Wested Whips? I'm not joking!!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Wested Whips? I'm not joking!!

Post by irishjones »

Guys, I was just checking the Wested site and yes, they are selling their own whips! They have them in black and brown leather and another in brown nylon. They cost £49 ($76), that's the trouble. At that price, I dunno what kind of quality I'd be getting. Has anybody else heard about this?

http://www.wested.com/brown-leather-ind ... -525-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a link to the brown leather example.

Appreciate all comments!
riku1914
Vendor

Re: Wested Whips? I'm not joking!!

Post by riku1914 »

They're junk. Even in the picture ( which you think they would want the picture to be as good as possible ) the whips are junk.

Nothing on them is SA, there's messups in the plaiting, it's not a good taper. It wouldn't even make a good looking costume piece.

Don't get it.

edit: the plaiting seams twist faster than I thought possible, a complete twist in a foot, in the thicker part. It's much easier to

get a straight seam in the thickest part of the whip, and that one twists like a candy cane.

They look like a VERY inexperienced whip maker.
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Yeah I had a feeling they wouldn't be up to much. I was thinking of getting a new whip and I thought seeing as Wested are based in the UK and I live in Northern Ireland, it'd be better for me to get one from there. But oh well, off to Todd's I go and get one of his. I've never owned a Todd's whip, so this should be interesting. I'll be waiting until after the New Year until I get it, though.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

irishjones wrote:Yeah I had a feeling they wouldn't be up to much. I was thinking of getting a new whip and I thought seeing as Wested are based in the UK and I live in Northern Ireland, it'd be better for me to get one from there. But oh well, off to Todd's I go and get one of his. I've never owned a Todd's whip, so this should be interesting. I'll be waiting until after the New Year until I get it, though.
The Todd's whips are more Screen Accurate, but they aren't the best cracking whips. I've heard they may handle fine at first,

but they have been known to come undone, or break easily.
irishjones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by irishjones »

Well I honestly don't have the funds to be able to afford a top notch whip from the likes of David Morgan or Terry Jacka or the other well known ones. It's gonna have to be Todd's I'm afraid.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I bought a whip from jnicktem which he believes to be the same as the whips Todd sells (Wild West Whips). For the price, I'm very pleased. It looks fantastic and I can even crack it a little. So for a costume piece I'd call it ideal.

Still, I want something better to learn with, but I'm right there with you about the cost, which is why I'm going to try my hand at making my own whips. (I really want to make a half-size Raiders style for my son.) What could go wrong? ;)
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

The nylon one looks OK. I'd be interested to know the maker as they are made in the UK.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Indiana Dymond wrote:The nylon one looks OK. I'd be interested to know the maker as they are made in the UK.
The handle is herringbone not diamonds. The seams twist, and there are bumps in the strand drops. For nylon whip, it's too expensive for the quality it is.
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

So does anyone actually own one of these before bashing it? Id like to get a few opinions as im tempted to buy one. Im simply thinking as a display piece for my other Indy artifacts and gear.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

morethanatimelord wrote:So does anyone actually own one of these before bashing it? Id like to get a few opinions as im tempted to buy one. Im simply thinking as a display piece for my other Indy artifacts and gear.
What country do you live in? If you're interested in a display piece, maybe one of Todd's whips would be cheaper for you (and it would certainly look better!). If you're not in the UK, it might be more expensive to get the Wested whip, with the crooked strands and things.

Shane
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

morethanatimelord wrote:So does anyone actually own one of these before bashing it? Id like to get a few opinions as im tempted to buy one. Im simply thinking as a display piece for my other Indy artifacts and gear.
When you make whips for a while, you can see if a whip is good or not just by looking at it.
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Iam in the UK. A Todds whip would be far more expensive. Id prefer to make my mind up when i have seen actual `owned` Todd and Wested whips in some pics if any one has any? :)
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

riku1914 wrote:
When you make whips for a while, you can see if a whip is good or not just by looking at it.
Oh i dont doubt it :). But i dont want to base an opinion on just one picture on the site.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

morethanatimelord wrote:
riku1914 wrote:
Oh i dont doubt it :). But i dont want to base an opinion on just one picture on the site.
The whips are not well made, that I can guarantee. The strands are very uneven, the seams twist greatly, things on it are

there is mistakes in the plaiting ( for instance let's say a strand was suppose to go under 2 over 2, in a lot of places it would go

u1 over 3 or under 3 over 1 ) which is a very elementary messup.
done weird, and it's labeled as an indy whip, though there are many things on it that are not indy at all, things that are undisputed

as far as indy whips goes. They are what they are made to be, a display piece, however is all you are wanting is a display piece,

I would suggest Todd's. Their whips look more indy than the wested ones are.
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

If the only problems were that it is not an Indy whip, but a good bullwhip all the same, one could overlook that. But as Riku mentioned, when you've made a few whips, you can tell by the picture alone, or at least you can tell about THAT whip, which if it is there as a representation of what to expect, then yes you can judge the others on the basis of that one. I can't tell if a good-looking whip is any good without trying it, but I can usually tell a crappy looking whip won't perform up to expectations. The list of "mistakes" is long, and I won't get into enumerating each and every one, so let's just say that the whipmaker who made that whip, may know the rudiments of plaiting, and even then, not really well, but he doesn't know much about making whips. That thing would swing like a sausage with only slightly better action.

If you want a low-cost whip, have a look at the Cairo Bazar, or talk to people who make them; sometimes whipmakers have one-offs at a discount which might fit into your budget and those may not always be on their website. But never buy @#$% simply because you can afford it; that's absurd! @#$% is free, just walk into any pasture in the country and you can find a kilo of it within spitting distance, but what's the point? Save your money and get yourself a good, entry-level whip. You'll be happy with your purchase and at least you'll be able to learn with it. You don't need to spend the equivalent of a mortgage for a first whip and there are people out there who are beginners but who have pride in what they do and will make you a much better whip than this sort of "thing". Don't get me wrong, I do not usually speak ill of other merchants unless I am doing it face-to-face, and even then I try to stay within reason, but I say if you have the balls to offer such things, then you open yourself up to criticism and such is life.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

What you often see, is people will advertise their absolute BEST work on their website, and naturally so, that's what I would do.

If the whip on Wested is the BEST whip that person had ever done, you can see what to expect, especially trying to make a lot

in a small amount of time, because let's face it, these whips aren't there for quality, they are there for a cheap price.

What Franco is saying is 100% true, and you'll regret buying a cheap whip, and you'll even end up spending more money buying a

better whip, when you simply could have bought the better one in the first place.
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Thanks for the excellent Advice guys :H:
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i've had my todd's whip for over two years now and the only thing that happened was that the cracker came off , i just put it back on and its been on ever since , i have taken care of mine by occasionally oiling it up, i crack it all the time , and its a nice sounding crack , when i bought mine todd did carry another whip and he did note that thatone would not last long if you cracked it and that it was only for show , so i bought the 8ft whip and have been in love with it . if you don't have the money and you want a decent whip , i say go with todd's, until you can save enough to by a higher quality whip . ;)
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

morethanatimelord wrote:Iam in the UK. A Todds whip would be far more expensive. Id prefer to make my mind up when i have seen actual `owned` Todd and Wested whips in some pics if any one has any? :)
"I could get a good look at a T-Bone by sticking my head up a cow's butt but I'd rather take the Butcher's word for it.

-Tommy Boy

;)
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Contacted Wested the other day asking for more info on their whips. I asked if they could be used or were they just for costume purposes. I recieved a reply quite quickly basically saying that they have sold loads of whips to customers who have used them. That was about it really.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I call shenanigans. I'd be surprised if they've sold more than 10. I mean come on, just look at the whip's fall hitch... it looks like a Tootsie Roll.

Kyle
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

knibs7 wrote:I call shenanigans. I'd be surprised if they've sold more than 10. I mean come on, just look at the whip's fall hitch... it looks like a Tootsie Roll.

Kyle
I thought the same thing about the fall hitch! :lol:
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Im still interested to see how these things would perform or look :-k . Id never buy one :lol: but i would like to see one