Open to suggestions

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Open to suggestions

Post by IndyOriginal »

Hey guys. Not going to make this too long, but instead of going with a Legend (not Wings, think Will Smith) jacket for my next purchase, I'm going to keep searching for the perfect Indy jacket.

I've already got an old (circa 97-98) Wested lamb, and more recently a Wings CE, but the Indy jacket that I've always dreamed of still eludes me (and I'm not in search of the SA Holy Grail).

That being said, what I'm looking for in a jacket, and the reason I defer to COW members' considerable amount of experience in purchasing jackets, is a jacket with real character. I want leather that is grainy, and looks great after its been beat like a rented mule. Another aspect of the perfect jacket that I'm REALLY looking for is reddish undertones, such as seen in LC. I've long been considering Wings SL Legend (US), but I'm kind of worried that the skin may not be tough enough to last (I think I've seen pics of one of them tearing already). The HERO crispe is too Dino for my taste (Indy >> Jurassic Park), and dealing with Wested these days is not always an enjoyable experience (or so I hear). Other than that guys, I'm really open to any suggestions. I've seen pics of Tundra Raider's "grainy" GB, as well as pics of the older vegetable tanned GBs which reveal those reddish undertones that I'm so crazy about. That seems like it would be a great jacket, but hard if not impossible to find. Other than that guys, I'm REALLY open to input. I'm only a two jacket guy so far, and I know you guys know your leather :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Open to suggestions

Post by Texan Scott »

For a dash of cold water treatment, IO, :P ...the perfect Indy jacket doesn't exist, but there are some high quality viable options out there. From least expensive to more so, Todd's new Standard jacket. Of course it is lamb, but you can't do better in terms of a jacket that reproduces the look, $200. Wested's Hero jacket in seal brown goatskin. They also have some nice cow leather (Novapelle, predistressed, or HH) if going for the LC look. I'd defer you to the thread on the Hero. Next would be the very tough and durable G&B in goatskin. Tundy said he ordered a goatskin jacket that was very grainy, requesting that type of leather, and they really delivered. Magnoli's version of either the Raiders or Last crusade jacket in goatskin is worthy of consideration. Any of these choices would get you were you might want to be, but if you are talking tough, durable hide, cow, goat or HH would be the way to go.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Thanks for the input TS, I really appreciate it. One thing I want to clarify though - I'm not looking for "perfect" Indy jacket in any SA sense or anything...just perfect in regards to personal preferences. Still, you're right, that's a pretty tall order. :)

I agree with you definitely though that other than perhaps the Wings SL Legend, I'm probably looking for cow, goat, or mayber even HH. I like thicker hides.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

No prob. Whichever option you choose, let's have a look at it when it gets there. ;) :tup:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Sounds like you're more concerned with durability over SA. That opens the field considerably. As has already been said the GB in goat has the bases covered on look, durability and (very important) customer service.

Take a look at the USW Legend in bison. Gives you the Legend pattern with a tougher hide than lamb. I love mine and the leather has great character right out of the box.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

IndyOriginal wrote:Thanks for the input TS, I really appreciate it. One thing I want to clarify though - I'm not looking for "perfect" Indy jacket in any SA sense or anything...just perfect in regards to personal preferences. Still, you're right, that's a pretty tall order. :)

I agree with you definitely though that other than perhaps the Wings SL Legend, I'm probably looking for cow, goat, or mayber even HH. I like thicker hides.
I have a GREAT Wested HorseHide that I bought from another member here. That is one tough jacket, and feels like it too (thick and heavy). It's has special order longer sleeves which makes it a really really nice motorcycle jacket.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Sounds like you're more concerned with durability over SA.
Indiana Jeff, I don't know if its durability so much that I'm after. I already own a Wings CE, which as far as I can tell, is tough as nails. I'm really after a hide that just pops out with character.
Take a look at the USW Legend in bison. Gives you the Legend pattern with a tougher hide than lamb. I love mine and the leather has great character right out of the box.
I will really take that suggestion into consideration. I've never really looked at the bison much, mostly due to the fact that it looks fairly light in coloring, which my CE is as well. If possible, I'd like to go with something darker that can be distressed over time, revealing reddish undertones. This is the same reason why I hesitate with purchasing a GB. I've heard nothing but praise for the GB, and its undoubtedly a gorgeous jacket, but I've seen the new ones which are made with the chrome-tanning process after being distressed, and they seem to reveal a grayish undertone. Not bad looking, just not what I'm searching for.
I have a GREAT Wested HorseHide that I bought from another member here. That is one tough jacket, and feels like it too (thick and heavy). It's has special order longer sleeves which makes it a really really nice motorcycle jacket.
Actually, RaidersBash, this is one of the jackets that I have been considering. I've read from someone else though that they thought the stitching on Wested's HH was insufficient considering the thickness of the hide. Do you find that to be the case? As well, would you say that Wested's HH has plum undertones? Another little bit I read.

Anyway, thanks for all of the ideas guys, I'm going to keep looking around, but will keep up to date, and definitely post pics/review whenever I make a decision (hopefully soon).
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you can get a G&B in vegetable tanned goatskin, you'd be a happy camper.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I had a new HH from the barn, and the stitching was fine. Dark novapelle might be another consideration. When you begin to narrow the choices, it might be worth it to ask for leather samples?
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

If you can get a G&B in vegetable tanned goatskin, you'd be a happy camper.
Indeed I would Michaelson. But I have no idea where I'd find one. Nothing on the bay, nothing in bazaar. Doubt anyone would want to get rid of one anyway.
I had a new HH from the barn, and the stitching was fine.
That's good to hear...or is it? :-s The possibilities continue to range far and wide: Wings SL Legend, Wested HH/Novapelle, GB veg tanned if someone is foolish enough to let go of it :)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

It is now owned by John Vaughn. I wonder if we can conjure him up for a pic or 2... :P

Here's what it looked like brand new:
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Beautiful jacket TS. Thanks for all the help in narrowing down where to go next in the chronicles of my unhealthy leather obsession.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Anyone know if any of the Indy jackets out there today are veg tanned? I emailed GB to see if they can still do it, and I wouldn't be surprised if Magnoli can do it...but are there any other options?
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

If you want reddish-brown with grain, you might consider the US Wings Signature Series VIP Adventurers Jacket. I'm quite pleased with mine.

IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Wow, that's a beauty jacket Ron! I swear I've been through hundreds of jacket posts for over 3 years, and I don't recall ever seeing any pics of this jacket...I wonder why not. The reddish tone looks stunning. Thanks for the pics, I'm definitely going to consider this jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Really? Ron got his in 2009, and here's his report when he got it:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44634&p=641045&hili ... os#p641045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've been posting about the VIP since back in 2004. ;)

Regards! Michaelson