Best place to get a (Wested) jacket re-lined...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indydawg

Best place to get a (Wested) jacket re-lined...

Post by Indydawg »

Ok, so, I've got this late 90s Wested Raiders and the lining is much worse than I thought from the pics. I figured I might get some wear out of it before having to get it relined, but it's falling apart....lining hanging out of the sleeves, big rips inside...that kind of thing.

Now, it's a Wested, so my question is....who would be the best company to try to get this thing relined?

Bear in mind, the last time I sent a jacket to Wested for repairs, my jacket somehow ended up being sold to someone else and I never could get happy with one after that....I am mostly happy with this one...despite the fact it was sanded to artificially distress it, and because of these issues I paid WAY too much for it....
Indydawg

Re: Best place to get a (Wested) jacket re-lined...

Post by Indydawg »

Any recommendations you would feel comfortable passing on?

The only place I've ever used was this place Michaelson uses over near the airbase close to Tullahoma....and that job was pretty expensive, though I don't really know why.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Really? You do know I now technically reside in the armpit of rural Ga, right? ;)

But, point taken....I'll take it with me the next time I go to Athens...

Thanks, dude!
:TOH:
ID
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Dawg, have you thought of sending it back to the barn for the refurbishment?
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Like I said....the last time I did that, over ten years ago now, to have some work done on a collar (I'd bought a LC from Michaelson, then foolishly had too much length taken off the collar, so I sent it back to Peter to have the collar replaced), the jacket ended up going missing after it arrived....a month or so after, a guy from Texas posts that he got a "new" Wested that looked VERY broken in and well-used and, strangest thing, the collar was REALLY short....

I tried about ten more times to get something from them I liked as much as that first jacket, but never could get satisfied.

Eventually, I just went with an Expedition...and was very satisfied with it....

Then I returned after my grad-school hiatus, and madness set back in! :lol:

So, yeah, I've thought about it...but not very seriously.

Now, if someone happens to be going to England in the next few weeks or so and wants to take it for me... :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indydawg wrote:(I'd bought a LC from Michaelson, then foolishly had too much length taken off the collar, so I sent it back to Peter to have the collar replaced),:-k
Bought? :-s Uh, no. =;

That was the first round of trades we did when the G&B goatskin came my way, if you'll recall. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

METRO TAILORING.
Springfield, Illinois
(217) 744-6969

Mario specializes in leather jacket repair, linings,etc.

This could be an option for ya.

Chris.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Indydawg wrote:Really? You do know I now technically reside in the armpit of rural Ga, right? ;)
ID
Oooh, that doesn't sound so good. Have you thought about moving?

There's a local tailor here who has in his window, "specializes in leather alterations". I'd just dig around and check on tailors and see what experience they have with leather. The other thing is they have to have access to a decent selection of lining materials... Colors and types.

What madness is this you say? Buying things off eBay?
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Oh, no, M....the one I'm talking about was that very first distressed cowhide Wested LC I got from you....

Now, we traded on SEVERAL of the Wested's I had subsequent to that first one....and yep...for the Goatskin I still have that was first Mike's....the one he broke in on a cross-country motorcycle trip.

But, I bought my very first Indy jacket from you, my friend....then buggered up the collar.

I'll say this, though...this Wested I've got here....I'd bet MONEY it was made from the same batch of cowhide that first jacket I got from you was....dark brown, with reddish brown undertones....it looks good....even all sanded up.

And DANG, P...! :shock: That was fast, dude! I was looking at a google search, too...but, they didn't show up. All I could see was Masada Leather and Outdoor....was hoping Irvin could steer me...but, you nailed it, man! Thank you! Search over....I can drive it up there the next weekend I go!

Yeah, Tibor....we're trying to sell our house and are job hunting right now, actually....I miss Athens, man

Highest Regards! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sorry, Dawg, but I don't recall EVER 'selling' you a jacket, but if that's your recollection, so be it. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Indydawg wrote:
Yeah, Tibor....we're trying to sell our house and are job hunting right now, actually....I miss Athens, man
Now Athens sounds like a good place to find civilization. Good luck!
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Sorry, Dawg, but I don't recall EVER 'selling' you a jacket, but if that's your recollection, so be it.

Regards! Michaelson
Well, I'll concede your memory may be better than mine in most cases, but before I got that Indy jacket from you, I didn't HAVE one to trade with you...that was the first piece of Indy gear I ever got.

But, six of one...half dozen of the other....it's all water LONG gone under the bridge...heck, for that matter, science has proven that on a cellular level, we aren't even made of the same cells we were then...at all...so, we aren't even the same people....literally!

But, I remember talking the story over with Peter B. on my back deck when he and his family came to the US on holiday once when we still lived in Athens....

Ahhhhh....Athens....
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Now Athens sounds like a good place to find civilization. Good luck!
Yeah...it most definitely is that!

Thanks!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I know your past experience was less than stellar, but I recently had to have my 90's Wested relined, and leather collar stand added. I couldn't be happier with the results, and even with shipping costs the job was done for less than a local tailor quoted me. It's worth considering.

Here's the thread, and a pic of the result.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37863" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weston
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I have to say, Weston...that does look good....all cotton?

How did you go about sending it back?

You can PM me, of you want....
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

It's all here:

It cost me about 30 USD to send it off, and 40 GBP (59 USD) to get it back. That is still about $50.00 less than a local tailor quoted me for the lining alone.

Arranging it was easy. I e-mailed Wested to let them know it was coming, and mailed it to the address on their website. I included a note with the jacket. They e-mailed me back to say they would be looking for it. When it was done, I use paypal, sending the payment to wested@wested.com.

It was a very smooth transaction, no hiccups or delays. And yes, it's all cotton, body and sleeves. They even tacked down some loose stitching on the pockets, and repaired a hole at the cuff, without me asking them to do it. I was very happy with them, to say the least!

Weston
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

No, all they charged me was the $59.00. Maybe I was just plain lucky. Here's my reciept.

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 1SD95532CX794123W)

Original Transaction
Date Type Status Details Amount
Jan 30, 2009 Payment To Wested Leather Co Completed ... -£40.00 GBP

Related Transactions
Jan 30, 2009 Add Funds from a Bank Account CompletedYour transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account is complete.Your transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account is complete. Details $59.21 USD
Jan 30, 2009 Currency Conversion Completed Details -$59.21 USD
Jan 30, 2009 Currency Conversion Completed Details £40.00 GBP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Business Name:
Wested Leather Co (The recipient of this payment is Non-U.S. - Verified)
Email:
Wested@Wested.Com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weston
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:-k

Ummmm....wow...yeah....free lining change and stitch/damage repair...only shipping costs both ways....

They really must like you....

Exact opposite of my experience....although, admittedly, Peter and I did finally have a laugh about it all over beer...eventually.
_ wrote:Guess they like you - good for you! :TOH:
Weston wrote:No, all they charged me was the $59.00. Maybe I was just plain lucky. Here's my reciept.

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 1SD95532CX794123W)

Original Transaction
Jan 30, 2009 Payment To Wested Leather Co Completed ... -£40.00 GBP

Related Transactions
Jan 30, 2009 Add Funds from a Bank Account CompletedYour transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account is complete.Your transfer from your bank account to your PayPal account is complete. Details $59.21 USD
Jan 30, 2009 Currency Conversion Completed Details -$59.21 USD
Jan 30, 2009 Currency Conversion Completed Details £40.00 GBP

Business Name:
Wested Leather Co (The recipient of this payment is Non-U.S. - Verified)
Email:
Wested@Wested.Com

Weston
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Who doesn't like Weston? ;)
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Tru DAT, Scot.... ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

You know what? I LIKE HIM TOO!!! Matter of fact, Weston, send me ALL OF YOUR JACKETS and I will replace the liners for free!!!!!! :twisted:

:lol:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:rolling:

I owe you one o' these, T... :H:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

That's a fine offer Hollowpond, but I think Indydawg is the one who is in need and would benefit from your generosity this time 'round. :TOH:

Weston
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:lol:
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

In my talks with US Wings, they stated that for repair work, changing out liners, etc. they highly recommend and have some connection to Arrow Leather Fabricators in Kansas City, Missouri.

Here's the link to their homepage: http://arrow-care.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have yet to contact them though to see how much prices are for things but it's a highly recommended source from a big leather jacket company and since it's located in the US, shipping to/from there may be a substantially lower number than sending it off to the UK which I WOULD NOT suggest as you'd pay an arm and a leg for shipping alone, much less customs hassles, the prospect of it getting lost, etc etc. For something like a liner, I'd do it in-country if possible and as _ pointed out, you could probably even get it all done at your local alterations shop or dry cleaners.

Best of luck to you in your choice! :TOH:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Weston wrote:
That's a fine offer Hollowpond, but I think Indydawg is the one who is in need and would benefit from your generosity this time 'round.

Weston

Yeah - but he's all "surly" and "Southern"... Just not as - well - likable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk...
Hey.....I resemble that remark :-k

:rolling:

And thanks for reminding me Riv...I am going to try that shop in Athens, I think, first before shipping it anywhere....