and shape! This is a tricky problem as if the hat looks either too small or large (as we see sometimes in other photos posted) it doesn't work! in my opinion!

cheers

Stones :clap:
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

ajocampo wrote:
whiskyman wrote:These hats almost look like they've been turned, going by the bow placement, but without the brim warping. I wonder if it's possible to give the hat more of a raiders turn without having the bow being ridiculously far forward...
Yeah I've tried it...but the bow would pretty much be above my eyes LOL :[
Haha! Same problem I have when trying the turn on my hats. It only works if the hat is really tight like my old Christy's Adventurer which has shrunk.

The Fed IV has also shrunk down a size and is getting kinda tight. Tried doing the turn and got that brim warp, but the bow was waaaayyyy too forward. If I turn the hat to get the brim warp, the bow is now directly over my cheek, near the eye! Hahaha!
yuji
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yuji »

Awesome pics Mitch :clap:
An unseen scene from MOTB.
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Which is Mitch:

They could definitely cast Mitch as Indy if they wanted to do an movie set between LC & KOTCS :)

Regards
Joe
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Great pics! The hat looks good too, though I'm curious how it holds up to wear. Can't wait to see more!
TK5759
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by TK5759 »

APL wrote:Great pics! The hat looks good too, though I'm curious how it holds up to wear. Can't wait to see more!
I've already worn mine a couple times in heavy snow and its maintaining shape pretty well. Mitch, I'm wondering how you got the rear of your brim to curl like that. Was yours straight out the box like that or did it take a little massaging? Beautiful lid, BTW. ;)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

stones wrote:Mitch
A great look! The hat looks great and is exactly the right proportion for your head size and shape! This is a tricky problem as if the hat looks either too small or large (as we see sometimes in other photos posted) it doesn't work! in my opinion!
cheers
Stones :clap:
Thanks very much, Stones... Greatly appreciate those nice words.

yuji wrote:Awesome pics Mitch :clap:
An unseen scene from MOTB.
Thanks, yuji! That's the sort of "feel" I was going for... Mystery of the Blues: The Extended Director's Cut with 12 EXTRA Seconds of Footage! ;)

Joeyeah_right wrote:Which is Mitch:
They could definitely cast Mitch as Indy if they wanted to do an movie set between LC & KOTCS :)
Regards
Joe
:lol: Hey, that's cool, Joe... thank you for putting up that comparison. It was the very scene I was thinking of when I asked my wife to take a shot of me leaning on the car. I'm surprised to see how much I got the pose right, actually... the arms look pretty good, but I guess I should've turned my head a bit more into a direct profile. Ah, well... I didn't have anyone putting me into an exact position, so I guess I'm lucky with what we managed to get!
And thanks again for those warm words. Wish they'd go directly from your lips to George's ear!
;)

TK5759 wrote:
APL wrote:Great pics! The hat looks good too, though I'm curious how it holds up to wear. Can't wait to see more!
I've already worn mine a couple times in heavy snow and its maintaining shape pretty well. Mitch, I'm wondering how you got the rear of your brim to curl like that. Was yours straight out the box like that or did it take a little massaging? Beautiful lid, BTW. ;)
Thanks to BOTH of you... Glad you like the look of the hat!
TK, to answer your question, I asked for it to be pre-shaped, but as soon as I pulled it out of the box and plopped it on my head I started doing a few of those "curls" on the brim for a couple of minutes and then just wore it for a few hours, letting it find it's shape. A day later, just before my wife took those photos above I did the same again for a minute or two... and voila.
Definitely a nice little hat... like APL said, I'll be curious to see how she does over time with regular wear.

Thanks again, guys... Glad you liked those photos. I know I'm lookig forward to seeing some more from some other fellas here, too!
TK5759
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by TK5759 »

Maybe I'm not doing it right. My brim is coming out lumpy and misshapen. :-k
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

... I know I'm lookig forward to seeing some more from some other fellas here, too!
You're one tough act to follow!! :oops:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

So Sammy, why did you return yours? Are you getting a replacement or was the hat just not what you were looking for?
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

whiskyman wrote:So Sammy, why did you return yours? Are you getting a replacement or was the hat just not what you were looking for?
Well considering that today I received my refund to my PayPal from Todd's, it's ok to say that I returned it because it wasn't what I was looking for. It's a great hat, but didn't fit the "look" I was going for.
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Joeyeah_right wrote:Which is Mitch:

Regards
Joe
I know it could be camera angles, lighting, yada yada yada, but I like Mitch's hat better
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Dude... Did you add the gray to your hair and beard just for these pix???? ;)
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

Good picture. You look like just like Indy.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

coronado3 wrote:Dude... Did you add the gray to your hair and beard just for these pix???? ;)
Of course he did... He's Mitch!
He probably even trucked in the snow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

So I received my Todd's Raiders Fedora last week and I just wanted to post some pics of mine. It is a 59cm and I got it prebashed. I tightened the front pinch and left the swoop up in the back. It feels really good to the touch and on my head. If it shrinks then I should have enough room for that. The sides of the brim measure 2 1/2" and the front and back are 3". The crown is a little short at 5" in the middle and 4 1/2" front and back. I really like the supple feel of the felt and the leather hat band. The ribbon color is much better than the previous downtowner. And yes the color has a greenish/brown hint to it. Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

VERY nice, Jonathan... GREAT job showing off this hat!
Looks really good on ya.
Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

Thanks, Michael and Mitch

I figured the real experts would chime in on my post in regards to the look of the hat. I can say that I'm happy with something due to personal preference, but it really counts when others tend to agree or disagree. I guess it'll be a continuous search for the perfect Raiders hat for some since it never looks exactly the same from scene to scene. Working in the film industry I understand that the same article of clothing is never used throughout the entire movie; that lighting and the use of a filter in front of the lens can totally alter the hue or chroma of an item's color; and whether dust or moisture when introduced to the same said article affects its look. It can be very frustrating. As a novice to this community I am as of now satisfied..........until the next best thing pops up.

Jonathan
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

Don't mind me as I stroll through the impressive library of books behind you. :-D
Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

HA! I modestly cropped the photo to try and draw the eye to the obvious focus of the hat. Thanks for the compliment. It's an eclectic collection of movie history, military history, Disneyana, physiology and anatomy, and Star Wars collectibles. Nothing better than the written word.

Jonathan
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

Raven7dp wrote:HA! I modestly cropped the photo to try and draw the eye to the obvious focus of the hat. Thanks for the compliment. It's an eclectic collection of movie history, military history, Disneyana, physiology and anatomy, and Star Wars collectibles. Nothing better than the written word.

Jonathan
I couldn't agree with you more!! My BA is in English Lit. and I have a pretty diverse library as well. We should share notes sometime. I see you have a number of WW2 books. I'm more of a Korean War buff because of my father. But I do enjoy WW2 history.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Looks great! In fact I think that's the best Todd's hat I've seen so far. Funky beard too! :TOH:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

That is a great-looking lid, Jonathan. (And I wish my bookshelves were as orderly.)
Raven7dp
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raven7dp »

Thanks for the compliments, gentlemen. Even with the big beard the hat still looks wide brimmed. I was afraid the beard would diminish the looks of the hat but it holds up well.

Jonathan
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Last edited by Oildale Jones on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

lets see some more pics people!!!! I'm almost convinced to get one!!!
Sammy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Sammy »

I'd post more but I returned mined. Used the money towards a Penman.
Aragorn658
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Aragorn658 »

Well I cant afford the pennman or adventurebilt but its either the todds raider or the akubra IV. I want a good camping hat and I want to use it for yard work, so does the todds raider hold up? I'm gunna get todds hat stiffener and water repellent spray. so please help sorry to sound so needy.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

The Raider has only been out for like a month or two. The jury is out on durability.

The Fed on the other hand is a tried and true Akubra. You will have no issues with durability with an Akubra. A stiffener only stiffens the felt and doesn't really make a hat more durable per se. It's water protection that you want.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i'm sure many of you are tired of my pics of me wearing my "Raiders", but haha here is another one .
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Who gets tired of hat pics??! \:D/
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Hey, Mark, do you like birds?

Nice angle on the hat, BTW.